Old newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You might want to think about drilling a drain hole below the spring shackle. Not draing. It catches and holds grave,mud and will cause it to rust out.
More then likely you have rust on the driver side floor are. Like when it comes a heavy rain. The floor gets(or got wet) Its because the vent in behind the emergency brakes lest water in. The reason is . The big bulge behind the fender catches all the water and it over fills. The reason it over fills is from all the years of leaves and dirt stops up the little drain hole between the bulgs and body. What I done to correct it is cut two good size hole in the bottom of each bulges. Now I can take a 5 gallon bucket of water and pour it in and nothe=ing gets in the floor. You can see the picures in my section.What they look like. Good luck.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the shackle, I've had that happen on Broncos before (never thought to drill a hole). This one's getting a 2015 F-150 chassis, so hopefully no issues there.
I love the FE's, The cougar in the pict has a factory 390GT, it's great! (Torque monster!)
I think I'm getting soft in my old age. Tired of fighting with carbs and todays fuel.
Cheers!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice on the shackle, I've had that happen on Broncos before (never thought to drill a hole). This one's getting a 2015 F-150 chassis, so hopefully no issues there.
I love the FE's, The cougar in the pict has a factory 390GT, it's great! (Torque monster!)
I think I'm getting soft in my old age. Tired of fighting with carbs and todays fuel.
Cheers!
I hate ethanol gas--I drive 20 miles out of my way to get 100% gas . Next thing the bought off crooked politicians will want us to do is put a bed sheet up on the roof of the vehicles and capture the wind to push the vehicles.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
If you haven,t already. Have you thought about putting STAINLESS parts on top of the support braces. Where the body bushings go. Make sure you have a fan and really good breeze blowing the fumes away from you.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Cheers!
I have a 66 Fairlane GT. It had the 390,but I sun a bearing in it.Then I put a 428 in it and blew the inside of it up. Then I dropped a 289 in it and it took alot more abuse then bothe the 390 and 428. Then it locked up and I ended up tearing it all apart. I don,t know whether to go back to the 390 or 289. I still have the GT parts. Either way--I,ll run alcohol again in it. I put the peg needle all the way to the peg on the speed-omoter when it hit 100,000. Had alot of fun in it and plan on having more.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I have a 66 Fairlane GT. It had the 390,but I sun a bearing in it.Then I put a 428 in it and blew the inside of it up. Then I dropped a 289 in it and it took alot more abuse then bothe the 390 and 428. Then it locked up and I ended up tearing it all apart. I don,t know whether to go back to the 390 or 289. I still have the GT parts. Either way--I,ll run alcohol again in it. I put the peg needle all the way to the peg on the speed-omoter when it hit 100,000. Had alot of fun in it and plan on having more.
That sounds like a blast! Well, they say theres no replacement for displacement! But, I had a 302 in my last stock car and I spun it to 8000 every saturday night for 4 yrs! That was pretty fun too. (Never had it apart, mostly stock except the rod bolts and the cam!)
Good luck!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That sounds like a blast! Well, they say theres no replacement for displacement! But, I had a 302 in my last stock car and I spun it to 8000 every saturday night for 4 yrs! That was pretty fun too. (Never had it apart, mostly stock except the rod bolts and the cam!)
Good luck!
I remebr a day. When I was with 3 friends. We were going over at his house to get a part for my friends car. Now the friends house. He had a buick with a 425--2 -4 barrels and my friend I was with had a 67Ford Falcom-4 speed with a 289. We had ran about 20 miles up mountains--down mountains with curves and straight . The falcon passed the Buick and after that. The Ford was always ahead to where the Buick couldn,t pass. When we got to our friends house. He wanted to see what John was running and we lifeted the hood. He couldn,t believe it.Then showed us his motor. Alot of it was the lower gear in the Falcon.. Same as when my friend out ran me. I was in hi vett--454--auto-running about a 10 race. Same as the ford-Buick area we had ran before. My friend was in his 66 SS--396--4 SPEED WITH OLDS 488 GEAR. He could get 70 real quick.Where he needed it in he straight. Its alot in the gear ratio. If you go to Florida on vacation and travel down I-77and 19 south the West ****** and have any vehicle trouble-call me or drop a line. I live about 25 from Summersville. Theirs alot of Canadians travel that route to Florida.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I remebr a day. When I was with 3 friends. We were going over at his house to get a part for my friends car. Now the friends house. He had a buick with a 425--2 -4 barrels and my friend I was with had a 67Ford Falcom-4 speed with a 289. We had ran about 20 miles up mountains--down mountains with curves and straight . The falcon passed the Buick and after that. The Ford was always ahead to where the Buick couldn,t pass. When we got to our friends house. He wanted to see what John was running and we lifeted the hood. He couldn,t believe it.Then showed us his motor. Alot of it was the lower gear in the Falcon.. Same as when my friend out ran me. I was in hi vett--454--auto-running about a 10 race. Same as the ford-Buick area we had ran before. My friend was in his 66 SS--396--4 SPEED WITH OLDS 488 GEAR. He could get 70 real quick.Where he needed it in he straight. Its alot in the gear ratio. If you go to Florida on vacation and travel down I-77and 19 south the West ****** and have any vehicle trouble-call me or drop a line. I live about 25 from Summersville. Theirs alot of Canadians travel that route to Florida.
Thanks a lot, I built a 289 years ago bored 0.60 over 10.25:1 comp with 4:11's, Thing was a rocket, (till I lost my license)
I
These days I'm spending the odd weekends wrenching on a nostalgia nitro funny car all over the states. If we ever head your way I'll certainly let you know. The thing is pretty cool! more power than I've ever seen! We did Bakersfield last weekend. HAPPYHOUR.jpg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks a lot, I built a 289 years ago bored 0.60 over 10.25:1 comp with 4:11's, Thing was a rocket, (till I lost my license)
I
These days I'm spending the odd weekends wrenching on a nostalgia nitro funny car all over the states. If we ever head your way I'll certainly let you know. The thing is pretty cool! more power than I've ever seen! We did Bakersfield last weekend. View attachment 29484
Well do you run at Bristol? Its about 200 miles from hear.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Well do you run at Bristol? Its about 200 miles from hear.
Not sure, she sends me the schedule as it comes up. Haven't been there yet, but that would be cool! So far We are running a bit more in the west so far. Boise, Tucson, Bakersfield, Seattle. If we come that way, I will definitely let you know!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Not sure, she sends me the schedule as it comes up. Haven't been there yet, but that would be cool! So far We are running a bit more in the west so far. Boise, Tucson, Bakersfield, Seattle. If we come that way, I will definitely let you know!
Sounds like you all do alot of running. I hate goin 10 for a part. I,d rather stay at home and do something. Guess I got thr runnint out of me.When I was in the army back in the late 60,s early 70,s. Take care and be careful

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sounds like you all do alot of running. I hate goin 10 for a part. I,d rather stay at home and do something. Guess I got thr running out of me.When I was in the army back in the late 60,s early 70,s. Take care and be careful
I hear that! I grew up on a dairy farm in the late 60's and 70's so we didn't go anywhere. So I'm doing this as long as I can. I built and raced stock cars locally here for 20 yrs with my boys. And this is the coolest thing Ive ever done!
5000 hp, 255mph in a 1\4 mile and we rebuild the engine every run in under an hour! As long as I'm able, Ill keep going!
You take care too!

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sounds like you all do alot of running. I hate goin 10 for a part. I,d rather stay at home and do something. Guess I got thr runnint out of me.When I was in the army back in the late 60,s early 70,s. Take care and be careful
Thank you for your service!
I bet you have some stories to tell!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you for your service!
I bet you have some stories to tell!
Thanks,appreciate it. Yeah I met some good people. Some really stuck out. I remember a guyfrom Montana. Reminded me of Hoss Cartwright. He had wrote to his mom.To send him his cowboy hat. It was one like Hoss wore. The day he got it.He was real happy and proud of it. This one guy from New York City wanted to see it. So the good guy let him look at it. The New Yorker dropped it on the floor and started stomping on it. Ole Hoss stomped that aloe boy real good.For disrespecting his hat and him.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks,appreciate it. Yeah I met some good people. Some really stuck out. I remember a guyfrom Montana. Reminded me of Hoss Cartwright. He had wrote to his mom.To send him his cowboy hat. It was one like Hoss wore. The day he got it.He was real happy and proud of it. This one guy from New York City wanted to see it. So the good guy let him look at it. The New Yorker dropped it on the floor and started stomping on it. Ole Hoss stomped that aloe boy real good.For disrespecting his hat and him.
Thats awesome!
I guess it takes all kinds!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I
These days I'm spending the odd weekends wrenching on a nostalgia nitro funny car all over the states. If we ever head your way I'll certainly let you know. The thing is pretty cool! more power than I've ever seen! We did Bakersfield last weekend. View attachment 29484
When I first saw the HAPPY---I thought of HaAPPY ******. .HAHAHAH Remember her? I have the book her some place.