What Did you Do With Your Bronco Today???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Appear to have arrived at the home stretch of re-engineering 101. Had to fab a stainless elbow, since nobody seems to know what a double External threaded elbow is! <g> 🙄
Just have to get the connection finalized. Block-off plate made as another possible option.
Updated.

Attachments

• 20230120_113100.jpg
    20230120_113100.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230123_104829.jpg
    20230123_104829.jpg
    340.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

L\Bronco

Reaction score
2 down, 1 to go.
Pipe-fitting 101 ahead.
(There Always must be a difficult part)
The last one looks like it's gonna have to wait until I recover🤕 & am out from under the self imposed quarantine.
Until then-
Anyone out there been down the Egr valve delete trail with any success on these?
Have experimented with such on my 250 & only had marginal results.
Hope you get well soon.
(I have never seen anything from China last this long!)
I have only disconnected them and lived with the code 33. (Sometimes you have to knock a little timing out to stop the pinging, 2 deg-ish depending on your altitude.)
The other option is a quarter horse tuner and shut off the diagnostics for it.
Its often just best to leave it working if you can. (you know, the old juice- squeeze thing)
Looking very good though! Congrats!
Cheers

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Took almost 2 weeks recovery but so far, good to go. Lost all the holiday events so if there's anything still going on the end of this year, it's a make-up.
Yea, that crud is almost as effective as a norinco made Ak 😏
Trying to get ahold of MotorVation over in Memphis to see if they have anything specific they can tweak on their modules. Seems to be a viable option.
We get a consistent warm spell going, it'll be time for surgery.
Update 2/7-
went for a spin a couple days ago, decided to run some heat since cold out. Hit the fan- screeEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEch!!!!
ok, bad idea.
Go back & remove fan, no debris in the box.
hmm🤔 dry socket!
A bit of oil, re-assemble and all good again. Sitting still for years just ain't good for stuff.

Last edited:

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Well, the big day has finally arrived. Dealing with glitches as they crop up.
So this goes out to the long-time techs here like Motech, L-bronc & Tiha-
as you can see on this AC line, that particular junction up by the condenser..and.. this fitting seems to be terminally Stuck. Have struggled with it to no avail, short of heat-&-beat. Really don't want to have to go there. New lines are on hand, so that's not the issue. Don't want to trash the condenser is the main thing. Any ideas on how to get separation here?
(Soft aluminum tubing is not wanting to cooperate and would appear to be easily damaged)
I guess that's just like the assembly line to do a torque-to-yield on these so 'it'll never leak down under warranty that way!'
(S crew whoever ends up with the headache later)
.......Yep, just my luck.
20230522_095100.jpg

Attachments

• 20230521_212250.jpg
    20230521_212250.jpg
    427.3 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:

Jimbo26

Reaction score
I find it somewhat irritating when this happens, even after Days of WD etc. 😕
Traumatic amputation for these exhaust bolts. 🪚
Out with the old.

Attachments

• 20230522_170336.jpg
    20230522_170336.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 7
  • 20230522_114652.jpg
    20230522_114652.jpg
    440.7 KB · Views: 5
  • 20230522_115333.jpg
    20230522_115333.jpg
    403.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
as you can see on this AC line, that particular junction up by the condenser..and.. this fitting seems to be terminally Stuck. Have struggled with it to no avail, short of heat-&-beat. Really don't want to have to go there. New lines are on hand, so that's not the issue. Don't want to trash the condenser is the main thing. Any ideas on how to get separation here?
(Soft aluminum tubing is not wanting to cooperate and would appear to be easily damaged)
I guess that's just like the assembly line to do a torque-to-yield on these so 'it'll never leak down under warranty that way!'
View attachment 31318
Have you tried cold? Like useing a fire extinguisher on it. It will make the metal real cold and try that.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
View attachment 31318
Congrats Jimbo!
you must be chomping at the bit for sure!!
You can definitely use heat. The "O" ring will be trash after, but you have new lines, so I'm sure O Rings aren't a problem.
Us a small propane torch, (the one you solder copper tubing with. You just don't want to go too hot on aluminum. Try a bit of heat first and wiggle it, if that doesn't work,(this may sound weird, but...) Get it as hot as you dare and press a wax candle against the seams. It will **** inside and usually frees up the stuckest things!
I've used this trick many times and havent been beaten yet.
Good luck
Cheers

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Have you tried cold? Like useing a fire extinguisher on it. It will make the metal real cold and try that.
Not yet. I have some aerosol that gets pretty cold, so that's a idea......or maybe aim a leftover can of 134a at it. 🤷‍♂️
Saving the extinguishers for when the SHTF in the shop! 🔥

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Congrats Jimbo!
you must be chomping at the bit for sure!!
You can definitely use heat. The "O" ring will be trash after, but you have new lines, so I'm sure O Rings aren't a problem.
Us a small propane torch, (the one you solder copper tubing with. You just don't want to go too hot on aluminum. Try a bit of heat first and wiggle it, if that doesn't work,(this may sound weird, but...) Get it as hot as you dare and press a wax candle against the seams. It will **** inside and usually frees up the stuckest things!
I've used this trick many times and havent been beaten yet.
Good luck
Cheers
Copy that. Thanks for the pointers, folks.
Will see how this goes. I always keep a small propane setup as such to help with starting the fireplace in wintertime, and other odd chores...........
and yes, steady chomping on the chore at hand.
Heart transplant done. Main hookups accomplished & should have everything down under sutured up tomorrow plus a portion of the up-top taken care of.
Should be breathing life into the Great Experiment by Thursday, if all goes according to plan. 🤞
This job is a break from a raggedy old M880 Dodge 4X that I also did a heart transplant on last week. Almost regret taking that one on, but is for a friend that needed help.
I detest having to put 'unknown' salvage engines together with a next to $0 budget, and that was the situation.
The 318 runs fine, but ended up chasing water leaks all over.
Some idiots somewhere down the line ran long bolts into the exhaust manifold bolt holes and broke into the water jacket on 1 head. Leakie-longtime! 🤬
I'm only going to chase this c r a p just so much longer and I'm done.
The owner & I already had a long discussion about that leftover 318 before I ever started the job:
No prep/machine-shop checks on anything? NO warranty whatsoever, his gamble. I guarantee my Labor, but doing what amounts to building a motor in a sandbox- all bets are off!
Been decades since I even touched a Mopar, so the whole deal was a big guess in places. TG for old books with the know-how. 🤷‍♂️

Attachments

• 20230522_193050.jpg
    20230522_193050.jpg
    420.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Not yet. I have some aerosol that gets pretty cold, so that's a idea......or maybe aim a leftover can of 134a at it. 🤷‍♂️
Saving the extinguishers for when the SHTF in the shop! 🔥
Like LBRONCO said earlier. They have these real small butane heaters you could use. They have real small flame.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Copy that. Thanks for the pointers, folks.
Will see how this goes. I always keep a small propane setup as such to help with starting the fireplace in wintertime, and other odd chores...........
and yes, steady chomping on the chore at hand.
Heart transplant done. Main hookups accomplished & should have everything down under sutured up tomorrow plus a portion of the up-top taken care of.
Should be breathing life into the Great Experiment by Thursday, if all goes according to plan. 🤞
This job is a break from a raggedy old M880 Dodge 4X that I also did a heart transplant on last week. Almost regret taking that one on, but is for a friend that needed help.
I detest having to put 'unknown' salvage engines together with a next to $0 budget, and that was the situation.
The 318 runs fine, but ended up chasing water leaks all over.
Some idiots somewhere down the line ran long bolts into the exhaust manifold bolt holes and broke into the water jacket on 1 head. Leakie-longtime! 🤬
I'm only going to chase this c r a p just so much longer and I'm done.
The owner & I already had a long discussion about that leftover 318 before I ever started the job:
No prep/machine-shop checks on anything? NO warranty whatsoever, his gamble. I guarantee my Labor, but doing what amounts to building a motor in a sandbox- all bets are off!
Been decades since I even touched a Mopar, so the whole deal was a big guess in places. TG for old books with the know-how. 🤷‍♂️
Looks Nice!!
Cheers

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Looks Nice!!
Cheers
Reminds me of the first engine my two older brothers did. When they were about 15 and 16 years old. My oldest brother got a 46 Ford with the motor useing oil bad and the guy threw in 2 extra motors. With NO experiens they went to work and when they got done. They had a sweet little flat head purring like a kitten and did not smoke --rattle or use oil or have any machine work done to it. Those were the good old days.

Jimbo26

Reaction score
J-R, I wouldn't remember much about those better days. I was in this world about the time of the Cuban missle crisis, so would have been running match-box cars back then. Things were a bit more simple.
Nowadays- don't even get me started! 😠

Hey L- that was a neat trick with the Wax.
Worked just like you said.
A couple dabs with a candle🕯and it went to flowing just like solder. Didn't take long for the seam to appear after giving it the wiggle test.
👉🖲 G, that was easy!
You win a 🍪 cookie.
Now am up again exhaust pipe headaches. 1 side just couldn't match up right, so looks like the muffler shop is gonna get a few more $ to straighten that mess out. 🤬 foreign made headers. What I get for going cheap!

Attachments

• 20230523_122502.jpg
    20230523_122502.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 4

johnnyreb

Reaction score
J-R, I wouldn't remember much about those better days. I was in this world about the time of the Cuban missle crisis, so would have been running match-box cars back then. Things were a bit more simple.

A couple dabs with a candle🕯and it went to flowing just like solder. Didn't take long for the seam to appear after giving it the wiggle test.
👉🖲 G, that was easy!
You win a 🍪 cookie.
Now am up again exhaust pipe headaches. 1 side just couldn't match up right, so looks like the muffler shop is gonna get a few more $ to straighten that mess out. 🤬 foreign made headers. What I get for going cheap!
I sure do remember watching it on tv. Thats when America had a good president. JFK didn,t take any shit. I was about 11-12 years old then. I was talking to a friend the other day and told him I never had any trouble remeber ing back 50-60 year,but don,t ask me about 5 minutes ago. hahahaha

Jimbo26

Reaction score
I sure do remember watching it on tv. Thats when America had a good president. JFK didn,t take any shit. I was about 11-12 years old then. I was talking to a friend the other day and told him I never had any trouble remeber ing back 50-60 year,but don,t ask me about 5 minutes ago. hahahaha
Stuff like that & Vietnam seemed like a movie on the TV to me. I do vividly remember the Apollo moon landing, big event there.
JFK- the last of the real democrats that were all about the working man. Pity there, he was and woulda kept us on top of the game. Organized crime got him.....better known as the Swamp or deep-state nowadays.
Half or more of what goes on now is easy forgettable. Sometimes its merciful.
I'll be glad when the last of the tar sludge from this latest project has faded away. C r a p gets all over everything and is a h e lluva mess

L\Bronco

Reaction score

👉🖲 G, that was easy!
You win a 🍪 cookie.
Awesome!
That candle trick has saved my bacon a few times.
Good luck with the exhaust.
Gonna go for a rip in the FrankenBronco tomorrow.
Can't wait for you to get yours on the road!
Cheers

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Awesome!
That candle trick has saved my bacon a few times.
Good luck with the exhaust.
Gonna go for a rip in the FrankenBronco tomorrow.
Can't wait for you to get yours on the road!
Cheers
It would be nice, and a Lot quicker if I didn't have to stop and re-engineer stuff along the way. These Tall valve covers have struck again!
Now it's the 🤬 fuel rail.
The Oem lines from down behind the trans & up to the rail junction along with the regulator hookup area were designed to just barely clear the standard valve covers, so ka-blooey! Here we go again.
I do have the fuel rail off the '97 setup that came with the F4 motor. As you can see, the dumbell at the salvage yard was the hurried type and cut everything when possible. (right-side of pic)
LS is the '91 stuff.
What ya think about it, teach?
Which way to go and best possible way to proceed on this?
I do like the 97 rail, as it makes changing the regulator far easier.
However, bending steel tubing like that is Not my forté.

Have already installed the '97 fuel injectors, as I understand those are a more efficient design, and this is what the project is all about- aiming for 18 mpg.

Attachments

• 20230524_200931.jpg
    20230524_200931.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 3

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke