another problem with my window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
ok i thought i was on ez street with the new window motor but it seems like i have another problem took the door panel off unpluged the old window motor and just for kicks i thought i take the power plug and plug it in to the new motor so now i am baffeled when i push the window up button the motor spins no problem but when i push the window down button nothing is happening no spinning of the gear now i wondering if it is a broken wire some where . but like i said in my other post the motor that is in there now would feel like a click when i push the up button and when i hit the down button nothing happens..........also im wondering does the regulator need to be connected to have weight on the motor .help im lost

50joe

Reaction score
Shouldn't need weight to move the motor. Sounds like either a bad switch, or most likely a broken wire somewhere. Grab your self a test light, and see if you are getting power down to the motor. One wire is hot for up, other hot for down. Both should be grounded when its not commanded on. Usual spots for a broken wire is right inside the door jamb where the harness flexes when you open the door.

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
Shouldn't need weight to move the motor. Sounds like either a bad switch, or most likely a broken wire somewhere. Grab your self a test light, and see if you are getting power down to the motor. One wire is hot for up, other hot for down. Both should be grounded when its not commanded on. Usual spots for a broken wire is right inside the door jamb where the harness flexes when you open the door.
you know i was thinking a switch also but how likely is it for both switchs drivers and passenger to go bad at the same time ...and another thing i was saying was for a week or so b4 the window stopped working it was going up slow so now i am really confused with this problem...thanks

50joe

Reaction score
Your right, both wont go bad at once, but the drivers door switch can throw off the pass. door switch.

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
ok heres what is happening i took the old p/w motor out hooked it up to a power source pushed the up button the gear will turn when i hit the down button nothing happens . ok so i hooked the new motor to the power source pushed the up button and the gear turned when i hit the down button nothing happens it is the same scenerio as the old motor . so just to make sure it is not weight sensitive to work the down part of the motor i put the new motor with no problem .i put it back together the window will only go up. i am really confused now because b4 i put the new motor in it was suggested to me to check for a broken wire with a testlight i probed the wires in the door jam i push the up button the light comes on the down button the light comes on .so next i disconnect the connection this is the farthest point the electricity will go b4 it goes into the wire that is connected to the motor i push the up button the light comes on i push the down button the light comes on so now i know i have power to the furthest point b4 the motor wires.now i have questionsis the motor gear suppose to spin when i push the down button an is it possible the new motor is only working when i push the up button and it is defective? i am really lost .thanks

50joe

Reaction score
You can test both those motors, without using a switch. Grab yourself a couple of jumper wires with alligator clips on each end. (Most parts retailers have these, and are always good to have around.) Run one from one of the motor connector tabs to the ground post on the battery, the other to the positive. The motor will spin. Then reverse the wires either on the battery or the motor, and the motor should spin the other way.

Since you said both wires are getting juice when commanded, the next step is to make sure they are both grounded properly. I have come across where at rest, both wires on the plug have a ground. Then when you command the window up or down, one wire will get voltage, and the other will lose it's ground. Seeing how both are getting juice at the motor connector, its probably not a broken wire. From what your telling me, It sounds like one of the switches is bad, but better off running a few tests to be sure. Hope this helps.......

Seabronc

Reaction score
Attached is a typical power window circuit. I am assuming that you are talking about the driver or passenger window. If not this is the wrong diagram.

Add your truck vital statistics to your signature, it will help get better answers.

Good luck,

:)>-

PG72.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
You can test both those motors, without using a switch. Grab yourself a couple of jumper wires with alligator clips on each end. (Most parts retailers have these, and are always good to have around.) Run one from one of the motor connector tabs to the ground post on the battery, the other to the positive. The motor will spin. Then reverse the wires either on the battery or the motor, and the motor should spin the other way. Since you said both wires are getting juice when commanded, the next step is to make sure they are both grounded properly. I have come across where at rest, both wires on the plug have a ground. Then when you command the window up or down, one wire will get voltage, and the other will lose it's ground. Seeing how both are getting juice at the motor connector, its probably not a broken wire. From what your telling me, It sounds like one of the switches is bad, but better off running a few tests to be sure. Hope this helps.......
if the switches were bad and i had bad ground the test light would not come one isnt this correct and if it is a bad ground how can i track the problem and fix it ...thanks

50joe

Reaction score
Your right, the light will not come on. You can use a ohm meter, or, they sell a test light called a "power probe". It lights a multi-colored LED to verify power and ground, and also allows you to apply power and ground to a circuit. Its not a cheap item, but when it comes to electrical issue's , its a life saver. I get mine from the snap-on dealer, but i have seen them in retail stores.

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
Your right, the light will not come on. You can use a ohm meter, or, they sell a test light called a "power probe". It lights a multi-colored LED to verify power and ground, and also allows you to apply power and ground to a circuit. Its not a cheap item, but when it comes to electrical issue's , its a life saver. I get mine from the snap-on dealer, but i have seen them in retail stores.
ok now i am at the end of my rope . when the parts store opens up im going to get sometest wire with alligator clips this way i can test the motor like you said . .i really hope this is the problem .two bad motors only spinning in one direction is really odd but you know how many times did u buy something new and it doesnt work.the ohm meter may be next but u know the test light burned just as bright as the pushing the down button as it did pushing the up. maybe i will install a crank handle.............

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
ok this is what i have so far i hooked up test leads to the batt. the motor spins in both directions when i swith the wires like what was suggested so now i know the motor is good. so now im back to wondering why the test light burned bright when i tested the wires in the door jam area like i said in my earlier post i tested the power wires to there furthest point b-4 they would connect to the motor and the test light burned bright when i would push the up or down switch. i know the motor is good and im getting power i made sure the regulator is not bent or jamming. i also know both switchs are giving power to the furtest point b4 it would connect into the motor....its like knowing your lamp in your house has power to the part u ***** the bulb into but there is no light .and you changed the bulb and you know its good . i am really pinned with this problem i really dont have the money to take it to an electrical shop.....thanks

Seabronc

Reaction score
ok this is what i have so far i hooked up test leads to the batt. the motor spins in both directions when i swith the wires like what was suggested so now i know the motor is good. so now im back to wondering why the test light burned bright when i tested the wires in the door jam area like i said in my earlier post i tested the power wires to there furthest point b-4 they would connect to the motor and the test light burned bright when i would push the up or down switch. i know the motor is good and im getting power i made sure the regulator is not bent or jamming. i also know both switchs are giving power to the furtest point b4 it would connect into the motor....its like knowing your lamp in your house has power to the part u ***** the bulb into but there is no light .and you changed the bulb and you know its good . i am really pinned with this problem i really dont have the money to take it to an electrical shop.....thanks
If you don't have a ground, then both wires will show 12V no matter which way you push the button because you will be getting a back circuit through the motor. Use the diagram I gave you and trouble shoot the ground connection.

Good luck,

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
If you don't have a ground, then both wires will show 12V no matter which way you push the button because you will be getting a back circuit through the motor. Use the diagram I gave you and trouble shoot the ground connection.

Good luck,

seabronc i really appreicate all of your help and everyone elses but i am lost looking at that diagram i do not even know where the ground would be or where it would be hooked up. i look at the diagram and it is like a blueprint what and where eveything is im lost

OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
ok so i hooked the pw motor to the batt and it spins both ways so the motor is good . i was told by seabronc the ground is bad and use the diagram he sent me troubleshoot the problem . i dont know what i am looking at and how to find where the ground is to repair the problem.....anysuggestion s?

50joe

Reaction score
OK, I may fumble the expanation, but I'll do my best. I'm going with a 95 diagram here, so hope that correct. At the window motor connector, both terminals should be grounded when you are not hitting the button. You say the window goes up, so they should both test ok at this point. So with the window motor unplugged, (may need a helper), push up on the button. Use the test light to figure out which one is power. Hook the ohm meter to the other terminal and any ground, and you should have continuity. Its has to be there since the window goes up, so you may have to search around for a bit for a good contact. once you establish how the good circuit works, you can check the bad one. switch the meter to the other tab in the connector, and hit the down button. if the one side has power, and the other no ground, your on the right path. Now go over to the master switch on the drivers door. The white/yellow and the tan/light blue wires are the ones that run the right window motor. Test those two wires the same way as the plug from the window motor. push up on the button, one will be hot, the other will be ground. Now push down, and the wires should reverse. If the master switch is bad, you will have power and ground in the up position, but only power in the down position. If the Pass switch is bad, you will have power and ground in both positions. The pass switch gets its ground from the drivers side motor, and if the drivers window works fine, and pass side goes up, just not down, your problem is between the master switch and the motor. Whew...Hope that helps you out some.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Devil Dog08

Devil Dog08

Reaction score
OK, I may fumble the expanation, but I'll do my best. I'm going with a 95 diagram here, so hope that correct. At the window motor connector, both terminals should be grounded when you are not hitting the button. You say the window goes up, so they should both test ok at this point. So with the window motor unplugged, (may need a helper), push up on the button. Use the test light to figure out which one is power. Hook the ohm meter to the other terminal and any ground, and you should have continuity. Its has to be there since the window goes up, so you may have to search around for a bit for a good contact. once you establish how the good circuit works, you can check the bad one. switch the meter to the other tab in the connector, and hit the down button. if the one side has power, and the other no ground, your on the right path. Now go over to the master switch on the drivers door. The white/yellow and the tan/light blue wires are the ones that run the right window motor. Test those two wires the same way as the plug from the window motor. push up on the button, one will be hot, the other will be ground. Now push down, and the wires should reverse. If the master switch is bad, you will have power and ground in the up position, but only power in the down position. If the Pass switch is bad, you will have power and ground in both positions. The pass switch gets its ground from the drivers side motor, and if the drivers window works fine, and pass side goes up, just not down, your problem is between the master switch and the motor. Whew...Hope that helps you out some.
wow.this must a took a long time to do this .i really appriciate it. i am going to this step by step ....thanks ...i thought i run this by you

.a mech. at ryder trans where i lease my tractor trailer from said it is a bad ground some where . he suggested that i use a wire with aligator clips on each end and hook one end to the motor like on a ***** or somewhere and the other to a good ground .he said the window should work in both directions .. he was saying this would cut the repair time down . if the window works he suggested that i get a good mesh type of ground cable and c onnect from the motor to a good ground. since u seem a bit smarter i thought i would ask you what u thoght of this type of repair.......t/y so much

50joe

Reaction score
the problem with that is its not the right type of circuit to do that with. The way that works is, you start with two ground to the motor. this keeps the motor at rest. when you hit either up button, it turns one wire to power, leaves the other as a ground. this activates the motor. When you hit down, it reverses the polarity. Basicially, it takes the functions of the wires in the "up" mode, and reverses them. this makes the motor spin backwards, and makes it go down. The ground does not run through the motor housing, so I'm not sure where he thinks you can hook another ground to. If you hook it to either wire, not only will neither switch work, but it will also blow the fuse when the wire connected to ground is powered for either up or down.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke