1979 Bronco- 2003 Lightning swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Looks great
Well I never get to old to learn,but I think--for me to learn something . I have to take a interest. Like the electronic on newer vehicles and was thinking a little while ago. Start at the MAIN POWER SOURCE----THE FOLLOWER THE WIRE (S) to different relays and fuses.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Well I never get to old to learn,but I think--for me to learn something . I have to take a interest. Like the electronic on newer vehicles and was thinking a little while ago. Start at the MAIN POWER SOURCE----THE FOLLOWER THE WIRE (S) to different relays and fuses.
For sure Johnny!
Its a lot easier if you have wiring diagrams with component locations charts though.
I have a couple hundred screenshots of diagrams I'm using to mesh my 79 with the 2003 harness and keep it organized and stock appearing.
I really enjoy electrical challenges in vehicle though. Always have.
I'm finished the bulk of the wiring now, and everything works, even added some modern features like auto 4x4 and Vac controlled hubs (From the 2015 chassis) working from a toggle switch and relay.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
For sure Johnny!
Its a lot easier if you have wiring diagrams with component locations charts though.
I have a couple hundred screenshots of diagrams I'm using to mesh my 79 with the 2003 harness and keep it organized and stock appearing.
I really enjoy electrical challenges in vehicle though. Always have.
I'm finished the bulk of the wiring now, and everything works, even added some modern features like auto 4x4 and Vac controlled hubs (From the 2015 chassis) working from a toggle switch and relay.
I have been having trouble with my battery not getting . I thought it was the cables. Today I went to change out the positive side and it would go upon the solenoid terminal--not enough thread . I went to see why and their was a washer (I thought) Took it off and it had the wire from the switch broken off. I did,nt have the stuff to fix it.So I done a tempoary job and its working now. I wonder how many times--people has had the same problem and over looked the solenoid wire broken off?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I have been having trouble with my battery not getting . I thought it was the cables. Today I went to change out the positive side and it would go upon the solenoid terminal--not enough thread . I went to see why and their was a washer (I thought) Took it off and it had the wire from the switch broken off. I did,nt have the stuff to fix it.So I done a tempoary job and its working now. I wonder how many times--people has had the same problem and over looked the solenoid wire broken off?
I,ll get some stuff to fix it tomorrow. Coming back from the eye doctor.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thanks alot. I hate going anywhere .
Now that nice weather is getting hear and I have things to do outside. Wanna get on the bronco and get it on the road .Hopefully this week. Seems like theirs always somethings comes up. I fixed and replaced alot of worn out parts on it.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Now that nice weather is getting hear and I have things to do outside. Wanna get on the bronco and get it on the road .Hopefully this week. Seems like theirs always somethings comes up. I fixed and replaced alot of worn out parts on it.
They are more of a hobby than transportation!

Daytona_500

Reaction score
At first I was wowed and jealous when I saw the rust free tub, then I saw the build pics, and am literally floored! Amazing! "(No Broncos were harmed in the building of this truck!)" LOL. Pretty sure that Bronco is feeling like an old guy that just woke up as an 18 year old again.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Good luck!
everything went good yesterday. Did come upon a bad wreck. It took 4 big wreckers to haul a tractolr off. Bet that will be a big two bill. You couldn,t ene make out the make of tractor---It was demolished. Hope the driver made it out safely.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Still a long way to go, But its only been just over a year so far. Ill keep posting as she progresses.
Cheers
Probably took a person 6 months to get the belts on it. I,ll bet it took awhile. If you took them off snf forgot how they go back on.

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
At first I was wowed and jealous when I saw the rust free tub, then I saw the build pics, and am literally floored! Amazing! "(No Broncos were harmed in the building of this truck!)" LOL. Pretty sure that Bronco is feeling like an old guy that just woke up as an 18 year old again.
Thanks, Thats my goal!
(Plus I wouldn't mind waking up and feeling 18 again too!)

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Made some progress this weekend. First powered flight! A looong way to go still, but went forward, backward,(with B\U lights), stopped, Blew warm air from the heater. and a few more milestones!
It may not sound like much, but with the depth of the build, It was monumental for me!!
Have a great long weekend everyone!
Cheers

Bronco25.jpgBronco21.jpg

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Don't worry, those wheels aren't staying, they are the summers from my Harley f150. Needed something to move it around on with the new bolt pattern, the white spokes won't fit anymore!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Made some progress this weekend. First powered flight! A looong way to go still, but went forward, backward,(with B\U lights), stopped, Blew warm air from the heater. and a few more milestones!
It may not sound like much, but with the depth of the build, It was monumental for me!!
Have a great long weekend everyone!
Cheers

View attachment 29762View attachment 29763
Good for you bud. Now are you gonna park it outside? If you do. I notice something under the hood. You might want to order. The rubber piece that goes across the firewall. I see yours rotted off. Replace it and it will keep the rain and snow from getting under the hood. They were $15 at Jeff,s a couple of years ago. They do help alot. I went to start mine the other day--and I had a wire on the solenoid break off. I,m trying to find another connector.So I can replace it.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Good for you bud. Now are you gonna park it outside? If you do. I notice something under the hood. You might want to order. The rubber piece that goes across the firewall. I see yours rotted off. Replace it and it will keep the rain and snow from getting under the hood. They were $15 at Jeff,s a couple of years ago. They do help alot. I went to start mine the other day--and I had a wire on the solenoid break off. I,m trying to find another connector.So I can replace it.
Did the horn blow? Its gotta work,haha

OP
OP
L\Bronco

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks Johnny, will do.
It will live outside off and on. (I don't want to lose momentum.)
I need the shop to go through my F-150. We are headed to Boise Idaho in 2 weeks for a drag race. I'm taking my trailer to stay in. (can't stand hotels)
Gotta give her a look over before we hit the road.
Good luck with your solenoid wire. Make sure to get a solder on one. The crimp type fall off or corrode too quickly.
Cheers

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK