what year did they start putting fuel injection into broncos?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
85 was the first year for the 302, 88 was the first year for the 351.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
the answer is more than likely infront of my face. . . just thought I'd ask.
;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
While I've never seen an injected 85' and the manuals don't refrence it I suppose the late models could have been equipped with it. Generally speaking 86' was the first year the 302 was injected (with Multiport anyways, maybe some of the 85's had the CFI throttle body injection that the Mustang/T-bird & Crown Vic got but again I've never seen anything in the manuals about it) and then in 88' the 351 was added. All 88' and later Bronco's are fuel injected

OP
OP
BabyBronc

BabyBronc

Reaction score
I figured it had to be somewhere right in there, but you never know. . .

Thanks guys!!!! :wub:

shift1313

Reaction score
ditto on the 86 for the 302. i had one. i think 86 or 87 was when the 4.9l got it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo, a little late, but here is some = info +

"1985: had some engine changes. the I-6 now had a serpentine belt. The big change was the 302, multi-port EFI. HP for the 302 was now 190 and torque was up to 285. This motor was avail in California only with a manual trans. The 351 and 351 ** motors were optional. The Eddie Bauer trim package debuts, brought to the full-sized Bronco due to fabulous success with the Bronco II. Also, midside body moulding changed from chrome to black plastic.

1986: saw the 351 CID standard engine deleted, but the 351 ** was still optional. A new overdive 4 speed automatic (AOD) was offered with a .667, 4th gear when combined with the MPI 302.

1987 featured another major body restyling for the Bronco. The new aero look was in and the Bronco followed suit. The transfer case was replaced by a Borg-Warner 1356 with a 2.69 low range. 4.10 gearing was optional. Touch drive was first offered this year. The 351 ** V-8 was still optional and the 300 CID I-6 recieved Multiport fuel injection (MPI). Rear anitlock brakes were made standard.

1988: Two 5spd manuals, M5OD and M5OD-HD(?) were available. The overdrive was .8 and the HD tranny had a 5.72 first gear. The 351 CID V-8 was treated to MPI. HP increased from 190@3800-210@3800. Torque increased form 295@2600-315@2800. The entire engine line was now fuel injected and also serpentine belt equipped. Transfer case skid plate was now standard..."

History

Source: by Trent R at ford-off-road.com - Ford Truckin' Magazine; 1997 winter issue

& for your reading pleasure:

FAQ (full version), Bronco

Source: by Matt K at off-road.com via web.archive.org

LOSTinthewoods

Reaction score
miesk5 I grew up on Long Island in New York state, and In 1985 my mother whent to the ford dealer and bought a brand new full size xlt. The dealer asked if she wanted the new fuel injected v8 of coarse she said yea. She came home with a 1985 full sized bronco xlt it was jet black with the maroon velour interior and factory alloy wheels with i think 31's and a tow package we opened the hood and it had a 302 with the plentum we all know so well. That truck is what made me love the bronco so much. After 20 years of owning and mantaining the truck we learned that the fuel filter and other things like belts weren't the same as an 86 they were from an 85 mustang. It was a little difficult when buying parts for the truck because some of them were just made for that year bronco. But to this day i have not seen an 85 carburated engine.

shift1313

Reaction score
miesk. that info isnt totally correct. ive sent an email to the webruler. my 85 4.9l is not a serpentine belt system.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
miesk. that info isnt totally correct. ive sent an email to the webruler. my 85 4.9l is not a serpentine belt system.
thnx Shift and Lost!

I now see a pal, Aikidoka had a V belt in his 86.

Trent has a few more errors &/or omissions in his article. Hopefully he or da web master will respond to your e mail.

Ford did a lot of mid-year model revisons and parts swap (between models) thru the years. Much confusion' esp with locking hub changes, etc. In fact, when I called a local parts supplier looking for Motorcraft "SuperDuty" brake pads for my 96, the dude told me the SD pads wont fit! i tried to 'SPLAIN that the SuperDuty is Ford's brand name for the better pads, not the F series model Super Duty.

keep up the History info!!!!!!

Broncobill78

Reaction score
thnx Shift and Lost!
I now see a pal, Aikidoka had a V belt in his 86.

Trent has a few more errors &/or omissions in his article. Hopefully he or da web master will respond to your e mail.

Ford did a lot of mid-year model revisons and parts swap (between models) thru the years. Much confusion' esp with locking hub changes, etc. In fact, when I called a local parts supplier looking for Motorcraft "SuperDuty" brake pads for my 96, the dude told me the SD pads wont fit! i tried to 'SPLAIN that the SuperDuty is Ford's brand name for the better pads, not the F series model Super Duty.

keep up the History info!!!!!!
I think someone could probably write a BOOK about all the late & mid-year changes Ford made over the years. It's amazing just how many stock/factory trucks you run across that are mid/late-year model changes and have EFI or anit-lock or whatnot and the factory literature says nothing about it. It's too bad more people don't have the original window stickers, what a great resourse THAT sort of thing would be

Last edited by a moderator:

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Speakin of all that, wanst 87 actulley the year when Ford *started* puttin FI on all there engines? Becuase before i got my 86 i test drove a 87 F-250 with a carburated 460, i saw an 87 sittin the parking lot at my school one day that said EFI under the headlight instead of 4x4. My old teacher has an 87 Bronco with EFI, but i called on a 87 Bronco that had a 4bbl.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well, according to the factory manuals at any rate, here's the deal: the 87' manual shows the 300 & 302 as being FI while the 351 is still carb'd. The 88' manual shows all of the engines (4.9, 5.0 & 5.8) as being injected and there's no mention of a carb anywhere that I can find. So as far as the manuals go, 88' would be the first year that *all* of the available engines were injected.

shift1313

Reaction score
redneck. the 2wd trucks had the efi badge on them, the 4x4 still would have been efi but they had the 4x4 badge under the headlight(for 87-91) that i know of.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Shift, i cant remeber if this truck was 2wd or not, i just remeber bein told it was an 87. My friends 90 F350 says 4x4 and its has the EFI460, so i think your right.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Shift, i cant remeber if this truck was 2wd or not, i just remeber bein told it was an 87. My friends 90 F350 says 4x4 and its has the EFI460, so i think your right.
Hmmm, very interesting. You boys raise a good question. I would *assume* that if the 87' 351's were carb'd then there's a very good chance that the 460's were as well. Ford seemed to be working their way UP the ladder as far as engines & emissions went and you would assume that the 460's would also be carb'd until the last possible minute especially seeing as the 460's were only installed in what were *heavy duty* trucks, and all HD vehicles were emissions exempt at the time. If you go thru the history that's why the 78' Bronco's had no emissions hardware and 79's DID. At the end of 78' the rules changed and HD vehicles were reclassified by GVW and under the new rules Bronco's were NO LONGER HD trucks and had to comply with the same emission regs as everyone else which is why they suddenly sprouted all that emissions hardware overnight.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Well like i said up above i test drove a 87 F250 before buyin my 86. To be exact it was a 1987 F250 4x4 Super Cab with a carbureted 460, it was also a work model, power nothin, no AC not even a tape player just a AM/FM radio. Not sure if that would have anything to do with it...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23