Old newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well my motot was out of a truck and their is not alot of clearance,but I got it off. I want to put a new chain and high pressure oil pump in it. The motor looked brand new, Not a speck of dirt,but I went ahead and put he new timing chain and oil pump in it, It had the hood bowed on the truck I took it out of and had rusted a hole in the valve cover. THEIR WAS NO WATER IN THE PAN,. I went ahead and took the heads off and checked all the valves. Their was one that had a real small speck in it and I replaced it. I have about 3-4 inches of clearance between the motor and firewall . Also I put a new GATES water pump on it and they make alot of different parts MADE IN AMERICA, . To bad about the firebird. . Is the 76 body the same as the 81?. I have 2-ta,s and 2 firebirds .From 75-78. When and if I live long enough. I,m gonna take the parts from one and make another. My sister bought the TA new and she couldn,t drive a old car on the salty road. She had to act like a big shot. When it started rusting--I tried to buy it from her but she wouldn,t sale it.Then when her and her boyfirend broke up and she had no place to put it and it had started rusting bad--she gave it to me. It does have good gear. I bought a 76 with a good body and hope to be able to swith out the part.It has no motor in it--just a roller.
The 76 has a good body,rebuilt motor,new front end. All it needs is paint and some interior work. Its easy on gas and rides good. My sister and I fixed it up for my niece and what did she do? Her father-in-law was suppose to have touched up the paint. They parked it in the woods and one night on Facebook she was on their and asked me if I knew anyone who wanted to buy it I asked her what was she asking for it? Iasked her if she had the title and she said yes. I told her I,d buy it. NO WAY WAS I GONNA LET HER SALE IT FOR THAT PRICE--OF ALL THE WORK AND MONEY WE PUT IN IT. Well my cousin and I went to look what I bought. It made me mad-anyone who would do a nice car like that. It has moss growing on it. I took pictures of it. The next day we went back, I put a battery in it and told him to try it. It didn,t turn over all the way and started right up as if you just parked it and idled perfect.It sat for about 5 years i did blow a wheel cylinder bringing it homeand had to go over all the brakes.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Body is the same, this one's not as bad as it looks. A few panels and some floor and she’ll be as good as new

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Have you tried useing stick weld on them?
Not for a long time, I have a miller 210 mig welder. I got it to build the frames and roll cages for my race cars
I can do from 1/2” down to soup can thin. Anything 1/2” and over I go back to the lincoln.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Do you have any experience or knowledge about the Holley 650 4 barrel? I bought one and was thinking of any tricks on it . To improve the vaccum opening the barrels faster.
I have had lots of holleys, (they are way better than edelbrock or carters!
You actuall don’t want to mess with the vac secondaries. If they open too quick, youll get a lean stumble or even a backfire. I have had really good luck with the holley vac secondary carbs.
If you want to speed things up, youd have to go to a double pumper with mech secondaries.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You actuall don’t want to mess with the vac secondaries. If they open too quick, youll get a lean stumble or even a backfire. I have had really good luck with the holley vac secondary carbs.
If you want to speed things up, youd have to go to a double pumper with mech secondaries.
The double pumt 390per is what I had on the g. Still have the intake,carb and head and exhaust manifolds

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
The double pumt 390per is what I had on the g. Still have the intake,carb and head and exhaust manifolds
They run nice with a vac secondary carb, you might lose a tiny bit off the line, but you might gain a little fuel economy. (Very little)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have messed with some quadrajets and get a really rude awaken. hahahah They will wake that Pontiac up you have.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have messed with some quadrajets and get a really rude awaken. hahahah They will wake that Pontiac up you have.
I put a Holley 650 on the bronco. Couldn,t find a reasonable 4 barrel manifold priced.So I settle with a adapter. Don,t know yet how it will work out. You had any experience with the 2-4 adapter?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Not for a long time, I have a miller 210 mig welder. I got it to build the frames and roll cages for my race cars
I can do from 1/2” down to soup can thin. Anything 1/2” and over I go back to the lincoln.
So,how is the front floor area on the bronco? Any rust?

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
So,how is the front floor area on the bronco? Any rust?
Its perfect. The only rust on the truck is on the pass rail under the cap. Very weird place for rust. I have to teach at the college tomorrow, but Ill post a pict as soon as I can.
She was rode hard but put away dry

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Its perfect. The only rust on the truck is on the pass rail under the cap. Very weird place for rust. I have to teach at the college tomorrow, but Ill post a pict as soon as I can.
She was rode hard but put away dry
Well if you look down in the vents at the wire area. Water travels down it. Leaves and dirt travel down and build up. In the big bulge area. In front of the doors. In time--the small drain hole stops up and during heavy rains. Rain comes throught the vent. Down the side of the kick panel into the floor. To correct mine. I cut a good size hole on the bottom of the bulge. Now I can take a 5 gallon bucket full of water and empty it into the wiper area and it flows out the big hole I cut into the bottom of the bulge.Now nothing comes through the side vent or onto the floor.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well if you look down in the vents at the wire area. Water travels down it. Leaves and dirt travel down and build up. In the big bulge area. In front of the doors. In time--the small drain hole stops up and during heavy rains. Rain comes throught the vent. Down the side of the kick panel into the floor. To correct mine. I cut a good size hole on the bottom of the bulge. Now I can take a 5 gallon bucket full of water and empty it into the wiper area and it flows out the big hole I cut into the bottom of the bulge.Now nothing comes through the side vent or onto the floor.
wiper area

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Ill check it out for sure! Thanks for the heads up!
Ill do your drain modification either way!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Well it must have came in from the top. Also you might want to go all around the roof area and windshield. The sealant they used. Could have a small crack in it and caused it. They say around the windshield rubber will also leak.