1979 Bronco- 2003 Lightning swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny, will do.
It will live outside off and on. (I don't want to lose momentum.)
I need the shop to go through my F-150. We are headed to Boise Idaho in 2 weeks for a drag race. I'm taking my trailer to stay in. (can't stand hotels)
Gotta give her a look over before we hit the road.
Good luck with your solenoid wire. Make sure to get a solder on one. The crimp type fall off or corrode too quickly.
Cheers
I finally found my small bottle torch yesterday. I have some solenoid. Your right about wires falling off. One time in Va Beach I was in the fairlane. I picked up these 2 beach bunny,s. They got in the back and sat down. I was coming up to the signal light and THOUGHT as I ,d take off--have some FUN. i WENT TO GET ON IT--WATCHING THE BUNNYS IN THE STRING BIKINI,S AND WHAT HAPPEND? It quit.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Wire had fell off. Temember those one you pushed on the solenoids--it fell off. Plus I didn,t have fun. hahaha

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I finally found my small bottle torch yesterday. I have some solenoid. Your right about wires falling off. One time in Va Beach I was in the fairlane. I picked up these 2 beach bunny,s. They got in the back and sat down. I was coming up to the signal light and THOUGHT as I ,d take off--have some FUN. i WENT TO GET ON IT--WATCHING THE BUNNYS IN THE STRING BIKINI,S AND WHAT HAPPEND? It quit.
Thats how it goes sometimes!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
bWell your ding a good job

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
How much power do you think it will have and what kind of mileage it will get?
I'm planning to run the stock tune, so around 380hp and 450ftlb of torque. (hopefully)
With modern port fuel injection, and an O\D trans with a lockup converter, I hope the fuel mileage is better than a 351M, but if its not, I will me measuring it in smiles per gallon, (SPG)
Perspective is reality!
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'm planning to run the stock tune, so around 380hp and 450ftlb of torque. (hopefully)
With modern port fuel injection, and an O\D trans with a lockup converter, I hope the fuel mileage is better than a 351M, but if its not, I will me measuring it in smiles per gallon, (SPG)
Perspective is reality!
Cheers
What is the best mpg did you get out of a 351--400 with a 4 barrel or 2 barrel?

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
What is the best mpg did you get out of a 351--400 with a 4 barrel or 2 barrel?
They were usually around 7-8MPG with a 2 barrel, (I could never find a 4V manifold for one. I'm too cheap to buy new)
I got 13 MPG out of one of my 79's on propane. (The motor was built for it though)
The best I did was 14MPG on gas when I put a 7200 VV motorcraft carb on it. Lost some power though. (That was 30 yrs ago, so gas was better too)

johnnyreb

Reaction score
They were usually around 7-8MPG with a 2 barrel, (I could never find a 4V manifold for one. I'm too cheap to buy new)
I got 13 MPG out of one of my 79's on propane. (The motor was built for it though)
The best I did was 14MPG on gas when I put a 7200 VV motorcraft carb on it. Lost some power though. (That was 30 yrs ago, so gas was better too)
Yes,gas was alot better. Plus mix some alcohol with it.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Such a little thing like that makes it look so much more completed. Nice work.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Such a little thing like that makes it look so much more completed. Nice work.
Thanks Tiha,
it's actually amazing how much the small details change the outcome!
It's also amazing how much work it takes to keep it looking correct (In my mind anyway)
Cheers

Jimbo26

Reaction score
That's some kinda workup there
Should easily qualify for build of the year.
If by some chance you get buried alive in it by some nefarious land baron, you should be able to bust out twice as fast as a Mopar. 😏

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
If by some chance you get buried alive in it by some nefarious land baron, you should be able to bust out twice as fast as a Mopar. 😏
Thanks I appreciate that.
There are a lot of awesome projects out there though.
I can't wait to drive her for real! It's getting close.
I have to admit I have done a bit of off roading already on the farm (just to make sure the auto T\case worked)
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Oh please don,t mention mopar. Especially if its late mode or new one. The used to be good--no more.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks I appreciate that.
There are a lot of awesome projects out there though.
I can't wait to drive her for real! It's getting close.
I have to admit I have done a bit of off roading already on the farm (just to make sure the auto T\case worked)
Cheers
Its looking good L/Bronco.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hey Guys, I have posted a few picts here and there of my work in progress. I thought I'd try my hand at a build thread. I only started posting recently, so sorry if this isn't up to standard.

I restored a 1979 Bronco from the ground up in 1991 when my kids were very young 351M 10.5: compression, headers big cam about 400 hp, NP 4spd, Gear drive t\case, 36" BFG all terrains Ect. we loved her and she never let us down. I sold her for the mini-van (yes an Aerostar) when my 3rd came along. It was a very sad day.
Skip ahead 30ish yrs, and my three sons rescued a 1979 Bronco Ranger XLT from a guy sadly attempting to "fix it up" she was well on her way to the scrap yard. They gave her to me for my 57th birthday so I could hopefully recreate some of the magic.View attachment 29644View attachment 29646View attachment 29647View attachment 29648 This was the day she came home last March (2021)
How,s the weather up your way? Still snowing?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke