Installing Clearance Lights

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ledzilla

Reaction score
I've been considering installing clearance lights on the roof of my '83. Since I run it with a plow, I was thinking the more visibility the better, plus I kinda like the look. I've never had need to remove interior trim in the front of a vehicle cabin or the headliner in anything, so I thought I'd ask if there was anything I should know before I starting trying to take everything apart. All I've seen so far in searching for info on the topic has been either very generic or specific to a vehicle insufficiently similar to my Bronco. I already have the understanding of the actual installation process regarding the mounting of the lights and the wiring. It's just the specifics of the interior of the cabin I am unsure of. Figure this will also be handy knowledge to have when I'm ready to install my Federal Signal Aerodynic light bar. Just need to finish the repair and update work on it and then I'll have that ready to roll when plowing.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
I have put them on a few trucks for people.

You can buy a kit with template off places like eBay. The template never fits perfect but it helps ensure spacing is even and holes are correctly placed.

Drop headliner.
Tape down template
Drill holes.
Install lights. I usually use windshield urethane. It is messy but should never leak. Put it around the wire hole and both ***** holes.
***** lights down.
Clean up extra adhesive
Wire lights, run wire to a pillar.
Install headliner.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
I've been considering installing clearance lights on the roof of my '83. Since I run it with a plow, I was thinking the more visibility the better, plus I kinda like the look. I've never had need to remove interior trim in the front of a vehicle cabin or the headliner in anything, so I thought I'd ask if there was anything I should know before I starting trying to take everything apart. All I've seen so far in searching for info on the topic has been either very generic or specific to a vehicle insufficiently similar to my Bronco. I already have the understanding of the actual installation process regarding the mounting of the lights and the wiring. It's just the specifics of the interior of the cabin I am unsure of. Figure this will also be handy knowledge to have when I'm ready to install my Federal Signal Aerodynic light bar. Just need to finish the repair and update work on it and then I'll have that ready to roll when plowing.
Another thing you might want to think about is water leaking around the gaskets.Where the lights sit on. Same as sun visors.

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
I have put them on a few trucks for people.

You can buy a kit with template off places like eBay. The template never fits perfect but it helps ensure spacing is even and holes are correctly placed.

Drop headliner.
Tape down template
Drill holes.
Install lights. I usually use windshield urethane. It is messy but should never leak. Put it around the wire hole and both ***** holes.
***** lights down.
Clean up extra adhesive
Wire lights, run wire to a pillar.
Install headliner.
Another thing you might want to think about is water leaking around the gaskets.Where the lights sit on. Same as sun visors.

Ok, thanks. It sounds like there isn't any special I need to look for when disassembling the trim in the cabin, which is good. And thanks for the heads up on the template. I found two with different layout patterns on eBay, so I guess I just need to make a choice. I was also keeping leaks in mind already. I have some EPDM gasket material I was planing to use to seal up underneath, and I was planning to buy some silicone depending on what I noticed for potential leaks based upon whichever lighting set I purchase. I'm also planning to use rivet nuts and corrosion resistant hardware for mounting. I didn't like what I saw when I had to replace the bulbs in the clearance lights of my '87 F-250, the screws were so bad, I had to buy new hardware to put them back together. I also have in mind purchasing some grommets for the wire holes, again depending on the nature of whatever lights I buy. I figure I'd want something anyway because I don't trust the wires not to rub, but it they don't ground to the body, I figure a jacket over the wires would help snug against a grommet, and then a little silicone where the wires pass through will help seal it nicely.

Yo LEDZILLA!
Here is one to consider;
Bar, Cab Top Rally 4x4 Installation pics in a 96
Source: by Eric K (Marauder) at SuperMotors.net
See all at https://www.supermotors.net/clubs/superford/registry/3050/18587-2

I actually have a bar like that on hand I purchased for mounting my Aerodynic lights. Did a test fit and it hooks up really nice to the rain gutters. This is the light bar I'm planning on mounting once I finish getting it in shape:

Federal Signal Aerodynic 25 RWL Towman Wrecker lightbar

The rotating light assemblies are different than mine, but otherwise it's the same thing.

Reaction score
my 77 F250, i put a bunch of crap on the roof. use good sealant, windshield urethane is great stuff. clean surfaces, goop it on the underside too, on washers and nuts. minimize holes drilled. my truck is leaky AF from my negligence over the years, largely because of inferior sealant and installing too much stuff which needed holes. i got fog lights, two separate strobes, two mark/turn signals and air horns. basically i turned the cab into swiss cheese on my own behalf. less holes the better. try to just avoid doing that, or do it in a place where water intrusion will be minimal, do a light bar and run power up from elsewhere besides directly thru roof. that's my 2c.

Last edited:

johnnyreb

Reaction score
What you could do to avoid putting any more holes in the roof . Is get the things that hold ski,s or other things that are held on buy the rain rails on the SIDES of the roof. That is what I am gonna use.

johnnyreb

Reaction score
luggage rack tied downs---hit yard sales is a good place to ind them--they might just give them to you--once they use them.

OP
OP
ledzilla

ledzilla

Reaction score
my 77 F250, i put a bunch of crap on the roof. use good sealant, windshield urethane is great stuff. clean surfaces, goop it on the underside too, on washers and nuts. minimize holes drilled. my truck is leaky AF from my negligence over the years, largely because of inferior sealant and installing too much stuff which needed holes. i got fog lights, two separate strobes, two mark/turn signals and air horns. basically i turned the cab into swiss cheese on my own behalf. less holes the better. try to just avoid doing that, or do it in a place where water intrusion will be minimal, do a light bar and run power up from elsewhere besides directly thru roof. that's my 2c.
Yeah, I've been trying to think how to run the cable for amber light bar without drilling through the roof, but I can't think of anything other than making sure to use a rubber grommet with a little extra RTV. It was an easy concept with my pickup, I could just run it along the headache rack once it got installed and down between the bed and cab, but I don't have that option with a Bronco. I can guarantee, though, that leaks are a definite concern, and I do have a tendency to overengineer things, so I think I'll be OK on leaks.

What you could do to avoid putting any more holes in the roof . Is get the things that hold ski,s or other things that are held on buy the rain rails on the SIDES of the roof. That is what I am gonna use.
luggage rack tied downs---hit yard sales is a good place to ind them--they might just give them to you--once they use them.

The only things I'm planning to secure directly to the roof's sheet metal are the clearance lights. I have a light mount that secures to the roof gutters for installing my amber light bar assembly.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane