Still having trouble with check engine for ICM

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stumped

Reaction score
I have the '96 302, and boy, was the previous posts out there correct. The grey ICM module will not work. It trips the check engine light every time. I have tried several. The scary part of having a classic vehicle is finding an electronic part that the computer will be happy with. Can you upgrade the ECM that will be happy with the replacement modules out today? Some of the older Ford techs know what to do about this but they are retired. If you upgrade the engine does it come with new electronic modules? I hate to sell this Bronco but if I can't make the computer happy what do I do? Help...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Stumped,
I prefer Motorcraft electrical parts such as sensors, ignition coils, and ICMs.

96 Bronco 5.0 ignition control module DY 1077 from Rock Auto is Genuine Ford Motorcraft®

On 21 May, 2019 I purchased a 96 Ford Bronco 5.0 ignition control module, Motorcraft® DY 1077 from Rock Auto.

I received it 23 May and noticed the usual Motorcraft® logo wasn't impressed on it.
The box looked the same as what I have purchased in past from our local Ford dealership.

I e mailed Ford Global Brand Protection and asked, "is this is a genuine Mototocraft part?"
Here's the reply;
"After reviewing the information you provided, the part you purchased appears to be genuine. The OE current model part does not have a Motorcraft/Ford logo on it and looks like the part in your photo. Since the vehicle model year for this part is very old the supplier of the part most likely has changed. Also we have not had any prior issues with Rock Auto selling non-genuine parts."
Lisa W.
Ford Motor Company
Global Brand Protection
313-317-4776
"What Is Global Brand Protection?
The Global Brand Protection group exists to protect the consumer by ensuring high quality original equipment parts are used in your vehicle that are recommended by Ford Motor Company. Counterfeit products potentially compromise consumer expectations because they do not meet Ford Motor Company’s rigorous testing and quality control standards.

Global Brand Protection focuses on:
Preventing the distribution of and removing counterfeit parts from the marketplace
Ensuring that the company’s trademarks are used appropriately
Maintaining the integrity of the sale and distribution of Genuine Ford parts..."
Ford | Global Brand Protection

Be well!

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
I totally agree about using motorcraft parts. This is what the autozone website says about dy1077
They claims its DY1075 so what gives????

Motorcraft Ignition Control Module DY-1077​

Shop All Motorcraft
share-icon.svg

5.0 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 5.0 of 5. Read a Review Same page link.

(1)
Write A Review
Part #DY-1077
SKU #212767
2 year warranty
2-Year Warranty
vehicle-new.svg

icon-fitment-warning-red.svg

Doesn't fit your vehicle.
Change Vehicle|See parts that fit

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I have the '96 302, and boy, was the previous posts out there correct. The grey ICM module will not work. It trips the check engine light every time. I have tried several. The scary part of having a classic vehicle is finding an electronic part that the computer will be happy with. Can you upgrade the ECM that will be happy with the replacement modules out today? Some of the older Ford techs know what to do about this but they are retired. If you upgrade the engine does it come with new electronic modules? I hate to sell this Bronco but if I can't make the computer happy what do I do? Help...
Hey stumped
Just curious, what codes set when the light comes on? P1351?
There happens to be a couple of us "old" Ford techs in the zone :ROFLMAO:
There might be something else going on, or we might be able to help you find a workaround with enough info. You've got one of the best Broncos made in that 96
(except my 79 of course), I wouldn't be too hasty to give up on her.
Cheers

Motech

Reaction score
Here is Ford's technical description of the three different TFI modules used in distributor systems:

DESCRIPTION
The distributor ignition system has two distinct configurations.

Distributor Mounted ICM

download1.png

1. In the first configuration, the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is mounted on the distributor and has three pins which plug into the hall effect Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP sensor) inside the distributor. This configuration is called distributor mounted ICM.

Remote Mounted ICM

download2.png

2. The ICM on the second, remote mount ICM, is not mounted on the distributor but in another location within the engine compartment.

NOTE: Gray module indicates Push Start and black module indicates Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD).

CONSTRUCTION
The components of both configurations consist of the ICM, distributor, CMP (hall effect PIP) sensor, and E-core ignition coil.
1. The distributor used on the distributor mounted ICM configuration is called a Universal Distributor and has an opening in it through which the pins of the ICM plug into the CMP (PIP) sensor.
2. On the remote mount configuration, a Sealed Distributor is used.
The CMP (hall effect PIP) sensor is located inside the distributor on both configurations. Note also that there are no mechanisms on either distributor for centrifugal or vacuum advance.

OPERATION
The CMP (hall effect PIP) sensor inside the distributor responds to a rotating metallic shutter on the distributor shaft and produces a digital PIP signal. This signal provides base timing information and is an indication of engine speed (RPM) and position. Note that since the shutter is mounted on the distributor shaft, two revolutions of the engine crankshaft are required to fire each spark plug once. This is because the distributor rotates at half the crankshaft speed. The internal circuitry of the ICM will have one of two possible arrangements, Push Start, or Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD).

Push Start ICM Waveforms

download3.png

1. The push start system allows for increased dwell, or coil ON time, when starting the engine. The ICM on this system determines when to turn the coil ON based upon engine RPM information. The coil is then fired, or turned OFF, whenever a rising edge of a Spark Output (SPOUT) signal is encountered as shown in the Push Start ICM Waveforms image. The SPOUT signal, short for SPark OUTput, is a digital signal generated by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) providing spark angle information to the ICM. The SPOUT signal on the push start system controls only the firing of the coil. The falling edge of the SPOUT signal is ignored.

Computer Controlled Dwell ICM Waveforms

download4.png

2. The CCD system, however, does use both edges of the SPOUT signal as shown in the Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD) ICM Waveforms image. The SPOUT signal for the CCD system is the same as in the push start except that the falling edge is now generated to control the time at which the coil is turned ON. The coil ON time, or dwell, for this system is thus entirely controlled by the SPOUT signal. The ICM does not internally determine when to turn the coil ON as it does on the push start system. It responds directly to the SPOUT signal it receives.

NOTE: In the case that the SPOUT signal line opens from the PCM, the ICM will use the PIP signal to fire the coil. This results in a fixed spark angle and fixed dwell.

Motech

Reaction score
I totally agree about using motorcraft parts. This is what the autozone website says about dy1077

This is Motorcraft DY-1077:

DY-1077.jpg

The Ford PN for your 1996 is 5U2Z-12A297-B

This crosses to the grey Motorcraft PN DY-1075

DY-1075.jpg

These discrepancies have kicked my old-school Ford behind a few times; made me grateful for the Triton engines.

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
Hey stumped
There might be something else going on, or we might be able to help you find a workaround with enough info. You've got one of the best Broncos made in that 96
Cheers
I have pulled out the DY1075 and returned it.. DY1077 is on order per your suggestion so I can't check to see if its P1351 now... thanks for a ton of good info.

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
Here is Ford's technical description of the three different TFI modules used in distributor systems:

DESCRIPTION
The distributor ignition system has two distinct configurations.

Distributor Mounted ICM

View attachment 31116

1. In the first configuration, the Ignition Control Module (ICM) is mounted on the distributor and has three pins which plug into the hall effect Camshaft Position (CMP) Sensor Profile Ignition Pickup (PIP sensor) inside the distributor. This configuration is called distributor mounted ICM.

Remote Mounted ICM

View attachment 31117

2. The ICM on the second, remote mount ICM, is not mounted on the distributor but in another location within the engine compartment.

NOTE: Gray module indicates Push Start and black module indicates Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD).

CONSTRUCTION
The components of both configurations consist of the ICM, distributor, CMP (hall effect PIP) sensor, and E-core ignition coil.
1. The distributor used on the distributor mounted ICM configuration is called a Universal Distributor and has an opening in it through which the pins of the ICM plug into the CMP (PIP) sensor.
2. On the remote mount configuration, a Sealed Distributor is used.
The CMP (hall effect PIP) sensor is located inside the distributor on both configurations. Note also that there are no mechanisms on either distributor for centrifugal or vacuum advance.

OPERATION
The CMP (hall effect PIP) sensor inside the distributor responds to a rotating metallic shutter on the distributor shaft and produces a digital PIP signal. This signal provides base timing information and is an indication of engine speed (RPM) and position. Note that since the shutter is mounted on the distributor shaft, two revolutions of the engine crankshaft are required to fire each spark plug once. This is because the distributor rotates at half the crankshaft speed. The internal circuitry of the ICM will have one of two possible arrangements, Push Start, or Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD).

Push Start ICM Waveforms

View attachment 31118

1. The push start system allows for increased dwell, or coil ON time, when starting the engine. The ICM on this system determines when to turn the coil ON based upon engine RPM information. The coil is then fired, or turned OFF, whenever a rising edge of a Spark Output (SPOUT) signal is encountered as shown in the Push Start ICM Waveforms image. The SPOUT signal, short for SPark OUTput, is a digital signal generated by the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) providing spark angle information to the ICM. The SPOUT signal on the push start system controls only the firing of the coil. The falling edge of the SPOUT signal is ignored.

Computer Controlled Dwell ICM Waveforms

View attachment 31119

2. The CCD system, however, does use both edges of the SPOUT signal as shown in the Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD) ICM Waveforms image. The SPOUT signal for the CCD system is the same as in the push start except that the falling edge is now generated to control the time at which the coil is turned ON. The coil ON time, or dwell, for this system is thus entirely controlled by the SPOUT signal. The ICM does not internally determine when to turn the coil ON as it does on the push start system. It responds directly to the SPOUT signal it receives.

NOTE: In the case that the SPOUT signal line opens from the PCM, the ICM will use the PIP signal to fire the coil. This results in a fixed spark angle and fixed dwell.
incredible info. I am not a technician but will keep for a real shop tech if I keep having probems... thanks ..

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score

Shop All Motorcraft
share-icon.svg

5.0 out of 5 stars. Read reviews for average rating value is 5.0 of 5. Read a Review Same page link.

(1)
Write A Review
Part #DY-1077
SKU #212767
2 year warranty
2-Year Warranty
vehicle-new.svg

icon-fitment-warning-red.svg

Doesn't fit your vehicle.
Change Vehicle|See parts that fit
As you can see the entire parts world application thinks DY-1077 is the wrong part. But, I am going to try it based upon your suggestion and a couple of others out there in Bronco land...

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
Hey stumped
Cheers
disconnected the DY1075 and the DY1077 is on order... will see what happens

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
I have this module but am afraid to plug it in after having so many failures and getting the check engine again... have ordered the DY1077... will see what happens

L\Bronco

Reaction score
disconnected the DY1075 and the DY1077 is on order... will see what happens
You might consider replacing the PIP sensor in the distributor as well (we used to call it the stator) they have been known to take out the module occasionally.
Good luck
Cheers

SopwithCamel

Reaction score
My 1995 Bronco was going through Ford OEM ICMs left and right until..... I installed the Accel brand ICM, and that was in 1998..... same ICM is still working today.

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
You might consider replacing the PIP sensor in the distributor as well (we used to call it the stator) they have been known to take out the module occasionally.
Good luck
Cheers
Is that the same as the crank position sensor or is it a different part?

OP
OP
S

stumped

Reaction score
My 1995 Bronco was going through Ford OEM ICMs left and right until..... I installed the Accel brand ICM, and that was in 1998..... same ICM is still working today.
I have tried 3-4 of these so will try dy1077 next... the original ICM has lasted 27 years and its motorcraft

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Its the cam position sensor, its in the distributordistributor.gifNot the best pict, but the idea is there.
You have to pound out 2 roll pins in the gear and retaining collar and press the shaft out. Mark them first as they only fit one way. Then after the sensor is changed, press the collar and gear back on.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Last edited:

Motech

Reaction score
I have this module but am afraid to plug it in after having so many failures and getting the check engine again... have ordered the DY1077... will see what happens

No fear. It will not cause damage, only a code.

Crank sensor first appeared on this engine in 1996. It's down by the harmonic balancer, and it has absolutely nothing to do with ignition or injector control. It is there only for misfire detection mandated by OBD II.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno