On going issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
I have owned this 93 Bronco 5.0 with E04D tranny for 4 years. Everytime I turn around something is wrong with it. This is all that has been replaced.
Spark plug and wires, distributor cap and rotor, EGR valve and sensor, Idle control, new column, ignition switch, fuel filter, alternator, battery, starter, new vacuum lines, neutral safety switch (2 years old) throttle body sensor and motorcraft Solenoid (only 4 months old).
Issues now; at start up will idle to 2500 rpms, then down to 1500 and settles about 1000 to 900. No check engine light. Back out the driveway then start to go forward hear what sounds like a vacuum leak right behind drivers dash. The brake booster has a brand new hose. The noise goes away when driving.
NEW issue: Drive the bronco and make two stops. Get back in go to start. Nothing. ABS light comes on, no check engine light, but battery light shining. No clicking. Keep ignition key on, get a screwdriver and bridge the selenoid, starts right up. This thing has gone to the shop 5 times to figure stuff out. I am trying to fix stuff myself since my husband is never home and he gets very ticked every time it breaks down. Here is a video of the noise behind the drivers side dash. I put the phone on the dash and recorded it.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Couple issues there, yes it can be frustrating, but better than a car payment.

RPMs at start up. I think you want to unplug the IAC and see how it acts when you start it up. It could certainly be a vacuum leak.

On the no start condition, when the starter was replaced, did they also replace the smaller control wire? I know that was one issue, the wire would corrode. New starters came with that wire and instructions on how to install it. That could be one cause. Another is the starter solenoid on the pass side fender. If this solenoid is bad or has heat related issues it can cause this.

When you jumper the starter are you doing it at the starter or the solenoid/relay on the passenger fender?

OP
OP
R

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
I have unplugged the IAC and it still runs, but hardly a difference in the idling. When it wouldnt start today, the first thing I tried was putting it in neutral. Still nothing. No clicking, no check engine light, just ABS lit up and the battery idiot light. Kept the key to on , went to the selenoid and bridged the screwdriver across the screws. Started right up and drove it home and parked it. The starter, I am not sure about the wiring. I know my husband put two separate ones in because the one was defective from Advance. The battery is new with new post. Whats weird is how the selenoid is wired up. It only works this way? See photo.

Attachments

• 20240110_091611.jpg
    20240110_091611.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 5

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
To properly test it, You need to see if there is !2v with a test light on the little red wire on that solenoid while the key is held in the start position.

Most likely that solenoid is bad.

Sounds like there is a vacuum leak on the engine somewhere causing the high idle. Or at least that is what I would look for next.

OP
OP
R

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
Okay thanks. I just replaced it with a motorcraft 4 months ago.
When I recorded that noise, I had my cell on the dash in front of the steering wheel. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side. I have a new hose on the power brake booster? The only thing loose is the hose going from the airbox to the oil cover. After I drive forward, you dont hear it anymore?

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Was hoping someone else would step in. But they used to have a vacuum line running inside the cab to the brake pedal to cancel the cruise control. That could certainly be leaking but I honestly don't know if they had done away with that by 1993 or not.

You can always pull the line from the engine to the brake booster, plug with a bolt or something, Start it up and see how it runs, or if the noise goes away.

OP
OP
R

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
When I recorded that noise, I had my cell on the dash in front of the steering wheel. It sounds like its coming from the drivers side. I have a new hose on the power brake booster? The only thing loose is the hose going from the airbox to the oil cover. After I drive forward, you dont hear it anymore?
Like your Shepherd meme. I have two Shepherds. A black female and a sable and black female who us a rescue.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Like your Shepherd meme. I have two Shepherds. A black female and a sable and black female who us a rescue.
Oh don't get me started on shepherds LOL
I had a black american and he was not a great shepherd but he was a great dog. Usually paired with a classic black and tan. Seems like I have not had good luck with them living long lately though.
Both my sons have black shepherds right now. One son lives with me yet.

Once he is gone I might start shopping again.

My second to the last rescue was the best dog ever. Both his parents came straight from germany. 120 pounds, long hair, very traditional personality. Never felt so safe in my life. But behind closed doors he thought he was just another lap dog. LOL

OP
OP
R

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
Oh don't get me started on shepherds LOL
I had a black american and he was not a great shepherd but he was a great dog. Usually paired with a classic black and tan. Seems like I have not had good luck with them living long lately though.
Both my sons have black shepherds right now. One son lives with me yet.

Once he is gone I might start shopping again.

My second to the last rescue was the best dog ever. Both his parents came straight from germany. 120 pounds, long hair, very traditional personality. Never felt so safe in my life. But behind closed doors he thought he was just another lap dog. LOL
Sorry I meant to say solid black male. He is 8 and not very nice to strangers. He granfather is Bomber Vom Wolfshiem. The sable and black female was thrown from a moving Vehicle at 6 months. She had radial nerve damage. She had 8 months of therapy and able to walk on her front right leg but wont be 100%. We fostered her but we ended up keeping her because she just loves my husband and her medical bills were expensive. We didn't think anyone would take care of her properly.

paul rondelli

Reaction score
I feel your pain.

I have a 1993 XLT Bronco that sits in my driveway laughing at me. The E4OD went out a few years ago .... and I'm not ready to tackle that beast.

My 1996 XL Bronco with a 5 speed and a 302 is just about the most reliable ride I have ever owned. She has 210,000 miles on her ... and drives like new.

Some of these were babied and some were beat on .... it is hard to tell which you have ... until stuff starts to break.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Sorry, joining the party late, I just got back from the Pomona race.
Tiha, it looks like they did use the vac dump in 93, but it makes a fairly small leak.
It sounds like you may have a leaking brake booster. (From the seal on the apply rod, inside the cab)
I suggest that you disconnect the booster vacuum line and plug it before you start it and see if the high idle and\or noise goes away. If so, a new booster should fix it. If not, more testing. (We will discuss if need be)
For the starting problem, It won't be the solenoid, because it cranks with a jumper tool.
It could be harness, ignition switch, or neutral safety switch.
Next time it acts up, rather than trying neutral, hold the key in the crank position and run through the gears. If it tries at any point, try adjusting the neutral switch. if not, try tilting the column up and down while holding the key in crank (with good force).
Then we can go to electrical checks if you have no luck.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

OP
OP
R

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
Finally was able to check the voltage. I have 12.85 volts off the battery. While bronco is running, the battery has 14.53 volts. The alternator while running has 14.55. Tested the selenoid it was over 12v. I am at a loss. So why would it be dead, but I can bridge the selenoid to start it and putting it in neutral wouldnt start it? The neutral safety switch is a little over a year old. Has a new rebuilt steering column and ignition switch. The ignition coil looks like it's been never changed. All rusty.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
You have a power supply , switch, or broken wire problem.

I am trying to find a better wiring diagram but the starting circuit is as simple as the picture I posted.

The yellow wire going to the ignition switch does not go to the battery it is usually hooked to the battery side of the solenoid.

from the solenoid it is usually a fuseable link. Meaning it is a wire meant to burn or pop like a fuse if there is too much current. (I think 93 had a fuseible link and not a fuse that is what i am looking for)

So you have to have power on the yellow wire at the ignition switch. It should be there all the time with the key off.

From there, while holding the ignition switch in the start/crank position then the blue and red wire should have power on it.

From the ignition switch located in the bottom of the steering column above the brake pedal the red and blue wire runs to the transmission neutral safety switch. Which is on the driver's side of the trans. Has like 4-6 wires going into it.

Red and blue comes back out of the neutral safety switch and runs to the starter solenoid on the passenger fender well.

Typically I would use a simple test light. Check the yellow wires and red/blue at the ignition switch. that is the easy place to start.

Those are the only 2 wires, only 3 parts that will keep the engine from starting with the key.

9af7ca9cf3aff5c449141332a9b95df7.jpg

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
Found a couple diagrams.

Looks like it is a fusible link. Gray one. From this diagram it says it comes from the fuse box in the engine compartment. When previously they came directly from the starter solenoid.

So to me, the first thing to check is power, all the time, at the yellow wire on the ignition switch inside the cab. If you have power there then you don't need to find the fuseable link. Wouldn't matter where it is.

According to this diagram there should be 5 yellow wires going into the ignition switch and every one of them should have power all the time. But there may not be that many, it doesn't tell us what is Jumper'd internally.

download.pngdownload (1).png

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Sorry I meant to say solid black male. He is 8 and not very nice to strangers. He granfather is Bomber Vom Wolfshiem. The sable and black female was thrown from a moving Vehicle at 6 months. She had radial nerve damage. She had 8 months of therapy and able to walk on her front right leg but wont be 100%. We fostered her but we ended up keeping her because she just loves my husband and her medical bills were expensive. We didn't think anyone would take care of her properly.
Great to hear you all take good care of her. I don,t like people mistreating animals. I was coming home on a week-end pass from the navy. Just passed a couple of homes outside of Stanton,Va. Following this car and ahead was a dog sitting about 30 feet off the highway--when all of a sudden the driver went out of the road and ran over the doh. I got the description of the vehicle with tag number. Turned around and the first house I knocked on the door. A lady answered and I asked her if she had a dog and describer it. She said it was her dog--why? Then I described the scene and gave her the piece of paper with the information of the vehicle. She thanked me and said the vehicle would be stopped--her husband was a state police and was coming this way now and she was gonna call him back and report the vehicle. I told her I would testify if she they needed me and she thanked me.

OP
OP
R

RetiredAFSpouse

Reaction score
The new Throttle body sensor wasn't adjusted right, hence the idling issue. The S wire on the seloniod was loose. So that may of been part of starting issue also.
NOW; My check engine light comes on when it feels like it. It doesn't come on at all when the ignition switch is turned on. But driving it today it came on. Then went off, then flickered on then stayed on. I parked and try to get the codes (always keep a paper clip available). Check engine light was out again and didn't come back on. I have a gremlin in that truck I swear.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane