Thank you for the add, Working on my 1986 Ford bronco.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

No juice

Reaction score
Here are some pictures of my 86 Ford bronco, it currently has a mid 90s 302 in a four-speed transmission that came behind the six cylinder that It was produced with. I am currently doing a 4 inch skyjacker lift new suspension all around. I want to remove the four speed transmission and install a 4R70w, can anyone tell me what steering column Would work? I would really like the shifter on the column if I can.
Thank you!

Attachments

• 33F46DDE-7B95-42DD-A46E-DFC0759A09E4.jpeg
    33F46DDE-7B95-42DD-A46E-DFC0759A09E4.jpeg
    315.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 05EBD36B-8F21-4E3F-ADB3-060D3D92D294.jpeg
    05EBD36B-8F21-4E3F-ADB3-060D3D92D294.jpeg
    371.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 3B717581-3382-4C3B-A722-AF0357C61B96.jpeg
    3B717581-3382-4C3B-A722-AF0357C61B96.jpeg
    326.1 KB · Views: 3

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome, sharp Bronco.

Not sure on the steering column, but I would imagine any auto truck from 1980-1986. F150-250-350. Maybe you will get lucky and find the right color. Just won't be able to pull it all the way down in first?

Maybe there is a mod for it? New one for me.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo No juice,
Welcome to our site!
All that I can offer on the 4R70W is;

Baumann Electronic Controls​

0If you are searching the for a used AOD-E/4R70W or AOD transmission to swap into your project vehicle (or for a performance buildup), this section should prove helpful.​
In addition to the specific tips below, please be aware that all AOD and AOD-E/4R70W transmissions can have either a seven or eight tooth speedometer drive gear machined into the output shaft. Generally speaking, vehicles with 2.73-1 axle ratios may have an eight tooth output shaft. If unsure, it would be wise to remove the extension housing and count the helical teeth. Depending upon tire size used, an eight tooth output shaft may make speedometer correction difficult for axle ratios lower (numerically higher) than 3.27-1. Unfortunately, output shafts cannot be changed without disassembling the transmission.
When looking for an AOD-E/4R70W transmission, the following tips apply.
  • The bell housing pattern is different for a 4.6L or 5.0L/3.8L/4.2L engine and the two are incompatible. The two case types can be distinguished by looking at the starter ****** area. If the starter has three attaching bolts, the case fits only 4.6L engines. A two-bolt starter indicates a 5.0L/3.8L/4.2L compatible case (casting number may begin with "F4ZP", not available before 1994).
  • Does the unit have a wide or standard ratio gear-set? This requires you to know the original application or remove the pan and inspect the ring gear through a drain-back slot. AOD-E transmissions built through 1995 share the same standard gear ratios as the AOD, except for the 1994-95 Thunderbird, 1994-95 F and E series trucks, 1995 Full Size Cars and the 1993-95 Lincoln Mark VIII. 1996 and later units are all wide ratio transmissions.
  • Valve bodies for 1992 cars have a different shift pattern ("P-R-N-OD-D-1", like an AOD) than other AOD-E/4R70W units ("P-R-N-OD-2-1"), because these cars had no Overdrive Cancel Switch.
  • 3.8L V-6 AOD-E/4R70W transmissions have only one less clutch plate than V-8 units and with our valve body kit are at least as strong as any AOD. If you are planning to replace the clutches in your transmission, two new pressure plates (less than $20) from the Ford parts department will make it equal to a V-8 AOD-E/4R70W. Unlike the AOD, you needn’t avoid buying V-6 versions of the AOD-E/4R70W transmission.
  • Some trucks (and possibly a few Lincolns) use a one-inch-longer output shaft than the Mustang and other vehicles.
  • Many AOD-E/4R70W units (especially later and wide ratio units) use an extension housing with a larger output bushing. This housing accepts a slip yoke with a larger outside diameter. This is not a major problem, as the slip yoke or extension housing can be changed and all output shafts share the same 28-spline profile as an AOD or C-4 transmission. An AOD-style extension housing can easily be bolted onto an AOD-E/4R70W. The large bushing housing bears a casting number beginning with "F3LP" for the standard length and "F3UP" for the long unit. The small standard length housings are marked with either "F2TP" or "E0AP". The small bushing long version is marked as "E0TP" or "E0LP" and is probably only used with the AOD transmissionaft." by Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC702 South Mechanic Street
    Pendleton, SC 29670
    Phone: 864-335-9365

4R70W Installation in an 86 by Fireguy50 (Ryan M) @ https://www.fullsizebronco.com/threads/4r70w-trans-swap-update.90917/#post-1199898

Here's the 86 Bronco Dealer Brochure at 1983 Ford Bronco 86 Bronco Brochure Photos pictures, videos, and sounds | SuperMotors.net

1986 EVTM - Gary's Garagemahal (the Bullnose bible) by Ford via Gary

1985-1986 Fuel System Adjustments by Ford via Gary

1986 Bronco Operating Guide by Ford via Gary @ 1983 Ford Bronco Manuals & Pamphlets (Scanned) picture | SuperMotors.net

1986 Owner Guide by Ford via Gary

1986 Exterior Colors by Ford via Gary

1986 Bronco Accessories Catalog by Ford via Gary. @ 1986 Ford Light Truck Accessories Brochure

1980-86 Pickup Fasteners by Ford via Gary, but mostly for front clip

1986 Bronco Rapid Specs Guide by Ford via Gary @ 1986 Ford Light Truck Accessories Brochure

1986 Color & Trim Selection Options by Ford via Gary

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via BroncMom

See my
View attachment 202200
site graciously recovered by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO

OP
OP
No juice

No juice

Reaction score
Wow that was a lot of information! Thank you. Well I don’t have a lot of time to look around or to work on a transmission so I was going to just order one from monster transmissions. I know I’m going to learn a lot here that’s why I joined.
Is the speedo gear not in the transfer case? Little confused here. Thank you so much for getting back to me and being so helpful.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo No Juice, (but soon to be known as having a "Juiced-Up" 86😎!)
"92+ use a psom, whereas 91 and back use a mechanical gear and cable.
ADDED NOTE:
Gear ratio will matter if it's a 91 or older..."

"If it's a 91 or prior, then you just change the gear at the end of the speedo cable.%
There's a formula for it, but it's much better to base it off of your current gear.
This is what I did on mine. I pulled the speedometer gear out and counted the teeth and saw that it was an 18 tooth.
I then went for a drive (the faster the better) and got up to 80mph on the speedometer. I then had a GPS open on my phone (plenty of free apps) that showed that my actual speed was about 75.
Then:
New Gear Teeth = (Speedometer Speed / Actual Speed) * Old Gear Teeth
New Gear Teeth = (80 / 75) * 18
New Gear Teeth = 19.2 (19 tooth).

This is the simplest way to figure it out because you don't to figure out how many teeth the ring gear inside the transfer case has, you don't need to figure out the revolutions per mile of your tires, and you don't need to take your gearing into account. Plus, tires aren't exactly the advertised size. So a 32" tire (which calculates to 630 RPM) might actually be around 31.5" or 31.25" (645 RPM) in diameter once the weight of the vehicle is on it. I think, with the formula, my speedo gear actually "calculated" to a 20 tooth gear. It would have been off."

"be aware that all AOD and AOD-E/4R70W transmissions can have either a seven or eight tooth speedometer drive gear machined into the output shaft. Generally speaking, vehicles with 2.73-1 axle ratios may have an eight tooth output shaft. If unsure, it would be wise to remove the extension housing and count the helical teeth. Depending upon tire size used, an eight tooth output shaft may make speedometer correction difficult for axle ratios lower (numerically higher) than 3.27-1. Unfortunately, output shafts cannot be changed without disassembling the transmission.

"The 4R70W is a transmission with the following features:
  • Wide ratio gears
  • Four speeds
  • Rear wheel drive
  • Automatic
  • Electronic shift
  • Torque converter clutch control
  • Line pressure controls
The transmission uses a Ravigneaux-style double-pinion compound gearset to produce four forward speeds and reverse. Two bands, two one-way roller clutches and four friction clutches are used to hold or drive various planetary gearset members.
d16555a.gif
4R70W Transmission
All vehicles are equipped with a vehicle certification label, affixed to the LH (driver's) side door lock post.
Refer to the code in the space marked TR on the vehicle certification label for proper transmission identification."

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke