My '84 bronco of yore

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have had totes full of photos for years. When the weather got cold this winter I finally started scanning some.

Have scanned close to 4000 pictures, maybe half done. Fun and frustrating at the same time.

Anyway, we were talking about this truck this morning at work. Brought up some funny memories. Thought I would share.

Many more pictures scanned of this one, just haven't made them accessible yet.

So this is a 1984. I was driving a 1973. The '73 was my main vehicle. I was putting close to 500 miles a week on it. If you had driven the EB's much. That was a lot. LOL.
Used my 73 for towing and pretty much anything. Was wanting to get something bigger.

I remember specifically thinking it would be nice to have a tow vehicle wide enough to see around the trailer and that really was my biggest motivation for getting something else.

This was 1989-1990 when I bought this so nobody wanted to take my 73 in trade. Even though it was in excellent shape.

Found this 1984 on a dealer lot. It was the standard 2 tone red and white like on the chilton manual. It had the all red interior which I have never been a fan of red. But I drove the truck and loved it.
That dash and body style have always been my favorite.

85k miles. Drove it a week and the timing chain went out of the 351. Fixed it, but that is when I started scheming the 460 swap.

Drove the crap out of it until after my first kid was born. At that point I think we all know what it is like getting car seats in and out of broncos.

Then it was time to go.

picture is as I sold it. 4" lift. pretty healthy built 460 and C6.

I'll have to dig out more pictures and add more details later.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    310.7 KB · Views: 2
  • img115 (1).jpg
    img115 (1).jpg
    309.1 KB · Views: 2

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo T,

Thanks for the reminiscent!
I went through the same with our 78, bought with about 120 miles.. It started every day and our @ 1 son took it to local sand pit and jumped it
Will look for pics.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Awesome story Tiha!
My last 79, (Before the resto mod) was just about the same story. I went from an 82 toyota SR5 pickup to my 79 with a built 351M 4 spd. It left when the 3rd kid came.
Sadly, no picts.
Awesome 84 though!
Cheers

OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Found some more pics.

Picture the day I brought it home, next to my 73, Not great I know.
Crazy with cell phones how we have so many more pictures.
2nd and 3rd pictures I would imagine I already had the 460 put in. I cannot imagine trying to pull full wagons with a 351.
That poor bumper hitch. They were never made for that kind of weight.
I bent one bumper, can't remember if it was on this bronco, or on the 73, trying to pull a full wagon and it bent the bumper. LOL

Attachments

• img139.jpg
    img139.jpg
    476.7 KB · Views: 1
  • img121.jpg
    img121.jpg
    431.9 KB · Views: 1
  • img122.jpg
    img122.jpg
    484.9 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Took that bronco across country and up the coast in the pacific NW,
It was a nice drive but I hated having to stop and get fuel about every 180 miles. It made the trip seem like it took forever.

Attachments

• scanned097.jpg
    scanned097.jpg
    415.1 KB · Views: 1
  • scanned831.jpg
    scanned831.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 1
  • scanned830.jpg
    scanned830.jpg
    313.1 KB · Views: 1
  • scanned833.jpg
    scanned833.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 2
  • scanned836.jpg
    scanned836.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 1
OP
OP
Tiha

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple years after painting and 4" lift.
When I painted it, I usually paint outside. While I was putting the clear coat on it rained. My clear had little holes in it.
Yep, just my luck. Had to sand then clear again.

It had 33x12.50 15 tires on it. They were Goodyear GSA. Don't know if you all remember them, but they were a type of triple tread. The inside was the most aggressive, middle was medium and outside was very quiet street treat.
They sucked. LOL driving in rain, the way I had them mounted they channeled all of the rain up under the truck and it was noisy and scary to drive.

Have to say out of all of my broncos this was probably the one I miss the most.

Attachments

• img117.jpg
    img117.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 1
  • img118.jpg
    img118.jpg
    308.7 KB · Views: 1
  • img120.jpg
    img120.jpg
    325.1 KB · Views: 2
  • img136.jpg
    img136.jpg
    352.2 KB · Views: 1

johnnyreb

Reaction score
It was a nice drive but I hated having to stop and get fuel about every 180 miles. It made the trip seem like it took forever.
You would have thought . It would have been easier and faster to go around the tree. hahaha

johnnyreb

Reaction score
It was a good thing you never had west coast mirrors and (hopefully) tool to take them off and put back on it needed. I wonder also if the people who made the road. Would have THOUGHT it would have been alot easier to drive around the tree. haha Remindd me of the FBI raid they had on the internet. During Obama time. They were jumping across this chain link fence,. When the LAST agent opened the gate. They took alot of slack over that.hahaha

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar