What did I do with my Bronco yesterday?

mikefamig

Reaction score
I got stuck and had to tow it home.

The transmission has been shifting a little funny after sitting for many years and I wasn't too worried about it and put it low on my priority list of things to fix. It would occasionally start off in third gear after coming to a halt and it was recommended to me that I put it in reverse and accelerate and sure enough that fixed it until the next cold start.

Well yesterday I was bout 15 miles from home and the tranny quit altogether sitting in gear at a red light. When I tried to drive away it just slipped. I was able to crawl to the curb and get a tow home.

So now it sits waiting for an appointment at the transmission shop. This is one that I am going to hand off to the shop being that it is heavy to remove, I am working alone, I have limited knowledge of auto transmissions and I don't have a lift for the job. I do have a parking lift but it was custom made short to fit in a small garage space and it only lifts short wheelbases.

Oh well time to put the Bronco on the back burner and do some yard work

IMG_2536.jpg

Last edited:

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Always a bummer when that happens.

Doing transmissions at home can be a rabbit hole inside a rabbit hole. So much information out there, while reading it is easy to believe you need every fix and every update. But you really don't. On a stock bronco the trans will usually last plenty long enough with proper service and cooling.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Always a bummer when that happens.

Doing transmissions at home can be a rabbit hole inside a rabbit hole. So much information out there, while reading it is easy to believe you need every fix and every update. But you really don't. On a stock bronco the trans will usually last plenty long enough with proper service and cooling.

When I was younger and more ambitious I would want to learn it but now i want it fixed.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Eventually we are all going to go down this road.

Any price quotes and your feedback is truly appreciated.
Paul:

Will do but keep in mind that I am in Connecticut and in a suburb where everything cost more. Right now I'm waiting for a call-back from a reputable transmission shop. They are willing to keep it indoors but need to get a car out before they can get mine in.

I'm hoping that it is something that can be repaired without removing the tranny or a complete rebuild, wish me luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phillycc