1979 bronco headers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JJC

Reaction score
Hi
I need some help with headers on my 1979 bronco 4x4, 400 cid, C6 automatic. I am in California, so my headers have to be California-approved to pass smog. I was running Sanderson shorty headers (junk) and they are not approved for California smog laws. I removed them and the only headers I found to be approved were Hedman long tube headers, part # 89216. I installed them and they fit very poorly. On the passenger side, the header is right in line with the cross-member. On the driver's side, the header comes down on the inside of the forward driveshaft (needs to be on the outside), hitting the driveshaft, and is in line with my transfer case. I called Hedman and told them about what was going on and sent them pictures. They agreed that there is a problem with these headers on my truck but had no answers on how to fix it. Has anyone else had this problem and if so, how did you fix this problem?

chrlsful

Reaction score
cut'n weld, if close - bang w/a hammer.

I'm not clear on the whole concept. 1) How can a set of pipes B approved or not by a state smog code.
Nuuuueext...
2) How can a company make a specific model of collectors for a specific Y/M/M rig and they do not fit?

(may B I assumed U got the correct for #2?).

OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Hi
It appears the headers are made for a 2-wheel drive and that would explain the forward driveshaft and transfer case issues. After calling around and talking with businesses, this is a common issue with these headers. These headers are the only ones I could find to be California smog legal and fit my 400cid motor. At this point, it looks like I am going to have to modify them myself. I may have to cut them and add a bend in the pipes, then send them out to be recoated with HTC. Thank you for the response.

John

OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Hi
I have worked with the people at Hedman for quite some time. I have sent them pictures of the headers installed and the problems I am having. The problem I am running into is my motor is a 400cid and they only make one pair for the 400cid. I have called many Header builders and they only make them for the 460cid that has a different bolt pattern on the heads. If I had the 460cid, I would not be having these problems, but the 400cid is the motor that came stock from the factory. Thank you for the response.

John

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Have Headman headers on my 79 don’t remember the model number but will look and see if I can find it

OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Have Headman headers on my 79 don’t remember the model number but will look and see if I can find it
What size motor do you have, is the truck 4x4, is the truck a bronco ?? The number should be on the plate that bolts to the head next to the forward tube.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Wow this is a Ford Bronco site, so of course it’s a 79 Ford Bronco 4x4 with a 400M, C6, have a 78 Ford Bronco too it also is a 4x4 with a 400M, C6.

Are you in California?

OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Wow this is a Ford Bronco site, so of course it’s a 79 Ford Bronco 4x4 with a 400M, C6, have a 78 Ford Bronco too it also is a 4x4 with a 400M, C6.

Are you in California?
Hi
I had to be sure we were talking about the same vehicle, that is why I asked about specifics on your truck. Yes, I am in California just outside of Sacramento and the headers have to be California smog-approved. The Hedman headers Part # 89216 are the only ones I could find to fit my vehicle and be smog-approved.

John

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hi
I had to be sure we were talking about the same vehicle, that is why I asked about specifics on your truck. Yes, I am in California just outside of Sacramento and the headers have to be California smog-approved. The Hedman headers Part # 89216 are the only ones I could find to fit my vehicle and be smog-approved.

-John
If you will look up under a 78-79 ----4 wheel drive pick-up or bronco-----------it is the same set up. Also mention if its a automatic or standard transmission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
If you will look up under a 78-79 ----4 wheel drive pick-up or bronco-----------it is the same set up. Also mention if its a automatic or standard transmission.
Jeff,s Bronco has Hedman for the 351-400 motor. NOT FOR DUAL SHOCK APPLICANT--for $349 plus shipping .Part number 200500-give them a call.

OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Jeff,s Bronco has Hedman for the 351-400 motor. NOT FOR DUAL SHOCK APPLICANT--for $349 plus shipping .Part number 200500-give them a call.
Hi
The headers you wrote about from bronco graveyard are the Hedman 89210, the same ones I have now, the only difference is the Hedman 89216 has the high temp coating on them. I am going to remove the passenger side header and use my tubing bender to try to get them to fit properly, then if everything goes well (yeah right) I will remove the driver's side and try to bend those tubes. I will try to send before and after pictures to make it more clear what I am trying to do. We will be applying heat to the tubes when we try to do the bends. Thank you for the response.

John

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hi
The headers you wrote about from bronco graveyard are the Hedman 89210, the same ones I have now, the only difference is the Hedman 89216 has the high temp coating on them. I am going to remove the passenger side header and use my tubing bender to try to get them to fit properly, then if everything goes well (yeah right) I will remove the driver's side and try to bend those tubes. I will try to send before and after pictures to make it more clear what I am trying to do. We will be applying heat to the tubes when we try to do the bends. Thank you for the response.

John
#1 one problem is you live in ****** cali. That is a stupid law. How can anyone prove one pipe puts out more emmisions then another ? Do what the politician do. The next time you take the truck in. Give them some bribe(oh excuse me politician) its called lobbyst money.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
#1 one problem is you live in ****** cali. That is a stupid law. How can anyone prove one pipe puts out more emmisions then another ? Do what the politician do. The next time you take the truck in. Give them some bribe(oh excuse me politician) its called lobbyst money.
Some of these laws should be changed. Like how to clean the air up. It doesn,r take someone to go to college to find a solution. Or how to prevent floods or droughts------------look at the clear cutting happening every where. Trees clean up the air--puts out ozygen---holds water back to prevet floods and moisture to prevent droughts. Select cutting was done for along time and their wasn,nt any problems like today---its called GREED.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Some of these laws should be changed. Like how to clean the air up. It doesn,r take someone to go to college to find a solution. Or how to prevent floods or droughts------------look at the clear cutting happening every where. Trees clean up the air--puts out ozygen---holds water back to prevet floods and moisture to prevent droughts. Select cutting was done for along time and their wasn,nt any problems like today---its called GREED.
Sometimes being nice to someone goes along ways. I used to sale coal and firewood to make a living. I,d always have pop and candy bars and cookies in my truck and offer them to people who I bought off of and sold too. Sometimes the loader would ask if I had any pop or candy and I,d tell him to help himself. SOMETIMEShe would give me the coal. I give pop to some people and the next year.They,d buy off of me again and I sent the Christmas cards. They,d that me and some of those old people didn,t know what pop was. Once they drank it. They would ask if I had any pop. I,d have different varietys to like lime,cola,cherry,organge . Being nice to someone goes along ways.

OP
OP
J

JJC

Reaction score
Sometimes being nice to someone goes along ways. I used to sale coal and firewood to make a living. I,d always have pop and candy bars and cookies in my truck and offer them to people who I bought off of and sold too. Sometimes the loader would ask if I had any pop or candy and I,d tell him to help himself. SOMETIMEShe would give me the coal. I give pop to some people and the next year.They,d buy off of me again and I sent the Christmas cards. They,d that me and some of those old people didn,t know what pop was. Once they drank it. They would ask if I had any pop. I,d have different varietys to like lime,cola,cherry,organge . Being nice to someone goes along ways.
Hi
I absolutely agree with you on the clear-cutting. On a trip to Canada to salmon fish, I could not believe the devastation done by clearcutting the forests, it was sickening. As for the days of getting someone out here to pass your vehicle on smog, those days are over. The fines are so high out here if you get caught, no one will get involved. This is why I have to have the smog legal headers here in California.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hi
I absolutely agree with you on the clear-cutting. On a trip to Canada to salmon fish, I could not believe the devastation done by clearcutting the forests, it was sickening. As for the days of getting someone out here to pass your vehicle on smog, those days are over. The fines are so high out here if you get caught, no one wi

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Move out while you can
Select cutting I believe in and so do the loggers. Its politicains that are making money from it. All they care about is making fast money now. They do,nt think about tomorrow

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hi
I absolutely agree with you on the clear-cutting. On a trip to Canada to salmon fish, I could not believe the devastation done by clearcutting the forests, it was sickening. As for the days of getting someone out here to pass your vehicle on smog, those days are over. The fines are so high out here if you get caught, no one will get involved. This is why I have to have the smog legal headers here in California.
Where easy money,s to be made--it can happen. I,ve even seen OSHA bought off. The Coast Guard inspectors COULD NOT be bought off. One thing . They were nice people and done their job--with NO KICKS BACK. I respected them for that.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Hi
Anytime you do something against the law---KEEP IT TO YOURSELF----their is jealous people out their. Especially relatives will talk. . Are you wanting to sale the shorty pipes and if so. What are you asking. I been thinking about a set. To connect into a set of Thrush side pipes on my 78 bronco

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke