Old newbie

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Hi all, I just found this site and it looks like a wealth of information and expertise! I was a tech at a Ford dealer for 15+ yrs and an automotive apprenticeship instructor at a tech institute from 99 till now (Don't do the math)
I have owned big broncos since 1980, (I had one baby B (76), and a couple in the 1980 - 86 body) ,but my heart belongs to the 1978-9 body.
I am currently resto-modding a 1979 Ranger XLT. So I'm hoping to find some assistance in here. I am also more than happy to help out any way I can.
Looking forward to my experience in broncozone!
Its got a long way to go, but, here are a few picts!IMG_2156.JPGIMG_2236.JPGIMG_2703.JPGIMG_3634.JPG

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome!

That was a big undertaking there. Nice to see people still have the heart to jump in and do mods this big.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thank you, It's a bit of a job for sure. My goal is a daily driver that will run on pump gas. I have quite a few vintage rides, and the ever increasing volume of ethanol in fuel is making carburetor tuning and maintenance a full time gig!
And FYI, I'm doing the whole build without any major mods to the body, so I can plop the body back on the 79 frame and put the old harness back in any time. (I didn't **** a Bronco for this)
Again, I am looking forward to interacting with other members, it seems like a fantastic group!
Cheers

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
and the ever increasing volume of ethanol in fuel is making carburetor tuning and maintenance a full time gig!
Have you ever considered building an engine for ethanol?

Been going through this lately. I am putting back together a 78 vette, ended up having to piece together an engine because the OE block was junk. So sky is the limit now right?
I ended up with 11:1 compression because of a last minute head swap, figured I will have to swap heads again, or at least head gaskets to get it down to run on pump gas plus additive.

I was really kicking around the idea of E85 engine. Alky carbs are made and laying around. Now all that is left is the fuel line to the rear.

great way to deal with high compression but have not researched the down sides. Still might swap it and try it after I worked the bugs out of the rest of the car. I know running on methanol helped keep the engine cool, but you burn twice as much. I have higher hopes for E85 ethanol.

E85 is plentiful and cheap around me. 100 octane is hard to beat.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
The sky is definitely the limit for sure, (or the bank account) I have no experience with E-85, (Sorry, we don't have much availability in my neck of the woods.)
Your theory is good though. I've read about quite a few guys making huge power on E85 with proper tuning. Go for it!
Just a note, if you are going to lower your compression ratio, Id go with heads or dished pistons rather than gaskets. (If the clearance between the piston head and and cylinder head(Quench height), gets much over .045", you start to lose turbulence in the cylinder which prevents good mixing and combustion, which costs power directly.
Just my 2 cents

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The sky is definitely the limit for sure, (or the bank account) I have no experience with E-85, (Sorry, we don't have much availability in my neck of the woods.)
Your theory is good though. I've read about quite a few guys making huge power on E85 with proper tuning. Go for it!
Just a note, if you are going to lower your compression ratio, Id go with heads or dished pistons rather than gaskets. (If the clearance between the piston head and and cylinder head(Quench height), gets much over .045", you start to lose turbulence in the cylinder which prevents good mixing and combustion, which costs power directly.
Just my 2 cents
Tiha, I used to run alcohol in my fairlane and it really made a different in power and mileage. I just pour a bottle in at fill up. No special carb. I did have two gas filters. Seems it would put out a little fill when mixed with gas. Gotta watch how you take off and be fast and watch the tach. I never had any troubles with it. Now this ethanol. It will even eat the metal off of the gas float. I know from experience . From what I read the other day. Ethanol is 3 times harder on the enviroment and hopefully it will be done away with. A friend of mine in Michigan was telling me. Since they started this ethanol. His brother and brother-in -law has become multi millionars and its ******* any gas or diesel motor. I drive 20miles out of my way to get pure gas. Ethanol gas isn,t good for anything--even to clean parts. Take some and put in a plastic bottle and set it on the shelf. Check in a week or 2 and look at the tar substance in the bottom of the bottle. The shake it. That goes into your motor and causes alot of problems. It is bad on any motor.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo L\Bronco,
Here's the 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual by Ford via Ziggy⚠ @
1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Manual pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.
It may be slow to download if you're finding that one website from which you download files operates slower than another, it's likely either because the web server is slower, or another device along the transmission route in the chain linking you to the web server operates slower.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1979-Ford-Bronco.pdf via Dezo's Garage

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
Wiring Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Rear Lights Diagram
Motor Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes Air Cleaner Diagram
Chassis Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack
Let me know if the downloads are worth the effort.

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

See Bubba's M-Block Ford V8 Workshop by Dave Resch
Be well Lil!
Al

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thank You for all of the info miesk5, I will start digging into it right away! I'm sure it will be very helpful with my build!
Cheers

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Yo L\Bronco,
Here's the 1979 Bronco/F Series Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual by Ford via Ziggy⚠ @
It shows Electrical component location, operation, troubleshooting, with wiring and vacuum diagrams.
It may be slow to download if you're finding that one website from which you download files operates slower than another, it's likely either because the web server is slower, or another device along the transmission route in the chain linking you to the web server operates slower.

1979 Ford Bronco Wiring Schematics, Connector Pin-outs, etc by Ranger429 @ 79 wiring schematics

1979 Bronco Brochure @ https://www.xr793.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/1979-Ford-Bronco.pdf via Dezo's Garage

1979 Ford Bronco vs. Blazer Article by Ford via Indybronco @ 1978 Ford Bronco Bronco vs. Blazer (79) pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

Ford Shop Manual Diagrams: 1978-1979 Full Size Shop Manuals, partial @ Technical Diagrams Archives
My Tablet takes hours to download, so try the first in this list as long as you have Adobe Acrobat 9 or later installed.
Includes:
This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes '78 Brakes Diagram, Gas Tank Setup Diagram
Body Manuals & Diagrams Download PDF This complete manual for the 1972-1979 Ford Bronco Includes; Upper Body Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, heater Ducts Diagram, Tailgate Diagram, Console Diagram, Front Clip Diagram, Grill Setup Diagram, Heater Controls Diagram, Interior Trip Diagram, Rear Sheetmetal Diagram, Tiltwheel Diagram, Tire Rack

Partial Chilton Manual for 1978, 1979, 1980, 1981 Bronco. Scanned by broncocity.com @ Bronco City

Be well Lil!
Al
I still have access to Ford service info online (back to 94), let me know if I can help.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Yo L\Bronco,

Includes:

Be well Lil!
Al
Thanks again miesk5, I checked out the first link, it only took about 25 seconds to load, I live in the country up here, so that's pretty good. The scans are really good!
I have a hard copy of the 79 truck EVTM and It save s my butt all the time while I'm blending 2003 f-150 harness with 79. There is a ton of info here so thank you again! Any info is worth the effort, especially in this old stuff!

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Nice work on the frame splice. Looks great!

Love the gauges too. You are a craftsman. Don't see that stuff much anymore.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks Tiha, much appreciated, Had to to the weird step to lower the kick by 6" so the body would fit. I'm trying to do the whole thing without hurting the original body.
The cluster is version 1 I'm looking for a Lightning cluster to do, this one is proof of concept, (I had to remove a lot to make it fit)
Did not want to start with something I had to pay big for if it wouldn't work!
Yo Yo L\Bronco,
How were the cross members on the frame?
Sorry, only on my second coffee, not sure what you mean miesk5? Or is that a dig? Those 3 pieces of scrap were temps to keep the frame from springing when we cut in.
I have a pict that is further along somewhere.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Lil,
I meant were the crosses badly rusted .
And I assume some body mounts were a wreck?

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Oh sorry, On the original frame there was rust around the pads but pretty clean everywhere else. (Its originally a California truck) I don't know how long its been up here, we saved her from a guy that started on her, then it looks like started parting her out. (Most of the A\c components were gone.) The frame is now 2015 F-150 supercrew 4X4 shortened 40" and fabbed body mounts. My boys call it mybronco25.jpgbronco24.jpgbromco27.jpgbronco17.jpgbronco23.jpg time machine (2015 meets 2003 meets 1979)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Its looking good. I can see your the type of person. Who believe s in doing it right and NOT HALF A--. Nice looking shop you have to.Looks like you have enough room to move around .

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Its looking good. I can see your the type of person. Who believe s in doing it right and NOT HALF A--. Nice looking shop you have to.Looks like you have enough room to move around .
Thanks, Its about 70' X38' we used to be a dairy farm when I was young, we have been working hard to convert it to a race\fab shop, it's far from ideal, but we can't complain for sure.
IMG_2470.JPGIMG_2126.JPGI don't think they are ever big enough though! (You usually grow till you exceed your space! My boys and I have 3 projects going in there now, so it feels small sometimes.🤣🤣

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks, Its about 70' X38' we used to be a dairy farm when I was young, we have been working hard to convert it to a race\fab shop, it's far from ideal, but we can't complain for sure.
View attachment 29475View attachment 29476I don't think they are ever big enough though! (You usually grow till you exceed your space! My boys and I have 3 projects going in there now, so it feels small sometimes.🤣🤣
You got that right. You never have enough room. My brother had a bronco the same color as yours. I have 2-78. Ones a XLT and the other is a Custom. I took the 351 out and put a 390 in it. Really woke it up. I could tell just buy taking off and I wasn,t pushing it hard at all. Keep up the good work.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
You got that right. You never have enough room. My brother had a bronco the same color as yours. I have 2-78. Ones a XLT and the other is a Custom. I took the 351 out and put a 390 in it. Really woke it up. I could tell just buy taking off and I wasn,t pushing it hard at all. Keep up the good work.
You might want to think about drilling a drain hole below the spring shackle. Not draing. It catches and holds grave,mud and will cause it to rust out.