charging system problems...HELP

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brichardson7

Reaction score
OK, where to start. Basics, 79 Bronco, 351m, alternater showed signs of failure, tested it, it failed. bought a replacement, installed, it failed. Truck not charging. All of a sudden, almost everything electric in my truck went out. Radio, courtesy lights. But not headlamps or exterior lamps. replaced the voltage regulator and alternater. Still no charge. Checked fuses, all intact. Checked all ground connections, all intact w/ no interuption. I am lost. I need help. Any ideas???????

Broncobill78

Reaction score
If you've *already* replaced the alt & voltage regulator then I'd start looking for problems with the wiring, connecters & the harness itself. Unless it's been replaced (by someone *competent* to do so) then it's essentially a 30yr old harness with 30yr old connectors, fusable links and wires. I'd start looking at the main harness connectors first, if they're green & crumbly that will be your first clue that you're on the right track. It's also plenty old enuf to have bad wiring under good looking insulation so don't that that throw you off either. It's also worth looking at he main fuse panel to see what condition *that* is in. If you're in an area where they use salt on the roads then you can almost be SURE you have wiring issues and even if you don't yo have no idea if this truck spent a decade or two somewhere like that before you got it.

Runnin'OnEmpty

Reaction score
Since there's a lot of stuff not working, I'd take a good look at the fusible links. They're in the wires attached to the starter relay/solenoid. There's at least 3 or 4 of them, and they carry major electrical loads from the alternator and battery.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I'd be surprised if a fusable link had blown, the lights are working just fine & they draw quite a bit of juice. However, just for the sake of getting info out there here's where your fusable links are if you ever need to know.

scan0003.jpg

cowboydan

Reaction score
i had a similar problem, mine happend to be a faulty ignition swich, when i start, the key switch doesn't back off to run position.i have to back it off just a touch and then the fan, radio kicks in i might look at a new battery cause sometimes the posts can separate from inside the battery.

Rolling Beast

Reaction score
I don't have time to put into re-wiring so I purchased a kit from Ron Francis wiring (same place described above). When you go to their website you will find yourself looking at new gadgets and do dads. Not being really electrically inclined I wrote an email to Ron. Ron wrote back a few hours later explaining the kit and what he suggested for my rig. When you write your email let them know some details - check out the build your harness section of the site. I spent about $560 on my kit and of course other stuff that I did not really need but.... Anyway - Good luck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom