Shorty headers on 1991 Ford Bronco Custom 5.0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jimbronco91

Reaction score
Reaching out to see what results anyone has experienced installing shorty headers. I need to replace cross pipe and cat. Also I have 5 speed manual & I was wondering if it be worthwhile to replace it with Automatic transmission. Thank you in advance for your response.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I had a '93 I think, that I put shorty headers on. I think they came off a lincoln or maybe a mustang. Don't remember.

Only used them because one of the manifolds were cracked and I had them laying around. It did make access a little easier around the engine compartment but I seriously doubt there was any performance change.

Swapping from manual to auto, that is always a very personal question. Depends on how much you love the truck. Anymore it isn't really very expensive to get the parts but time consuming to get it swapped correctly.
If you love the truck and want an auto then sure. But nothing wrong with a manual either.

OP
OP
J

jimbronco91

Reaction score
I had a '93 I think, that I put shorty headers on. I think they came off a lincoln or maybe a mustang. Don't remember.

Only used them because one of the manifolds were cracked and I had them laying around. It did make access a little easier around the engine compartment but I seriously doubt there was any performance change.

Swapping from manual to auto, that is always a very personal question. Depends on how much you love the truck. Anymore it isn't really very expensive to get the parts but time consuming to get it swapped correctly.
If you love the truck and want an auto then sure. But nothing wrong with a manual either.
I am not looking for performance just trying to cleanup & bring change to under the hood. Wouldn't think about it if the O2 sensor & cat wasn't bad. I don't mind the manual transmission but only looking for the convenience of Automatic. It is 2 below this morning so I am not to much in a hurry to do anything right now. Thanks everyone for getting back to me.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I am not looking for performance just trying to cleanup & bring change to under the hood. Wouldn't think about it if the O2 sensor & cat wasn't bad. I don't mind the manual transmission but only looking for the convenience of Automatic. It is 2 below this morning so I am not to much in a hurry to do anything right now. Thanks everyone for getting back to me.
Hey Jim, I put shortys on my 81 years ago, much cleaner look and the performance did improve a little. I put a little time in with the porting stones to cleanup the welds, (not too much) I would recommend it every time. Cheap and easy. Small gains with a much nicer look than cast iron.
Cheers

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I have been debating the headers for around 8 years ..... just google Broken exhaust manifold bolts in a Ford .... for a little negative incentive.

The only way I would do it ..... is with the motor out.

Now maybe if your Bronco is from Arizona and only saw rain 3 times a year .... you might be fine ..... but it is a 50/50 chance they will break (that is for each one). I'm not a fan of those odds.

With the motor out and super easy access to each bolt for a good amount of heat ( and constant evenly applied torque).... your odds improve to 80/20.

Once you break one ... you're probably going to pull the motor anyway.

The bang for your buck ... is not worth it ... unless you have a crack, and they are leaking.

just go get some quotes for a shop ... and you will see. Should be a simple job ... only a few bolts to remove ... but I bet you they will quote you close to 1,000 just for the fact that some bolts will probably break.

I have a 1993 Bronco XLT with a 5.8 and a automatic E4OD ..... and a 1996 with a 5.0 and a manual tranny.

I absolutely LOVE the stick .... got over 200,000 miles on her without any issues whatsoever.

The 1993 sits in my driveway and laughs at me .... because the E4OD went out at 160,000 ...... and I'm not ready to drop 2,500 on a new one.

OP
OP
J

jimbronco91

Reaction score
Thanks. 33 year old vehicle in Montana & the luck I have had with the work that I have done I would probably break them all off. I will continue with exhaust replacement from Y pipes back with Cat & Cat back with muffler. I already have come to a conclusion to keep the manual in the vehicle. Changing it out is more than I can manage at 70. Once again thanks to everyone who have replied.

OP
OP
J

jimbronco91

Reaction score
Thanks. 33 year old vehicle in Montana & the luck I have had with the work that I have done I would probably break them all off. I will continue with exhaust replacement from Y pipes back with Cat & Cat back with muffler. I already have come to a conclusion to keep the manual in the vehicle. Changing it out is more than I can manage at 70. Once again thanks to everyone who have replied.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Montana winters are brutal ... as you know.

Not sure about yours ... but if you want some bang for the buck.

I would start on the front suspension. A new set of coil springs ... some ball joints and tie rods .... she would really handle a lot better.

Mine runs like a champ ... but the *** holes are an issue. even with new shocks .... after 33 years of supporting that heavy ass motor the coils end up a sagging a bit.

Stay warm my friend.

I did some backpacking in Glacier around 2002. Hiked from the lake to Spurrey glacier ... it is still my all time favorite hike.

everyone needs to go to Glacier and Yosemite national parks in their lifetime.

"Going to sun" road and Glacier point in Yosemite are lifetime epic.

There are no words to explain it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane