Not starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kerr

Reaction score
I have a1993 Bronco 5.0. Replaced coil - plugs - Distributor cap - plug wires.
Used firing order as was listed. Have spark But do smell gas when trying to start. Ran good before I changed these
Parts. Not firing up now. What could be
The problem. Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Kerr,
Welcome to our Bronco site!

See How to Troubleshoot a Bronco No Start @ https://troubleshootmyvehicle.com/ford/4.9L-5.0L-5.8L/how-to-troubleshoot-a-no-start-1

Find out if speed control, if equipped, recall work is completed.
If you still have concerns about Recalls, please contact the Customer Relationship Center:
US: 800-392-3673 | CA: 800-565-3673
Note: 3673 spells "FORD" on phone keys
For the hearing- or speech-impaired: Please contact the Telecommunication Relay Service by dialing 711.
... have VIN ready.
"Summary: ON CERTAIN PICKUP TRUCKS, PASSENGER VEHICLES, SPORT UTILITY VEHICLES, AND MOTOR HOMES CHASSIS, THE SPEED CONTROL DEACTIVATION SWITCH MAY, UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS, LEAK INTERNALLY AND THEN OVERHEAT, SMOKE, OR BURN. THIS COULD RESULT IN AN UNDERHOOD FIRE."
See this guide by member jowens1126 to confirm recall status @ 93 & 94-96 Cruise Control Recalls Repair
Note that the 93 recall is different than 94-96.

For any Bronco questions or to chat about desired modifications or build, it's better to post each seperately in Noobie Bronco Tech Questions. Flame free zone. This will get more attention and you can build up your post count to get into other sections such as Bronco and Ford Parts/Accessories (50 posts required to participate due to scammers who preyed on our members ).

See 93 Body/Chassis and Drive Train Manuals @ 1993 Ford Truck Service Manuals - Google Drive
In pop-up, Click "Drive"

Here is the 1993 Bronco Dealer Brochure in Google Drive @ 93Bronco.pdf

1993 Bronco Dealer Training Video via member silver70 @

1993 Bronco, Venezuela Commercial @

Haynes Red Manual for 80-95 Bronco & F Series @ Hanes guide 80-96 bko f series.pdf via member BroncMom!

See my mostly recovered site by member schwim @ Ford Bronco And F-150 Links - FORD BRONCO
It contains boo-koo component repairs, installation & parts sources.

Motech

Reaction score
Ran good before I changed these
That's your key there.

Firing order should be 15426378 counterclockwise.

#1 will be cast into the cap for reference.

download (9).pngdownload (10).png

Ford changed the 5.0 firing order to the 351 order right around 94/95, plus most aftermarket cams use it too, so it yours has been modified, chances are it's now 13726548.

Last edited:

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Make sure you are at TDC on the compression stroke for number 1 cylinder. to set the timing

I made the mistake of trying to time her when I was at TDC of the exhaust stroke for cylinder 1

The compression stroke has more pressure

wyo58

Reaction score
Used firing order as was listed. Have spark But do smell gas when trying to start. Ran good before I changed these
The problem. Thanks
Do you have spark at all cylinders? Did you replace the rotor? Is it the correct rotor ( looks like the old one ). Sometimes go simple first then check your firing order, usually if your order is all one off on the cap it will not fire and if it does it can fire through the intake. You did not mention that you changed timing so it should not be that. Just go back of everything, also make sure it is the correct coil as well, it should be an "e core coil"?

johnnyreb

Reaction score
The problem. Thanks
Welcome to the club. Did the parts store sale you the correct coil? Their is a difference between a electronic coil and a point coil(as on older vehicles) They did me. Did you check the gap on the spark plugs? Its best to check all the plugs right out of the box. Look up in the boot of the new plug wires. Some of them are off( the part were attaches to the plug) sometimes will not completely attach on the plug stem. Check ALL of them. I even found them off in my NEW MOTORCRAFT PLUG WIRES. Also their are counterfit parts out their. I,d start buy putting the old coil back on and make a check off list as I would check everything. Good luck.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Welcome to the club. Did the parts store sale you the correct coil? Their is a difference between a electronic coil and a point coil(as on older vehicles) They did me. Did you check the gap on the spark plugs? Its best to check all the plugs right out of the box. Look up in the boot of the new plug wires. Some of them are off( the part were attaches to the plug) sometimes will not completely attach on the plug stem. Check ALL of them. I even found them off in my NEW MOTORCRAFT PLUG WIRES. Also their are counterfit parts out their. I,d start buy putting the old coil back on and make a check off list as I would check everything. Good luck.
Also check the rotary button and hopefully you got the cap and rotary button with the brass tips. They have a better contact then aluminium and lesstrouble.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane