Supercharger or new ECU for 96 Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DenverBronco96

Reaction score
I have a '96 Eddie Bauer Bronco w 351w and automatic overdrive transmission. Engine was recently fully rebuilt with upgraded cylinder heads, headers, and cam, plus new exhaust and cats. Still feels a little sluggish and I'm guessing HP is still < 300. Would like to get it up into the 350-400hp range to make driving on- and off-road a little more fun, and merging onto highways a little easier.

Would I be better off replacing/upgrading the ECU, or adding a supercharger? Both? I live in TN, so emission testing shouldn't be a problem with a new ECU. Also, having challenge finding new supercharger unit for this engine.

Any advice or guidance would be really appreciated. Thanks all.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I think that would be a good question to call a Diablo or SCT tuner rep and see what they have to say. I didn't think they could gain you that much, but maybe they do custom tuning.

With the rebuild did you put bigger injectors in to match the new air flow?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo DenverBronco96,
Here is some Supercharger info for you;
Vortech© Paxton Mustang kits @ https://vortechsuperchargers.com/collections/complete-systems?page=4
"Founded in 1990 by Jim Middlebrook, Vortech Engineering, Inc. engineers efficient, high technology air management solutions for automotive, marine, industrial, aeronautical, and other motorsports applications. Since our inception, Vortech has been on the cutting edge of centrifugal compressor design technology, owning several patents, and winning numerous design awards, SEMA “Best New Product” awards, and countless racing championships in all manner of sanctioning bodies all over the world.

Previously an Engineer for Paxton Superchargers, Jim Middlebrook designed a revolutionary new internally gear-driven compressor and went off on his own to start Vortech Engineering. Focusing on the popular Ford engines of the day, Vortech quickly made a name for themselves with turn-key supercharging systems for both the Ford 5.0L, 5.8L and 7.5L engines. Fast becoming the go-to modification for all serious performance enthusiasts, Vortech expanded into many other car and truck applications, as well as creating additional arms of the company such as Vortech Marine and Vortron Industrial to meet the growing needs of centrifugal compressor technology in those fields. Almost exactly 10 years after Vortech was founded, Middlebrook purchased his former employer Paxton Superchargers, further expanding the product line and reach of Vortech Engineering to the masses"

Powerdyne centrifugal superchargers. very quiet and clean but internal belt and bearing life can be an issue. This kit is also sold by Ford SVO.
Powerdyne Automotive Products
104-C East Avenue, K-4
Lancaster, CA 93535
(805) 723-2800
Fax: (805) 723-2802
by Jim R at Wayback Machine

Kenne-Bell 1.5L Installation in a 94 5.0
Source: by BrickettNoises at https://www.fullsizebronco.com/foru...l-install-1994-5-0l-fsb-aka-gettin-blown.html

ragtop69

Reaction score
My '95 has a stock 351W (5.8L) and it feels pretty peppy, but my previous '83 had a 302 and it was kind of a slug. With the mods you have made on your engine, I would expect that you are exceeding 300 hp. I have a '69 Mustang convertible with a 302 that I have done similar mods to and, while I don't take it rock climbing, I have had some pretty stout passes at the local drag strip in it. I'm pretty sure it cranks out over 300 hp. I've got GT40P heads, Motorsport full roller rockers, custom tri-Y headers, KB flat tops, a Road Demon 4V, a single profile 224 duration, .500 lift 351W cam, a C4 3 speed automatic with a shift improver kit and a set of 8" 3.55 gears. Admittedly my Mustang weighs a lot less than our Broncos do. ;)

JScheier

Reaction score
Also, having challenge finding new supercharger unit for this engine.

Same here. There is a guy that sells bracketry on Ebay, but doesn't include any of the piping or head unit. Found a few 'used' ones but nothing nearby. Most likely going to go with a stroker on the 1996 as it is a complete **** at elevation :)

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane