Bronco wont start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EBow

Reaction score
I have a 1986 Bronco II 2.9L V6, fuel injected. The starter cranks the engine like normal but it wont fire. I've changed the high pressure fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs, dist. cap, rotor, stator (pick-up), spark plug wires, coil, and the ignition module that sticks out the side of the distributor. I've also reset the timing. The plugs are wet after trying to start it a few times (and I can here the pump come on as well) so I know its got fuel. I set all the plugs on the manifold and had someone crank the engine to check for spark at all the plugs; its got spark (although it seems weak). The spark is not a bright blue like I was told it would be. I've changed coil twice thinking that may be the cause but it didn't fix anything. If anyone has any thoughts please help me out. Thanks, Erik

gungho

Reaction score
Make sure the engine is getting fuel. The easiest way to see if it is getting fuel would be to push the shrader valve on the injector rail. Fuel should come out of there. If none does make sure the fuel filter is on the correct way. Don't rule out a bad ECU or bad injectors either. Should be a shop near you that can test both.The fuel pressure regulator might be bad. I had a ranger once that had the same problem that yours is having. The fuel pressure regulator went bad and just started dumping fuel into the cylinders. To much fuel and the engine won't start. Your engine might be getting a little old too. Do a compression test that will tell you the condition of the rings and valves. Not enough compression and the engine wont start either. anything below a 100psi is getting pretty old. The lowest cylinder should be at least 75% of the highest cylinder. If you don't want to put up with the problem anymore, just tow the BRONCO II to a salvage yard and get a real bronco LOL. That is all that i can think of right now. Maybe that will help you.

OP
OP
E

EBow

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'll try a new fuel pressure regulator then injectors if that doesn't work. The engine was new about 40k ago; so it should still be okay, but I'll check that out too. Today I went to crank it again to see if a timing adjustment I did would help; I checked to see if the spark plugs were wet with fuel from cranking it a few times and they weren't. That's despite the fact that the high pressure pump was activating. My guess is the fuel pressure regulator for now.

Thanks again for the tips.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK