What is this Connector

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoNewbie1100

Reaction score
Here's the situation, bought a Bronco in milk crates. It was a 5.0 truck swapped with a 5.8. I put then engine and trans in hooked up everything and I'm left with there 2 connections. I have no power inside the cab of the truck, no lights, a good battery with 12.6v and everything inside the cab is hooked up and hasn't been touched. Please let me know what they are. Drivers side wires look like it's probably the AC parts which this engine doesn't have an AC pump.

Passenger side connector
20220214_161554.jpg20220214_161551.jpg

Drivers side wires coming out the firewall
20220212_201121.jpg

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
The first connector picture is for the blower speed resistor.

The other wires that are bare, not sure yet. Have to look through the wiring diagrams and try to match up colors.

BUT, they have nothing to do with power inside the cab. Need to check fuse box under the hood. If there is power there, then you need to check fuse box inside cab.

Forget those wires and get power to everything first. Maybe take some more pictures. Like does the positive terminal on the battery have 2 wires going to it? One wire to the starter, one wire to the fuse box?
Or is there a starter solenoid on the pass fender, how many wires on each side of that?

So depending on year it can help us a lot.

We are just shooting in the dark here.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNewbie1100

Reaction score
The first connector picture is for the blower speed resistor.

The other wires that are bare, not sure yet. Have to look through the wiring diagrams and try to match up colors.

BUT, they have nothing to do with power inside the cab. Need to check fuse box under the hood. If there is power there, then you need to check fuse box inside cab.

Forget those wires and get power to everything first. Maybe take some more pictures. Like does the positive terminal on the battery have 2 wires going to it? One wire to the starter, one wire to the fuse box?
Or is there a starter solenoid on the pass fender, how many wires on each side of that?

So depending on year it can help us a lot.

We are just shooting in the dark here.
Thanks for the reply

Its a 1983 original 5.0 truck.

There is only 1 wire on the battery terminal that goes to the starter solenoid then to the alternator which then goes to the resistor pack? Photo below which then leads into the cabin.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Where is the photo? LOL

The starter solenoid, One side should be the wire going to the starter all by itself.

On the other side, every wire with a bigger eyelet on it should be there. The battery wire, alternator wire, should be some smaller wires as well, that are actually fusible links.

OP
OP
B

BroncoNewbie1100

Reaction score
Where is the photo? LOL

The starter solenoid, One side should be the wire going to the starter all by itself.

On the other side, every wire with a bigger eyelet on it should be there. The battery wire, alternator wire, should be some smaller wires as well, that are actually fusible links.
They didn't upload the first time, here they are. I did a conductivity test on the fuse link and I have connection for on some to the other on it.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
In your picture it looks like there is only one wire on the battery side of the solenoid?

In the random internet picture I grabbed there should be at least one more.

In the wiring diagram attached there should be 2 more.
A fuseible link/yellow running to the EEC relay and Black and orange running to the voltage regulator/alternator.

The fusible link running to the EEC relay is why you have no power in the cab or ignition switch.

Can't tell from the picture, but the other side of the solenoid should go to the starter not the alternator.

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    256.8 KB · Views: 11
  • wmwiring84.jpg
    wmwiring84.jpg
    380.1 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
B

BroncoNewbie1100

Reaction score
In your picture it looks like there is only one wire on the battery side of the solenoid?

In the random internet picture I grabbed there should be at least one more.

In the wiring diagram attached there should be 2 more.
A fuseible link/yellow running to the EEC relay and Black and orange running to the voltage regulator/alternator.

The fusible link running to the EEC relay is why you have no power in the cab or ignition switch.

Can't tell from the picture, but the other side of the solenoid should go to the starter not the alternator.
Ok looking at the photo actually makes it clearer then looking at the truck lol there is no power going to anything but the solenoid. So I should run a wire to the fusible link? It you look by the blower there is a cut red wire looks maybe to be 10g or 8g. Could that be the wire that should be connected to the battery side of the solenoid?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Okay there is a lot going on there.

See attached picture.

Wire #1, where does this go for sure? You said earlier to the alternator. It should be going to the starter.

Wire #2 These are fusible links. Where do they go? looks like the come from the loom that goes over the solenoid. Do they pop out anywhere around the solenoid? Or do they run too and possibly splice into wire #3?

Wire #3 This is what you are asking about running voltage too. You can, strip it back and jumper to it, see what turns on. If it melts your jumper wire, then probably not it. LOL

Wire #4, not a wire, but this is where the blower resistor is and the connector from the first pic goes to.

Attachments

• 20220215_103527.jpg
    20220215_103527.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 13
OP
OP
B

BroncoNewbie1100

Reaction score
Okay there is a lot going on there.

See attached picture.

Wire #1, where does this go for sure? You said earlier to the alternator. It should be going to the starter.

Wire #2 These are fusible links. Where do they go? looks like the come from the loom that goes over the solenoid. Do they pop out anywhere around the solenoid? Or do they run too and possibly splice into wire #3?

Wire #3 This is what you are asking about running voltage too. You can, strip it back and jumper to it, see what turns on. If it melts your jumper wire, then probably not it. LOL

Wire #4, not a wire, but this is where the blower resistor is and the connector from the first pic goes to.
Success..... ish, now I have headlights and dash lights. Highbeams say they are working on the dash but I only have 2 bulbs in 1 on each side. I found an orange wire in the looms near the fusible link and was able to connect that to the battery and it gave me power in the cab. I have headlights dashlights windshield wipers, No blower power and no start but I don't have the parts for the shifter linkage yet to make sure it's in park. I did put in a new neutral switch since the original one was ripped off so I'm hoping it will start when I get the shifter linkage and put the carburetor on.
Any reason you can think why the blower won't work? 😅

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you plug that blower resistor plug into #4 in the picture posted above?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Yes I did, I also connected the loose wire to battery and no reaction at all.
Well then you will have to start with the basics.
Is the switch bad, have to test for voltage across it.
Is the resistor pack bad, have to test voltage across it.
Is the blower motor bad, have to check voltage across it.

It looks like power comes from ignition switch, through a 30 amp fuse, to blower motor and then to resistor pack and then back to the switch and grounded from there.
So maybe first thing is turn the key on and put a test light on the blower motor. Should have power on both wires going to it.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo BroncoNewbie1100,
FYI, here is the 1983 Bronco Operating Guide @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Fasteners by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Carburetors, Chokes & EFI by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Gary @ Axle Ratios - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Differences in 1980-1986 Bronco/F Series by Gary

1983 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Gary @ 1983 Bronco

1983 Dealer's Fact Book by Ford via Gary

1983 FORD LIGHT TRUCK EXTERIOR COLOR SELECTIONS by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf
via member BroncMom

post-889-0-39873400-1479007695.jpg
1983 Bronco 5.8L 351W 4V H.O Vacuum Diagram by Seabronc

For certain 83s, such as those with a 351 engine, see Electronic Engine Control III (EEC III) overview, wiring & Vacuum diagrams on the net by Tommy @ Wayback Machine

Also see: DIY EEC III Timing Procedure by Eric, DONOTDELETE @ EEC III - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups

OP
OP
B

BroncoNewbie1100

Reaction score
Yo BroncoNewbie1100,
FYI, here is the 1983 Bronco Operating Guide @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Fasteners by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Carburetors, Chokes & EFI by Gary

1980-1986 Bronco/F Series Specifications by Gary @ Axle Ratios - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible)

Differences in 1980-1986 Bronco/F Series by Gary

1983 Bronco Dealer Brochure by Ford via Gary @ 1983 Bronco

1983 Dealer's Fact Book by Ford via Gary

1983 FORD LIGHT TRUCK EXTERIOR COLOR SELECTIONS by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf
via member BroncMom

View attachment 29360
1983 Bronco 5.8L 351W 4V H.O Vacuum Diagram by Seabronc

For certain 83s, such as those with a 351 engine, see Electronic Engine Control III (EEC III) overview, wiring & Vacuum diagrams on the net by Tommy @ Wayback Machine

Also see: DIY EEC III Timing Procedure by Eric, DONOTDELETE @ EEC III - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
Thanks! Making progress, now I have headlights and the starter solenoid is clicking. I'm checking grounds and going to take the intake manifold off and put some motor oil down each cylinder. The engine was rebuilt by someone before I got it and never ran over a year ago. It's been sitting with no carb in NJ outside, hood on but high humidity might of locked it up a little.

This is a very satisfying build as it was a roller with parts, nothing labeled and I'm flying blind with a generic bronco manual that covers 15 years of models 😀

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke