New guy here with my 1989 Bronco XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

UhDabbler

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all of the excellent posts, they have been very helpful in fixing up my Bronco. I purchased my 1989 Bronco XLT (~174,000 Miles) with some rear driver side quarter panel damage. It then sat for 4 years after I had knee surgery. I decided to sell my daily (2018 Honda Accord Sport) and make my Bronco my new daily. She runs just fine but needs some TLC. Here are a few pictures of the current quarter panel replacement progress: Before & After. Got the old panel off, straightening out the damage, and fitted the new panel to the truck, all that's left is to drill and weld.

Thanks for reading

Attachments

• IMG_2524.jpg
    IMG_2524.jpg
    376.9 KB · Views: 11

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
More Pictures!!

Welcome. Looks pretty clean under that quarter panel. It is so nice you guys that are not fighting the rust.

OP
OP
UhDabbler

UhDabbler

Reaction score
More Pictures!!

Welcome. Looks pretty clean under that quarter panel. It is so nice you guys that are not fighting the rust.
I will definitely come back with more pictures once I have it more b ack together.

There was a layer of surface rust but overall not bad for 32 year old truck. The bracket behind the driver side interior panel was extremely rusted and started pitting but I'm sanding and grinding that away then I'll prime and enamel clear coat it to prevent future rust.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo UhDabbler
Welcome!
Nice job!
We replaced wheel well arch rust sections with 1/4 panel patch panels from MILL SUPPLY, Cleveland, OH
@ https://www.millsupply.com/auto-bod.../bronco/1996/wheel-arches-and-quarter-panels/
They were primed and of 18 gauge steel - exact fit around wheel well arch and packaged very well for shipping.
1987-1996-ford-bronco-upper-rear-wheel-arch-right-side-908752r.jpg

In lieu of welding the panels in-place, consider a quick attachment with Dzus fasteners or using rivets or body adhesive.
Mill sells "Silaprene Adhesive/Sealant, bonds body panels, body seams, roofs. Adhesive will not allow panel to come loose. Used to mount or fasten just about anything together. An adhesive sealant made to last. Actually gets stronger with age, won't brittle or crack from vibration or thermal shock. Withstands extreme temperatures, unaffected by highway chemicals. Used by body manufacturers. Six month shelf life. 10.1 fluid oz. caulk tube, gray in color.

Here are the 1989 Ford Bronco EVTM, Emissions (yellowish/red book cover) & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 in Google Drive @
1989 Service manual - Google Drive
Slow scrolling, so download for faster viewing and to see the table of contents, the search feature, etc.

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf found by BroncMom

1989 Ford Bronco Dealer Brochure

1989 Bronco Lubricant Specifications by Ford via Gary

For any Bronco questions, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members).

See How to add your Signature @ Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum by BigBlue 94

Forum FAQs includes for example, Hot to Use Search. How To Save (Bookmark) Threads Or Posts, How To Upload Images To Posts and more tips!

Baba Looey's Favorite FSB Links (lots and lots of tech links) includes such as, How do I fix my back window?

Please find time to participate and Vote in our Full-Size Bronco of the Month Contest and later in the year, Full-Size of the Year Contest @ Voting
You will get ideas by those competing.
Prizes are awarded to Winner!; a full spread in Bronco Driver Magazine is the top prize, in addition to a years subscription, once the article is submitted; also, a years worth of premium FSB membership.
Al

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Just wanted to say hello and thank you for all of the excellent posts, they have been very helpful in fixing up my Bronco. I purchased my 1989 Bronco XLT (~174,000 Miles) with some rear driver side quarter panel damage. It then sat for 4 years after I had knee surgery. I decided to sell my daily (2018 Honda Accord Sport) and make my Bronco my new daily. She runs just fine but needs some TLC. Here are a few pictures of the current quarter panel replacement progress: Before & After. Got the old panel off, straightening out the damage, and fitted the new panel to the truck, all that's left is to drill and weld.

Thanks for reading
Any progress since then (9-4-2022)

Jimbo26

Reaction score
Mighty ambitious.
Body work was never my forté. A little paint maybe, but cheers🍺 to those who stretch metal.
Welcome aboard.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar