HELP, HAVE A FORD BRONCO IN OUR FIRE DEPT AND HAVE 10 km/gln

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hugo Polar

Reaction score
Hello friends, My name is Hugo and I`m a firefighter from a volunteer fire dept in Lima, Peru, we have here a Ford Bronco 80, autmaotric with V8 302 carb, this car is used for recue unit and now have a problem.

1.- the performance fo this acr is 10 km/gln gasoline 90 oct

2.- here used a dual fuel system ( gasoline /LPG) and consumption is the same

Please we have need help. We have said we have to change the exhaust pipe please if they have a diagram.

thanks for your kind support

Sincerelly

Lt. Hugo Polar

Cuerpo de Bomberos del Peru

bidibronco

Reaction score
I'm gathering you're having a bad fuel economy problem. Low miles per gallon or whatever? If they said it needs exhaust work sound like they're meaning a new oxygen sensor? Sound about right?

love_my_bronco

Reaction score
i looked up the conversions your only getting 6 mpg. thats bad.. sound like you need to pull codes and start a tune up. it is true that running dual exhaust can help with mpg (Km\Gln) looking at the conversion table thats 10Km\4 liters.. just a cool fact. anyway.. losing some of the weight that the rescue vehicle carries can help alot it makes the diffrence for 6 to 9 or for you 10 to 13km. i changed the fuel filter and fuel pump and that helped me a bit.

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Its a 1980 Bronco with a 302 V8 and carburated, it doesnt have all that stuff like newer engines do to pull codes from. I would start with a tune up, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap/rotor and a new coil. Thatll should get you better milage and put some punch back into it.

Could have a clogged cat like BroncoJoe said then youll want to replace that, id go ahead and replace the whole exhuast system if you need that done. Id put a new cat and turbo muffler, itll flow better get better milage and still stay quiet.

Last edited by a moderator:

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Its a 1980 Bronco with a 302 V8 and carburated, it doesnt have all that stuff like newer engines do to pull codes from. I would start with a tune up, spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor cap/rotor and a new coil. Thatll should get you better milage and put some punch back into it.
Could have a clogged cat like BroncoJoe said then youll want to replace that, id go ahead and replace the whole exhuast system if you need that done. Id put a new cat and turbo muffler, itll flow better get better milage and still stay quiet.
Hugo,

By the way, I fully agree with Redneck86 that a full tuneup will probably help you get better performance and mileage.

I am sorry that I have NO knowledge about a dual fuel system.

Does Peru have strict emmission control requirements? In other words are they very concerned that a vehicle should have pollution controls?

I also do not know how a catalytic converter and LPG work together, I do not know if it is an issue or not. IF your country does not have anti-polution laws, then you may not need to replace the catalytic converter, and perhaps you could just run a regular exhaust pipe with your muffler.

Guys what do you think?

Redneck86

First On Race Day
Reaction score
Yea if you dont have to have a catalytic converter itll be cheaper to have exhuast run on it. Itll have more power and better milage, the less restrictive it is the better itll perform. You might could also consider a dual exhuast system if your gonna have it in the shop for exhuast work anyway....

cj_92Bronco

Reaction score
I'd take the Cat off if your getting poor performance, llike everyone else has said it will help with fuel economy and performance. But then again im pretty biased, I always take those things off ;) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
H

Hugo Polar

Reaction score
Hi friends, thank you for your answers, sorry if my english is more less, but I speak spanish.

Well first i say, the truck dont have a catalitic, and i my country de anti polution laws are more less , dont strong.

I think tomorrow change a exhaust pipe, plesse say my what is the type, double pipe and a union or two pipes independent.

please if have a diagram, image or picture please send me.

Also how find a code for a scanner, and in the distributor.

Too i see a other problem, in the valve cover ( when is the oil cap) a high suction.....why have a suction in this point????

Plese help me again...... sorry i forgett ..today change a accesories of alternator and voltage regulator

OP
OP
H

Hugo Polar

Reaction score
Hi friends, thank you for your answers, sorry if my english is more less, but I speak spanish.

Well first i say, the truck dont have a catalitic, and i my country de anti polution laws are more less , dont strong.

I think tomorrow change a exhaust pipe, plesse say my what is the type, double pipe and a union or two pipes independent.

Too i see a other problem, in the valve cover ( when is the oil cap) a high suction.....why have a suction in this point????

Plese help me again...... sorry i forgett ..today change a accesories of alternator and voltage regulator and the sound of motor is best , but dont is speed ( I push the acelerator but dont run fast = 70 km/hr

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Hugo,

I think everyone has offered excellent advise, but let me start from a different angle. You've told us what problems the truck is having. What have you done? What do the sparkplugs look like ? Are you able to take photos of anything and post them ? HAs anyone worked on this truck or is anyone doing anything to it ?

As a firefighting unit I think everyone here is anxious to see it back in service. Your English is excellent, let's find an answer to your problem.

What is the *primary* fuel, gasoline or LPG ? We usually deal with gasoline engines but we are able to find information about LPG and everyone will try to help.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
I don't think that ford offered a dual exhaust. Dual exhaust is availabe as an after market replacement. Here is a link to what a large american catalog house stocks.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Vehicle...0001711/c-10101

I went to www.autozone.com There they allow you to enter the year and model of your truck.

I entered 1980 Frod Bronco 5.0

then searched for

exhaust

IT brought me to a page that listed these pictures.

http://www.autozone.com/images/products/mam/mam439872002.jpg

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP977904/vehicl...oductDetail.htm

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP974177/vehicl...oductDetail.htm

Beyond these two parts, you will need the proper gaskets, clamps, muffler, and tailpipe.

I hope that this helps you with what you are looking for.

Just to go one step further (in trying to help you) I am guessing that you are completly missing your exhaust system... all of the pipes are gone, or you wouldn't be looking for a diagram of how they go back in. With that said, Does your engine still have the exhaust manifold attached to it on both sides? The exhaust manifold is a thick heavy rusted steel thing that the crossover exhaust pipe mounts to.

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP707746/vehicl...oductDetail.htm

OP
OP
H

Hugo Polar

Reaction score
broncobill hello, thank you for your support, if it has been doing something for the truck, we had the vehicle in operciones but consumption is the problem. estare sending photos and engine parts to have a look.

conmbustible respect to, but gasoline is used mostly by LPG costs

Plese help me again...... sorry i forgett ..today change a accesories of alternator and voltage regulator and the sound of motor is best , but dont is speed ( I push the acelerator but dont run fast = 70 km/hr

Broncobill78

Reaction score
broncobill hello, thank you for your support, if it has been doing something for the truck, we had the vehicle in operciones but consumption is the problem. estare sending photos and engine parts to have a look.  

conmbustible respect to, but gasoline is used mostly by LPG costs
What is the fuel pressure when the engine is running ?

Exactly HOW is the fuel switched between gasoline and LPG ?

Is the mileage/efficiency better with gasoline or LPG or is it the same with both ?

The truck is a 1980 export version *without* a catalytic converter so I do not think that changing the exhaust will help. Using a dual exhaust (two exhaust pipes, not one) WILL give it more horsepower(kilowatts) and torque but I do not think it has anything to do with the problem you have now.

Does the distributer deliver a spark to all 8 cylinders ?

Rednek

Reaction score
Try a tuneup. that happened to my 83 bronco. i gave it a poor boy tuneup now im getting 14MPG out of a stock 351.

how often do ya have to drive a rescue vehicle. seems that wouldnt be a big problems.

stay safe bud.

good luck

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Necesito por favor saber como diferencia entre una 302 y un 351, debido a que tenemos aqui en Lima una camioneta que nos consume 10 km por galon y con una compresion de 100 en 5 cilindros y 80 en los otros 3 por lo que creo que es por eso el consumos. Pero a ver si me yudan a saber diferenciar.

Hugo, your english is better than my spanish.

I understand this to mean that you did a compression test on your bronco.

5 cylinders had 100

3 cylinders had 80

There are two main reasons why one would have different compressions.

1. Bad piston rings

2. bad valves.

To differenciate between bad rings and bad valves.

Put 10 ml - 15ml oil in the bad cylinder and test the compression.

DO the same in each of the bad cylinders.

If the compression goes up, then you have bad rings.

If the compression does not go up, then you have bad valves.

A valve job is much less expensive.

Hugo, su Ingl

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23