B II front diff swap?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crazy_jackalope

Reaction score
Does anyone know the easiest way to swap the front differential on an 86 B II? I can see how you can unbolt it from the cross arm thingy, but how do you get the diff away from the axles?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Heres what I do jack up the vehicle as far as you can get it and block it very good , Now unhook the shocks on the drivers side and take the wheel off that side too . Now when you let the jack down the axle will swing down far enough to get it out without taking the TTB apart . Oh also have to unhook the front driveshaft . Now take out all the front bolts from the diff then theres 2 on the drivers side of the diff . With them removed pry back on the diff and it will seperate from the axle beam and the 90w will proceed to go all over everything . Now the fun part some dumb shit at ford when they designed this front end decided that they needed a c clip to hold the axle stub in on the passenger side of the diff so you have one of 2 options you either pull like crazy to try to seperate the center 2 axle shaft peices on the passenger side or you swing the now loose diff back as far as you can get it and reach in there with a screwdriver and pop the snap ring off and you will then be able to slide the diff off the stub shaft . One thing I would check is the center 2 axle peices on the passenger side its a slip spline so when the axle moves up and down it moves in and out . The splines are very fine and they usually dont get any grease or they get water in them and rot the splines check this very closely for play or any slop if theres any question about the shape Id get new ones because this is where it will fail . Hope that helps :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat