Finally Got A Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

saamfou

Reaction score
Hey all.

I'm real psyched to introduce myself and my new (old) 1990 Ford Bronco Eddie Bauer 5.8 V8. I'm 21 years old and go to school at the University of Virginia in Charlottesville, VA where I live with some buddies and my pit bull, Cino.

It's been a childhood dream of mine to get a big ol' truck and i finally found a good deal on one and some free time to spend fixing it up. As it is, the truck runs pretty good except for a high engine idle that pops up sometimes, and a leaking front engine seal. The body is in worse condition with lots of small dent and dings, a little rust on the front bumper, rear fenders, and more on the tailgate. The clear coat on the front hood is coming off too. Inside the car is in great condition.

For now, I have a few priorities in fixing it up. The leaking engine seal isn't that big of a deal, i just keep feeding it oil. The high engine idle is something i want to look into, but as long as it doesn't happen too often or effect other performance, i'm not too worried about it either. So that leaves the exterior and body work to fix up. I plan on banging out as many of the dents as possible, filling in the rest, sanding the car down and getting a solid paint job on it as soon as possible. As for the rear tailgate, i'm either going to try to buy a used one in good condition or cutting off the rusty portion and welding on some fresh sheet metal. I'm pretty sure this was caused by cracked rubber seals in the rear window letting in water to the tailgate and rusting.

As for the paint, my buddy is trying to convince me to use rustoleum instead of car paint due to the durability, thickness, and cost effectiveness of it. He has a paint gun that we would use. I would appreciate some feedback on this. I definitiely have my doubts

Other than that, i love throwing my dog in the back, taking the top off, taking the car off-road, and driving out to the river for a weekend of camping and fishing with friends. I definitely need to try to find a soft-top because the top is annoying to take off and put on.

Down the road, a lift kit would be sweet and if i do get the idle and engine seal leak fixed, i'd look into getting a getting some more horsepower out of the engine.

Anyway, sorry for the huge intro, but just wanted to give you an idea about my car and get some advice from everyone down the road.

CIMG0718.jpg

Ktomek06

Reaction score
Can't wait to see what you do to it...a lift and tires would be sweet (im workin on that too) that bronc looks great kinda similar to mine! Dont forget to setup a gallery!

Glad your dream of a full size came true,

Kyle

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Howdy & Welcome to Bronco Zone!!! <):)

In my experience, the better-quality (more expensive) automotive paint will last alot longer, and look better than the Rustoleum and similar brands. 90% of the job is prep work, and you are right in wanting to cut away any rust and pull the dents. The tailgate just naturally rusts through on the bottom due to poor design. If you look at enough junkyard Broncos, you might luck out and find a really good one for $250-$300.

Keep your eye on e-bay for a soft-top for the Bronco. I have a Skyler fastback-style, and even though they are no longer made, one will show up every now and then. I also have a new STC softtop for a spare. ******* is the way to go!!!

Enjoy the Bronco, good luck with college, too!!! :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wdtdls