1979 Bronco Swing Out Spare Tire Lock

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Was looking at the rear swing spare tire rack on my 1979 Bronco and decided to make a lock system for it. Have never had a lock on it on all these years. Didn’t draw anything out just made it on the fly, started on one design that was just a cross bar style matching the lock tab with a bar centering the wing nut. After looking at it I decided to change, used a piece of Chanel strut to make a lock box to cover the wing nut completely. Primed and painted everything with Rustoleum primer and bed coating. Was looking at the wing nut, it’s a thin piece that’s 44 years old covered in a light brown rust in spots. So I blasted it clean mated a new 1/2 13 nut ground all the sides clean, pressed it in the middle then welded it to the wing nut. That hopefully will make it a little harder to steal.

IMG_2237.jpeg

IMG_2238.jpeg

IMG_2239.jpeg

IMG_2249.jpeg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Was looking at the rear swing spare tire rack on my 1979 Bronco and decided to make a lock system for it. Have never had a lock on it on all these years. Didn’t draw anything out just made it on the fly, started on one design that was just a cross bar style matching the lock tab with a bar centering the wing nut. After looking at it I decided to change, used a piece of Chanel strut to make a lock box to cover the wing nut completely. Primed and painted everything with Rustoleum primer and bed coating. Was looking at the wing nut, it’s a thin piece that’s 44 years old covered in a light brown rust in spots. So I blasted it clean mated a new 1/2 13 nut ground all the sides clean, pressed it in the middle then welded it to the wing nut. That hopefully will make it a little harder to steal.

View attachment 31788

View attachment 31789

View attachment 31790

View attachment 31791
Mike, I think I see what causes your back to hurt all the time. Its that little blue 4 wheeler

johnnyreb

Reaction score

View attachment 31788

View attachment 31789

View attachment 31790

View attachment 31791
I like that wheel. I spotted some like it the the other day going to Webster Springs. I asked my sisters boyfriend if he knew the guy who lived their. He said he did ==the guy has owed him $40 for along time.hha

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane