ignition key won't go into key tumbler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Every time I try to move forward I have another question.

I am having a hard time even knowing how to word this question. There are two spring loaded pins that I think are electrical connectors that are located in a circle very close to the steering column and they are both on the same diameter/circumference and they spin freely and separate from the turn signal switch. One is copper colored and one is steel colored.

There is also a key-way on the backside of the steering wheel that aligns on the same circumference as these pins. It appears to me that when I install the steering wheel that one of these pins is going to fall into the key-way the first time the steering wheel is rotated.

Am I supposed to align this in any particular way when I install the steering wheel so that one or the other pin is in the key-way??

I think that this may be the connections for the cruise control?
Hey Mike, without a pict, the best I can come up with is those sound like the pins to drive the turn signal cancel cam. They should lock into a slot or hole so the plastic ring turns with the wheel to kick off the signal switch on return. The horn\cruise contacts are the 2 that are on springs but don't move around. (If that makes sense)
Hope that helps
Cheers

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Hey Mike, without a pict, the best I can come up with is those sound like the pins to drive the turn signal cancel cam. They should lock into a slot or hole so the plastic ring turns with the wheel to kick off the signal switch on return. The horn\cruise contacts are the 2 that are on springs but don't move around. (If that makes sense)
Hope that helps
Cheers
That makes a lot of sense.

The thing is that there are two of them and there is a key-way/slot cut into the back of the steering wheel that one of them is going to lock into (I think) when the wheel is turned aligning the pin and the slot.

I found the following video while typing this reply. Go forward to 5min - 30 seconds and he talks about aligning the two parts when installing the wheel. The question becomes which pin to fit into the slot because they are not exactly the same.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
The two pins are different materials, one being a metallic silver color and the other a bronze/copper color. My experience makes me think that the silver steel pin would lock into the wheel because it is stronger material and the copper color might be an electrical connector. It never occurred to me that it was for cancelling the turn signal.

The copper colored pin has a little bit of a neck cut into it's diameter near it's top end making me think that it does matter which pin goes into the slot.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
You are probably correct, In my years at the dealer, I never saw a reference to them in the service info, nor did I align them on installation.
That being said, it doesn't by any means mean that my method was correct, just lucky.
I am curious, let me know what you find.
A lot of them only have one pin and the other hole is empty.
I'm pretty sure they will self align as soon as the wheel is turned.
Good luck
Cheers

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Thanks, I looked and that is as you say. Now can you tell me where the heck is that noise maker for the inserted key? Mine is sounding very faintly and I can't find it!
bronco buzzer.jpg
It should be above the glove box opening on the back side of the dash panel.

Motech

Reaction score
It's difficult to understand YouTube Dude from his driveway. Instructional videos are really much better starring a pro who knows what he's talking about.

I found another one, it's not really much better, but it did give me a better screenshot to capture. Hope it helps.

Screenshot_20230812-081100-01.jpeg

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I'm still stuck on getting a new key tumbler assembly to go into the steering column. I have an SMP lock from Amazon that wouldn;t fit so I bought asecond Echlin lock and it is exactly the same and doesn't fit.

I proved that everything is aligned properly because the old lock slides right in with no effort and a nice little click.

Has anyone ever had this problem? Any help would be appreciated.

Mime.
I,m having the same problem with mine and its made buy Stantard--but alot of these companys are having parts made in China. I noticed on mine the little black button that locks it in the steering column is missing. So now when I pull the key out--all of it comes out. I guess we can thank CLINTON for his NAFTA TRADE AGGREMENT. Damn China made junk. Beware of these RESTORED VEHICLES THAT HAVE CHINA PARTS ON THEN.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Check out STEERING COLUMN SERVICES---in California. They have schematic and many parts and also work on them. They good company to deal with. Ask to speak with Peter. --Yes its his name and I am not being rude(haha) You can find them on the internet--type in STEERING COLUMN SERVICE and hit enter--Good luck

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
It's difficult to understand YouTube Dude from his driveway. Instructional videos are really much better starring a pro who knows what he's talking about.

I found another one, it's not really much better, but it did give me a better screenshot to capture. Hope it helps.

View attachment 31580
I have a pin where he points to a missing cancel pin.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
I,m having the same problem with mine and its made buy Stantard--but alot of these companys are having parts made in China. I noticed on mine the little black button that locks it in the steering column is missing. So now when I pull the key out--all of it comes out. I guess we can thank CLINTON for his NAFTA TRADE AGGREMENT. Damn China made junk. Beware of these RESTORED VEHICLES THAT HAVE CHINA PARTS ON THEN.
Motorcraft SW2061 is what worked for my 89.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Here is a picture of the two pins

Attachments

• 7B279CD8-13D3-424E-96CE-7C1B156DF38D.jpeg
    7B279CD8-13D3-424E-96CE-7C1B156DF38D.jpeg
    177.3 KB · Views: 6
OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
I found a clear photo of a new switch with only one pin. That pin is the silver metal one and it is counterclockwise of the second hole on the circle. being the only one pin, it has to be the one that locks into the slot on the steering wheel.

I am still curious what the second pin does

Attachments

• IMG_0039.jpeg
    IMG_0039.jpeg
    155.8 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Thank you all again. I found a small spring for the tilt wheel lever around the garage and the Motorcraft key Cylinder works perfectly after aligning it with the electrical switch.
The Motorcraft key switch even has the Ford logo on the keys, very nice

Attachments

• 693952A0-7F14-40B2-BE71-88995338DB79.jpeg
    693952A0-7F14-40B2-BE71-88995338DB79.jpeg
    265.8 KB · Views: 4

johnnyreb

Reaction score
Thank you all again. I found a small spring for the tilt wheel lever around the garage and the Motorcraft key Cylinder works perfectly after aligning it with the electrical switch.
The Motorcraft key switch even has the Ford logo on the keys, very nice
Congratulations---If you need any parts--contact STEERING COLUMN SERVICE in California. They are really nice people to deal with. You can fin them on the internet.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I thought of that myself so I removed the electrical switch again so that I can grab the actuator rod from below and move it up and down and that is no help. I can see that the casting on the replacement parts have rounded corners where the original has nice sharp corners and a caliper tells me that it is a little larger.

I think that I have a handle on this now. I sat down with the Ford Master Parts Catalog and came up with about six different part numbers for key cylinders that were made in the 1980's. there is only 1 for 1989 (e9tz-11582-a) which crosses to Motorcraft sw2241. The Echlin part claims to fit Broncos throughout the 80's but I have to disagree at this point. Some may be interchangeable but I am convinced now that this part does not fit my Bronco steering column.

The local Ford parts counter agrees with my part numbers and is trying to find me the Motorcraft part today. I'm waiting for his call.

I've attached a snip from the parts catalog
Try Green sales out of Cincinatti,Ohio. They have alot of original part. Type it in your address bar and punch enter. While your at it--watch the videos too. They have people to answer their phone and helpful ypp.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane