1981 bronco front suspension coil spring oddity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
So i am in the process of putting on a 2" lift. I got the rear done and got to the front and noticed that my coil springs are different. ***?

If anyone else on here has an 80-86, can you look and see how many coils each of your springs have? My rig is the "trailer special" but i dont see how that should make for mismatched suspension parts. They dont appear to have been removed and the guy i bought the rig from never fixed or maintained anything so im assuming these are stock springs.

If they are stock and meant to be different, would there be an issue with replacing the 10 coil spring with another 7 coil?

Pics included!

Attachments

• IMG_20221027_164232503.jpg
    IMG_20221027_164232503.jpg
    307.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20221027_164249333.jpg
    IMG_20221027_164249333.jpg
    387.9 KB · Views: 8
OP
OP
Harleyjasondavidson
Reaction score
I do understand the optional upgraded springs, and wouldn't be surprised if mine came with the heavy option. It had a second battery and all kinds of relays and stuff along with some unique frame mounts for a winch or plow or something. Most all of the parts i have torn out are marked ford or motorcraft.

However, my curiosity lies in the fact that my right and left springs are not the same. Curb height on both sides measures the same and it seems to ride ok mismatched.

If the different springs were put in as designed by Ford id like to know why. But that said, if every other bronco on here does NOT have mismatched springs then someone did this on purpose or was an error at the factory.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
Crazy ass stuff right there.

I wouldn't think Ford would put two different springs on the same ride form the factory? however ...... Looks like they been on there a while. Whatever you end up doing I would do it to both sides and make them the same.

Are you doing a suspension or body lift?

I have read a TON of posts from folks trying to get a few inches by just going to larger springs ... sometimes it works ... sometimes it is a total train wreck .... with crazy toe that would eat up some tires.

If your just wheeling this with beater tires .... experiment away and see what works. If your dropping coin on new rubber .... I wouldn't chance eating $1,000 tires from using bigger 80$ springs.

OP
OP
Harleyjasondavidson
Reaction score
2" body lift + a 2" "leveling" kit. Im just putting the risers under the coil springs and using the ascentric upper bushings to bring in the camber.

I bought a set of craigslist $400 35's already mounted/balanced so not too worried about tire wear, this rig will be a hunting toy and not a daily driver.

Im going to have to cut out the 10 coil spring on the passenger side because i cant get any tools to the lower nut, so im gonna junkyard another 7 coil spring. (Or a pair if i cant find a match)

Attachments

• IMG_20221031_123042832.jpg
    IMG_20221031_123042832.jpg
    288.9 KB · Views: 7

Seabee1966/1994

Reaction score
2" body lift + a 2" "leveling" kit. Im just putting the risers under the coil springs and using the ascentric upper bushings to bring in the camber.

I bought a set of craigslist $400 35's already mounted/balanced so not too worried about tire wear, this rig will be a hunting toy and not a daily driver.

Im going to have to cut out the 10 coil spring on the passenger side because i cant get any tools to the lower nut, so im gonna junkyard another 7 coil spring. (Or a pair if i cant find a match)
I don't know about the springs, somebody messed that up. I had an 81 and know that for 80 & 81 the front end is different than the later years, supposedly highly sought after w/the rock crawler crowd.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I think your talking about 1978 and 1979..... those bad boys have the HP D44 solid front axle.

The IFS TTB front end starting in 1980.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
I do understand the optional upgraded springs, and wouldn't be surprised if mine came with the heavy option. It had a second battery and all kinds of relays and stuff along with some unique frame mounts for a winch or plow or something. Most all of the parts i have torn out are marked ford or motorcraft.

However, my curiosity lies in the fact that my right and left springs are not the same. Curb height on both sides measures the same and it seems to ride ok mismatched.

If the different springs were put in as designed by Ford id like to know why. But that said, if every other bronco on here does NOT have mismatched springs then someone did this on purpose or was an error at the factory.
They would not purposefully mismatch spring rates from the factory, that being said, it could have been a mistake. My thought is that the 7 coil spring is a replacement that was done at some point in its life. It has a higher spring rate (heavier spring) than the 10 and doesn't fit as well at the top where the retaining strap should be. they can easily sit at the same curb height, but I would bet that if you put a matched set in, you would notice a stability improvement. (It is very easy to not notice a small handling issue in these old Broncos as they handle so poorly when they are good!) (By todays standards)

Just my 2 cents
Cheers

goodO1boydws

Reaction score

If the different springs were put in as designed by Ford id like to know why. But that said, if every other bronco on here does NOT have mismatched springs then someone did this on purpose or was an error at the factory

Never assume anything when buying a used vehicle.

Is the vehicle sitting with all its weight on the tires?
Were the photos taken with the vehicle on a level surface?
Where are you measuring the curb height?

I can't help but notice that the shocks on the side with the 10 coil springs are extended further than on the side with the 7 coils. And on the 10 coil side the shocks appear to be fully extended.

Which they should not be if the vehicle's weight is fully on its tires and the correct weight-supporting springs are in there. When they are near fully extended there is practically no travel distance left to provide resistance to upward movement before hitting the available travel limit, which means they would likely be slamming into the fully extended position when rebounding from even small bumps.

If those are the correct SHOCKS, you may already have about a 2" front lift-from those springs. The correct shock length would be something I'd check before looking at springs.

Its possible that neither of these springs are originals-or suitable for the vehicle's weight-AS IT IS NOW. You said that you had removed some parts, and its possible that someone ahead of you did also. (besides a winch, a snow plow is another, much heavier possibility.)

IF SO, the springs may be compressed considerably less than they would have been with the original weight. And it MAY be 2" high already-which could explain why the shocks are extended so far.

Last edited:

Motech

Reaction score
I could see someone swapping out different spring trying to compensate for the infamous old Bronco lean. But that was usually caused by solid Dana 44 differential clamshell mount bushings installed backward, and presuming yours is the IFS diff...

Still though, you never know. I reckon you'll find out as you install your new lift kit.

OP
OP
Harleyjasondavidson
Reaction score
Got ahold of a 7coil spring from a local guy with a parts truck. Put it in and completed the 2" leveling kit in the front.

The 2" suspension kit allowed me to get my tires on with plenty of room. Haven't had it on the road yet because bumpers are still off, but did some circles in my parking lot and tires dont feel to be rubbing when hitting the stops.

I still have the 2" body lift to go on for some extra fender clearance.

Thanks for the replies everyone.

Attachments

• IMG_20221116_163152796.jpg
    IMG_20221116_163152796.jpg
    331 KB · Views: 3

goodO1boydws

Reaction score
Don't forget to check the brake hoses-you may very well need longer ones at full droop after the body lift to keep from over stressing them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke