what is best engine?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NotaVegetarian

Reaction score
Cool they just had an episode on Roadkill Garage 3 Day engine overhaul of the 351 Cleveland fun watch, and they put the wrong flywheel on it and still tried to start it..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Well the op 13+years ago wanted a daily driver and wanted it to sound cool. Put some glasspacks on a 4.9 and it will set off every car alarm within 2 blocks plus. And it will get decent economy. And you can't **** the motor. I have one on a 77 f250 and it moves the rig great, with the Borg warner manual and a 4.10 rear. Sure don't go fast tho. Haha. But I'm clocking 485k on the truck, rebuilt the engine at 303k and its still running strong with 30+ psi oil pressure at idle 12 years later.

Zeus78

Reaction score
Find a used 460, preferably pre 1972 and drop it in. Get the bigger radiator, L&L mounts and some headers and call it a day.
The 460 is a power-house right out of the box as long as you don't get those smog heads (cant recall the model number on those heads, something like D2VE).
It’s a simple swap and you will be amazed at the grunt a 460 has.
From there, you can upgrade the intake, carb, timing etc… or maybe just put a holly injection system on it.
Mine has a 466 with some goodies, I put 4.11 gears and lockers in it, it walks over obstacles others struggle with.
To me, there are fewer drawbacks with a 460 than any other motor that would be an option.

chrlsful

Reaction score
like every automotive Q the answ is in "What is the application?"
An auto is a system (w/several sub-systems, even ele as several - charge, start. run, lights/dash.gauges, sensors, etc, etc). What U do to 1 prt effects the others. Change an engine = change other stuff...of suffer.

I have the EB. It was a woods "wrk truck" for 37 yrs. It hada i6 170/2.8. It is getting retired to 70%rd / 30% off rd & hasa i6 4.1, 5 speed rather than the 3 speed (1 under for crawl, 1 over for interstate OD). The i6 isa low rev tq-er. no tire spin like the bent8. Currently training my da (soon to own) on a *** manual...
OK, ok, short answ: "It depends"
/OR/
Y not the 4.9/300? It has been named "the gasser that's a diesel." and is ford's million mi motor (like MB OM617 turboed Diesel, the 2 slanties frm MOPOWR, etc)?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke