Swapping axles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

My Little Mule

Reaction score
Hi Guys!

I has been awhile since I have been here but am ready to dive into my Broncos.

I have a 78 that has full time 4wd with 3.50 gears and a 79 with 4.11 gears and lock out hubs.

Question is....

I want to put the front axle from the 79 into the 78. I use the 78 as a trail rig and want the extra low end power from the 4.11s.

I can see no problems with doing this as aside from the obvious performance changes. I know that transfer cases are different in that the full time case does not have a 2wd option only 4wd hi, 4wd low and neutral. I would just change out the center sections but don't have the skills to set up them and am thinking of just switching the axles. I have already switched the rear axles.

Anyone done this before or see any potential issues?

Thanks for any advice.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I don't see any problems with that at all. Should just be a bolt in swap and I agree it is easier to swap axles then center sections.

Gives you a chance and new caster bushings, radius rod bushings. Nice refresh if needed.

OP
OP
M

My Little Mule

Reaction score
I don't see any problems with that at all. Should just be a bolt in swap and I agree it is easier to swap axles then center sections.

Gives you a chance and new caster bushings, radius rod bushings. Nice refresh if needed.
Thanks Tiha!
that is kind of what I was thinking but thought I should ask the experts first.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23