1979 Bronco- 2003 Lightning swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Looks great
I noticed the frame is ENCLOSED. From experience I found out one day---they rust from the inside --out. Wouldn,t it be a good idea to be ble to fill it up with oil to the top---then drain it---so the inside of the frame would be protected from rust?

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I noticed the frame is ENCLOSED. From experience I found out one day---they rust from the inside --out. Wouldn,t it be a good idea to be ble to fill it up with oil to the top---then drain it---so the inside of the frame would be protected from rust?
Thanks Johnny, it's going well up here, we are hanging around 60-70 deg F up here, no snow for a while. Nice and green.
Thats a good idea about the frame. This ones clean inside, but Ill do something to protect it.
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny, it's going well up here, we are hanging around 60-70 deg F up here, no snow for a while. Nice and green.
Thats a good idea about the frame. This ones clean inside, but Ill do something to protect it.
Cheers
The reason I mentioned it. I had put a dump bed on my truck(a few years back) and the sub -frame was enclosed. I was working the bed--from under the truck frame. Had put a rail-road tie between the truck frame and sub-frame. I just touched the leverfrom under the truck and down the bed came.With about 12 ton of gravel on it and broke the sub-frame--it was almost rusted in too. I used caution under hydraulics and jacks. If I hadn,t that day---I wouldn,t be hear today.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The reason I mentioned it. I had put a dump bed on my truck(a few years back) and the sub -frame was enclosed. I was working the bed--from under the truck frame. Had put a rail-road tie between the truck frame and sub-frame. I just touched the leverfrom under the truck and down the bed came.With about 12 ton of gravel on it and broke the sub-frame--it was almost rusted in too. I used caution under hydraulics and jacks. If I hadn,t that day---I wouldn,t be hear today.
I called about my parts this morning--everything in but the oil pan gasket set--it suppose to be in tomorrow--like two weeks ago. I,d hate to be in the ambulance business.haha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I called about my parts this morning--everything in but the oil pan gasket set--it suppose to be in tomorrow--like two weeks ago. I,d hate to be in the ambulance business.haha
I just might start putting the body lift on while waiting on my parts--but it started raining.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
.......Wouldn,t it be a good idea to be ble to fill it up with oil to the top---then drain it---so the inside of the frame would be protected from rust?
[/QUOTE]
You can, in a different manner.
I used this particular apparatus to treat the inside of the chassis on my Toyota 4X when I got serious about doing the rehab on it.
First was a good hosing out of the chassis with a hot water, high pressure washer- Twice. After a couple days to let dry out, wire brushed the outside where the OEM coating had failed and surface rust had set in. Yes, that was Very painstaking! After all that, aired everything out good (clouds of rust, etc.) and then loaded up the jug with the Black Star rust destroyer. The flexible wands were easy to feed into the frame and once there, just start shooting and slowly draw the wand out as it broadcast-sprays the compound all over the inside of the chassis. After that, just brush applied the stuff to the outside and all done. Rust say 😵

Attachments

• 20220607_135514.jpg
    20220607_135514.jpg
    239.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220607_135532.jpg
    20220607_135532.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 3
  • 20220607_135546.jpg
    20220607_135546.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 3
OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
On one of my bronco,s. I mounted the auxilary lights behind the grill and I think it looks good and they are halogan and bright.
That sounds cool Johnny.
I have the chrome grille guard to go with the bumper and there are fog light mounts on it. Ill put something in there. Not sure if I want to go with old school driving lights or something LED perhaps. (Need to keep the deer away at night, it's a big problem up here)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
On one of my bronco,s. I mounted the auxilary lights behind the grill and I think it looks good and they are halogan and bright.
,I also want to go with a home made bumper for the front. With a hitch set up. To where I can use the winch on the front of back,but it will be wide enough to be abe to sitt or stand on. If you have to work on it. I hate the closeness the way to bumpers sit real close to the body and makes it dangereous if you have to try and stand on the.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
That sounds cool Johnny.
I have the chrome grille guard to go with the bumper and there are fog light mounts on it. Ill put something in there. Not sure if I want to go with old school driving lights or something LED perhaps. (Need to keep the deer away at night, it's a big problem up here)
Have you tried a cut out side pipe---with a cable attached under the dash. ?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Have you tried a cut out side pipe---with a cable attached under the dash. ?
I have one I bought off of J C Whitney along time ago. A fabricartor like you could mke one pretty easy. I,ll take some pictures of it and send to you .

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Made some more progress, (its been a busy summer)
Got the front end of the frame cut down and the bumper and lights in.
I’m getting very close to a cruise down the road.
Still no luck finding the 2003 f150 lightning PCM I need to run it. I switched to 30lb injectors yesterday with 5.4 32valve software and its pretty close now, (a little rich at idle, but if I have to be wrong, rich is the safest way to go!D8A25E2B-A041-45AE-8299-3AC38AEE9E13.jpeg19E40BED-2FDC-49CD-945A-1C9421043E5F.jpeg

Last edited:

Jimbo26

Reaction score
The suspense is a killer, eh? 😬
Gettin close to a spin down the highway here to. (Muffler shop 1st)
My wallet wants to idle rich, but always seems to end up lean! 😏
Good to see your making plenty progress.
1st and Goal. 🏈
Interesting that the other unit has the same paint scheme.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
The suspense is a killer, eh? 😬
Gettin close to a spin down the highway here to. (Muffler shop 1st)
My wallet wants to idle rich, but always seems to end up lean! 😏
Good to see your making plenty progress.
1st and Goal. 🏈
Interesting that the other unit has the same paint scheme.
Thanks, I agree totally! (Wallet too)
Yes, the other truck was supposed to be parts, but its way too good to die, Ill send it to someone else to enjoy!
Cheers

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Finally home from the racing circuit, Headed back from Boise Idaho on Monday. Back on the 79 now

Pulled the canopy to mount rear seats and finish wiring. Then carpets.
Getting close!
I forgot how great they look with the canopy off! bronco3.jpg
(T O P L E S S!);)
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke