I broke my Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Yardape

Reaction score
I went on a wheeling trip recently and damaged more on my poor truck than I have ever done to another vehicle combined. I don't think I was overly rough on it, was a normal outing in an area I am very familiar with. The other Bronco I was with had 37 inch boggers, I was his personal pull toy for the day as it turned out. Came across many deep mud holes, over my hood. The first major hole I got stuck in, I just dropped the front end in the hole and I was stuck. That was the first time I was actually mad I got stuck, I could put my foot under the front tires, from the ruts. I broke my brake lines, blew out a chunk of the water pump gasket, destroyed my k/n air filter, filled the distributer with mud, caved in my new front bumper, slide the whole front clip to the drivers side 1/4 inch from falling in a mud hole I was so cleverly sneaking past on the ruts, until I fell in. That sucked. Blew my alternator, Fuel pump relay and broke the EGR valve to intake manifold tube. Oh yes and not to mention the throttle started sticking wide open. I removed the upper intake manifold to get to the valve cover that has been leaking forever, thats when I discovered the EGR tube. Changed the gasket, Cleaned everything up figured out what was causing the throttle to stick, fixed everything, and cleaned everything I foung along the way. New cap,rotor,wires and plugs, cleaned the distributor. Fired it up and It ran awesome,forgotto mention barely ran the next day after wheeling). Then it wouldnt start again. narrowed down to fuel pump problem, tryed new relays for fuel pumps and worked. Now it runs good but blows black soot out the tail pipe. Its like dry carbine. really weird. Smokes blue once and a while too, but doesnt smell like fuel. Anyone have this happen too them? Kind of stumped. A friend told me a head gasket might be blown but sounds weird to me. I blocked the EGR off would that cause this? Or is there a serious problem. No water in oil or anything, only signs are the soot and occassional smoking.

Thanks in advance

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Country

Reaction score
well there is definitely not a good mixture when it comes time for combustion. i would lean toward the heads myself. sorry i can't help much more than that.

OP
OP
Y

Yardape

Reaction score
Yeah, its odd. I'm just hoping to get through the winter then its 460 time. Thanks for the support... I'm still driving it, everyday until its dead.

bidibronco

Reaction score
If your head gasket's bad then you'll most likely be blowing white smoke. Since you said that it was blue smoke that indicates oil for the most part. Did the truck sit on its side for a minute or were you running HIGH RPM's? My guess would be burnt rings or a floated valve.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23