My New (old) 1989 Bronco II XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo58

Reaction score
Monday - November 21st, 2022

AJB here from Arizona,

Just bought a 1989 Ford Bronco II XLT with the 2.9L engine. Got it for $1,500. I was told of the problems it had before I bought it, it wouldn't start but ran good previously. The first thing I saw when I opened the hood was a good looking battery but the cables were on the opposite sides, pos to neg and neg to pos! It had been like that for months. The lights would turn on but lights will work even when you hook up the battery wrong. You can even see the backwards battery hookup in the original picture I have posted below.

So...I began to work on it. First thing I did was to check the battery voltage - it was 11.2 or something like that so I removed the battery and put a good one in and hooked the cables up properly - still wouldn't start, no noise, clicking, just nothing. First thing I decided to check after that was the Starter Solenoid so I jumped the 2 positive leads together with a screwdriver and heard the starter go...ok - good! Then next I checked the voltage at that little 'S' wire that goes to the top of the Starter Solenoid when the key goes fully to the start position - Yes, there was voltage. I bought a new Starter Solenoid for $20, put it in with a good battery and ... Yes, it started.

Next I checked for charge and it wasn't being charged - something is up with the Alternator. This is where I'm at this morning. I'll check the positive Alternator wire for continuity and if I don't solve the problem I'll remove the Alternator and get it checked and then go on from there.

I was really hoping that the backwards battery hookup didn't ruin the EEC (Engine Computer) or melt wires somewhere. I've looked all around and haven't been able to find any inline fuses blown. I also checked every fuse under the hood and under the dash, they are all fine.

After I get it up and running I'll change all filters, plugs, tires, and everything else. The headliner is sagging so I have to research that and find out how to make it stick up to the top again.

One more thing that kind of troubles me. Someone hooked up one of those cold air intake kits but I would rather go back to the way it was engineered, with the original intake. I've heard that a cold air intake can possibly increase horse power but shorten the life of the engine.

Anyway, I'll try to attach some pics, here ya go:View attachment 30668View attachment 30669View attachment 30670
Monday - November 21st, 2022

AJB here from Arizona,

Just bought a 1989 Ford Bronco II XLT with the 2.9L engine. Got it for $1,500. I was told of the problems it had before I bought it, it wouldn't start but ran good previously. The first thing I saw when I opened the hood was a good looking battery but the cables were on the opposite sides, pos to neg and neg to pos! It had been like that for months. The lights would turn on but lights will work even when you hook up the battery wrong. You can even see the backwards battery hookup in the original picture I have posted below.

So...I began to work on it. First thing I did was to check the battery voltage - it was 11.2 or something like that so I removed the battery and put a good one in and hooked the cables up properly - still wouldn't start, no noise, clicking, just nothing. First thing I decided to check after that was the Starter Solenoid so I jumped the 2 positive leads together with a screwdriver and heard the starter go...ok - good! Then next I checked the voltage at that little 'S' wire that goes to the top of the Starter Solenoid when the key goes fully to the start position - Yes, there was voltage. I bought a new Starter Solenoid for $20, put it in with a good battery and ... Yes, it started.

Next I checked for charge and it wasn't being charged - something is up with the Alternator. This is where I'm at this morning. I'll check the positive Alternator wire for continuity and if I don't solve the problem I'll remove the Alternator and get it checked and then go on from there.

I was really hoping that the backwards battery hookup didn't ruin the EEC (Engine Computer) or melt wires somewhere. I've looked all around and haven't been able to find any inline fuses blown. I also checked every fuse under the hood and under the dash, they are all fine.

After I get it up and running I'll change all filters, plugs, tires, and everything else. The headliner is sagging so I have to research that and find out how to make it stick up to the top again.

One more thing that kind of troubles me. Someone hooked up one of those cold air intake kits but I would rather go back to the way it was engineered, with the original intake. I've heard that a cold air intake can possibly increase horse power but shorten the life of the engine.

Anyway, I'll try to attach some pics, here ya go:View attachment 30668View attachment 30669View attachment 30670
If it started and ran then the ECM is probably okay, heck if it runs the fuel pump when you go to start the ECM is doing what it is supposed to do. As for the alternator, I'm guessing that the voltage regulator inside it is cooked, however you need to search for in-line fuse-able links for loves them and they are not always easy to find. But drawings will at least let you know if they are around. Your on the right track though! Nice bronco!

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I,m the same way,but have so much stuff covering other stuff and have a hard time finding it. Then I go and buy more---about every two weeks .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22