88 bronco 2 fuel injected automatic 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BobJamisonIII

Reaction score
So Im currently doing some work on the wiring harness of my 88 bronco 2. I was searching for a bad wire do to a SPOUT code. So o decided I'd pull the entire harness out to go through it. Upon following the wires down to the tranny where there was a circular plug that plugged into the tranny, I found another plug just hanging there, not plugged in anywhere. Not sure if this plug is important but was curious. Thanks

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo Bob,

What type of transmission and type of transfer case is in there?

Transmission:

Automatic A4LD

Manual Mitsubishi FM146 5-Speed

0r Mazda M5OD 5-Speed

Transfer Case:

BW1350 Manually Shifted or

Electric Shift?

====

Here are BII Wiring Diagrams;

88 b11 eng wiring diagram.jpg

and

http://www.revbase.com/BBBMotor/Wd/DownloadPdf?id=20637

as you can see, they are not complete nor complementary; i.e. see Neutral Safety Switch wire color differences.

So post the colors in each connector.

=========

Can you recall what the SPOUT Code was?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BobJamisonIII

Reaction score
Code 18 I believe something about SPOUT circuit grounded. It's the automatic tranny will look her shortly

OP
OP
B

BobJamisonIII

Reaction score
The color of the wires on this random plug are red, yellow, and yellow with a bluish greenish stripe. The round plug is what plugs into the top of the tranny which I may have messed something up with because after plugging it back in and test driving I seemed to have lost overdrive, but that another topic started elsewhere. The other plug in the picture is the random plug that was just hanging there.

image.jpg

image.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yp,

I can't locate a good A4LD wiring Diagram.

A4LD uses EEC-IV to control TCC lockup, and engine vacuum to control the 3-4 shift via the vacuum modulator; ensure vacuum host to modulator has vacuum; any fluid leakage inside hose means mod's diaphragm is ruptured.

Can you check the wiring into the connector pins or sockets?

Ask local Library if they have All Data on line; they have the Ford wiring diagrams;; our's had Chilton available on line # home using Librry card #; but switched to All Data for in-library use only; then dropped it due to cost.

here is an A4LD depiction and overview;

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/a4ld.html

A4LD Service Manual

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/pdf_documents/A4LD_manual.pdf

see the extensive vacuum modulator test; I'd cluck tires, turn eng on and reach under to pull hose off and fell a strong vacuum on a finger. BE CAREFUL!

DTC 18

dtc18.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BobJamisonIII

Reaction score
Ok so I found it and no fluid in the vacuum line. I have a multi meter to test with, do you mean testing the wires of the circulate plug that plugs into the tranny? I could try what am I trsting for or looking

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo,

To Test either connector and wiring, you'll need the wiring diagrams

A4LD is computer controlled & EEC-IV controls torque converter clutch (TCC) lock-up; so have to test wire(s) from, EEC IV to transmission.

Does other connector fit into any transfer case connection (male or female)?

OP
OP
B

BobJamisonIII

Reaction score
I can't find any place that it would plug Into. I will say I just dropped the tranny pan and changed out the filter and fluid, the fluid was almost black!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
david@holycitytransportat