15x12 rims...got a question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FS90Bronco

Reaction score
Okay so my buddy has a 93 Tahoe two door. He has a 3" body lift and is running 33x12.5 with 15x12 rims. I love the way his truck looks because the rims stick out so far. Here is my question, I have a 90 Full Size Bronco with a 3" body lift. 33's clear without a problem but I was just wondering, can I run 15x12 rims on my Bronco with 33x12.5? Will I have to trim anything or will I be good to go?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Wheel spacers would be better option in my opinion than new wheels. Especially 12 in wide rims for 12.5 in wide tires, I'd rather see the 12.5s on a 10 in wide rim to lessen the risk of pulling the bead off the rim, because that puts a damper on the day when that happens.

Roadkill

Reaction score
With the spacers you dont have to worry about the bead popping off. But by moving the wheels outwards with a spacer, it will increase the load on wheel bearings thereby causing increased wear and shorter life. It will also have an effect on steering geometry. Buy pushing the wheel further outward, you may get some interfearance with the fender and/or bumper when turning because the wheel will be further out through the whole turning arc. I'm not sure about that last part, your body lift may give enough clearance.

The wider wheel/tire combo (without spacers) will probably rub on the radius arms a little when the wheels are turned all the way. As long as your not running super swampers or something like that, its not that big a deal and you cant "trim" the radius arms anyway.

I would agree with Broncosaurus and just go with the 15X10 rims but try it without the spacers first. The tires will look pretty wide anyway and you can always add the spacers if you dont like the look. Anyhow, I would not recomend using a rim that is wider than what is recomended by the tire manufacturer due to the risk of failure that Broncosaurus pointed out.

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
Yeah the spacers will wear out bearings and stuff sooner but so does going off road and beating the snot out of it. Its a sacrifice no doubt, is it worth it, thats your call.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Yeah the spacers will wear out bearings and stuff sooner but so does going off road and beating the snot out of it. Its a sacrifice no doubt, is it worth it, thats your call.
Oh so true. Bronc-itus is not a cheap disease. The harder you play, the more it costs. B)

OP
OP
F

FS90Bronco

Reaction score
I am too old (27) to still be mudding and stuff like that. I am just looking for a truck to pull my 4-wheelers with and to go camping out in Ocala, FL. I was thinking a set of 33x12.5 BFG AT tires on the 15x12...no go, huh?

Yardape

Reaction score
If you like that look go for it. I am not a fan of wheel spacers, there has been people on here recommending those ever since I started on here. There is a risk of you blowing the bead. If you get the correct offset you will not have to worry about spacers and whatnot. There is a guy I work with that has a little ranger, he has 10.5 inch all terrains on a 10 inch rim, to me that looks ********* but everyone compliments him daily, the rim is wider than the tread for craps sake, you will get that same effect. If you hit a curb or something you can expect some major rim damage. People normally put the 12.5's on an 8 inch rim, which looks a bit skinny, if you use a 10 inch rim, that would look great. Save the 12's for something more along the lines of the 14-15 inch boggers.

LOSTinthewoods

Reaction score
I road 15x12 with 33/12.50's 4 years on my 84 .Jumping it, muddin it ,everything (it was my first car).i never had a problem with the tires. The frame cracked behind the shock tower though..lol!

Broncosaurus!

Reaction score
I don't understand why having rims that make your tires look small would be good, I would rather go with 15x8s than 15x12s, of course 15x10 is best(cause its what I have)

LOSTinthewoods

Reaction score
It looked stout.They never rubbed.It had a 3inch body lift and bushwacker fender flares.I still have them in the shed,there bald and dirty but if you want i cant take a picture of them .

OP
OP
F

FS90Bronco

Reaction score
I was actually looking for a picture of them on the Bronco so I can get an idea of how they would look. What kind of rims are they...interested in selling the rims?

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
I was actually looking for a picture of them on the Bronco so I can get an idea of how they would look. What kind of rims are they...interested in selling the rims?
The first pic in my gallery shows the front corner of my truck and how far out a 15x10 Sticks out. I have 31 10.50 15s on now. I had a set of 33 12.50 15 thornbirds on it with no problems. Mine is still stock height for now ( somthing about a new motor first??? ) The only reason I ditched the birds was that it reminded me of driving my Granddads john deere. Truck vibrated so bad the mirrors were useless!!

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
The first pic in my gallery shows the front corner of my truck and how far out a 15x10 Sticks out. I have 31 10.50 15s on now. I had a set of 33 12.50 15 thornbirds on it with no problems. Mine is still stock height for now ( somthing about a new motor first??? ) The only reason I ditched the birds was that it reminded me of driving my Granddads john deere. Truck vibrated so bad the mirrors were useless!!

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
The width of the tire and back spacing of the rim is what makes it stick out,not the actual rim width. Personally I prefer the look of a rim sunken in to the tire making the tire look bigger....

Mike @ Tracy

Reaction score
The width of the tire and back spacing of the rim is what makes it stick out,not the actual rim width. Personally I prefer the look of a rim sunken in to the tire making the tire look bigger....
Actually I do to, however circumstances led me to the 31x10.50s Didnt feel like moving 600 miles while wearing the thornbirds :wacko: That and the tire shop traded me the used thornys for the brand spankin new 31s?! As far as back spacing on mine im not shure what it is, they are off of a 70s CJ something. Ill check them if you guys would like to know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23