rebuilding a 351 windsor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
i was wondering how much it would cost to get my 351 Windsor rebuilt and or how much would a crate motor run me.

Rons beast

Reaction score
Florida..in my mind , sitting on the beach
That's a tough question to answer, with so many variables.  A rebuild could be less ...or more...depending on what type of rebuild you want, how many components are going to be reused, condition of your engine, etc.  The labor rate in your area is unknown also.

You may want to surf for crate prices ...just google "Crate 351"   Then search for engine rebuilders in your area and have a conversation with them.

Good Luck

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo broncoboyerusa,

Consider Ford Remanufactured Transmissions & Engines - Motorcraft® Brand, Broncos & all Ford

Halli wrote on 30 DEC 2010 that for a Ford Reman 5.8l long block it is 2308.00 exchange. 2210.00 for a 5.0; These are Ford dealer prices in the Mid-South Reman 5.0 = $1914.56

JR Nice wrote on 5 MAY 2012, Ford crate 5.0 H.O was about $1900. My local rebuild on my 5.8 was about $2300.

radiolotek wrote on 19 May 2012, $2300. For a complete assembly (1995 5.8)

http://www.fordinstallersupport.com/files/catalogs/ptm200.pdf (19MB pdf)

get some estimates from the; Distributors (listed in each Catalog above) & local & WWW Ford dealers;

=======

Here is latest RETAIL price from Ford Parts on-line; see if local dealer will discount.

http://www.fordparts.com/Commerce/CatalogResults.aspx?y=1990&m=Ford&mo=Bronco#Search

6V012

(LGB-175-RM)

Remanufactured Engine Complete Assembly

5.8L; EFI w/dipstick in block; Motorcraft Reman version

$2,506.67

Select a dealer for CURRENTprices & availability

-------------

Ford has a good guarantee and the Qual is up there. And the Ford reman trannys/engines do not need to be installed by a Ford DealerFord 3-Year/Unlimited-Mile Warranty – No Commercial Exceptions

"Ford remanufactured transmissions are covered by a 3-year/unlimited-mile warranty.*

All warranties are backed by Ford Motor Company and supported by more than 3,000 Ford and Lincoln Dealerships nationwide, or at originating place of service.

Plus, unlike those of some competitors, the warranty is good for fleet vehicles. That means you get the same advantages and coverage for commercial use, with no exceptions.

*See dealer for limited-warranty details.

See complete limited-warranty statement

http://www.fordparts.com/FileUploads...May%202013.pdf

Here is a C&P;

"LIMITED WARRANTY STATEMENT (FOR RETAIL SALES ON OR AFTER 9/1/2010) Ford and Motorcraft ® New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines

Ford Motor Company, The American Road, Dearborn, MI 48121 (“Ford”) provides the following Limited Warranty on Ford and Motorcraft ® New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines to Ford and Lincoln Dealers (each being a “Dealer”) or general Installers (each being an “Installer”). This Limited Warranty provides Ford will credit the Dealer or Installer for repairing or replacing, at Ford’s option, any Ford or Motorcraft ® Transmission or Gas Engine sold by Ford in the United States that is found to be defective in factory- supplied material or workmanship subject to the following terms, conditions and limitations:

Retail Customers: To obtain warranty service, please return your vehicle to any Ford or Lincoln Dealership or return to the Installer who originally installed the Ford or Motorcraft ® Gas Engine or Transmission Assembly in your vehicle. Please have your original dated receipt for purchase verification.

Gas Engine Long Block Assemblies (6006/6007/6V006/6V012) and Transmission Assemblies (7000/7V000/7002/7003)

• For 36 months from warranty start date (unlimited miles), Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates

• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under another towing insurance coverage

Short Blocks (6009/6V009), Cylinder Heads (6049/6V049), Camshafts (6250) and Crankshaft Kits (6303/6V303) for Gas Engines

• 12 months or 12,000 miles from warranty start date, whichever occurs first. Ford will cover 100% of all parts and labor at approved warranty reimbursement rates

• If installed by a Dealer, reasonable towing charges (up to 35 miles or to the nearest Dealer) are covered only if the vehicle is not covered under another towing insurance coverage

Warranty Start Date

• Ford and Motorcraft® New and Remanufactured Transmissions and Gas Engines installed by the Dealer or Installer — warranty begins on the date of sale from the Ford or Lincoln Dealership or Ford Motor Company’s Factory Authorized Powertrain Distributor

Limitations to the Warranty

The following limitation applies to the products covered by this Limited Warranty:

• Towing charges are not reimbursable for Ford and Motorcraft® Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the-counter by a Dealer or Installer

How to obtain Limited Warranty coverage for Ford and Motorcraft® Transmissions and Gas Engines sold over-the- counter by a Dealer or Installer:

This statement applies to over-the-counter customers of a Dealer or Installer, such as a retail customer or fleet customer. The Dealer or Installer can claim both parts and labor under the Limited Warranty if the retail customer, at his/her option,

• Returns the vehicle to the Installer (from which the assembly or component was purchased) or to any Dealer for repairs, or

• Returns the Ford or Motorcraft ® New or Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine to the Installer (from which the assembly or component was purchased) or to any Dealer for repairsNOTES:

This Limited Warranty may be honored by the original Installer or any Dealer (even though that particular Dealer was not the original purchaser/seller of the product) • In order for the Dealer or Installer to claim under the Limited Warranty, the Dealer, Installer or customer (whether original customer or subsequent transferee) must provide the original owner’s repair order or sales slip when repairs are requested

• Only new Ford Original Equipment, Ford Authorized Remanufactured, or other parts or assemblies authorized by Ford may be used to complete covered warranty repairs

Installer labor reimbursement is calculated using Ford Labor Times Standard hours multiplied by the selling Dealership’s warranty labor rate or the Installer’s actual labor total, whichever is less

• Diagnostic steps taken to determine cause of warrantied concern with diagnostic results must be clearly documented on Installer repair order. (Warranty parts and labor reimbursement requests must be supported by diagnostic labor steps and test results)

• All parts replaced under warranty must be returned to your selling Dealer

THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER FORD OR MOTORCRAFT ® REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS AND GAS ENGINES THAT FAIL DUE TO ABUSE, MISUSE, NEGLECT, ALTERATION, ACCIDENT, RACING, OR PARTS AND ACCESSORIES INSTALLED IN VEHICLES OTHER THAN THOSE LISTED IN FORD AUTHORIZED CATALOGS INCLUDING OTHER FORD MOTOR COMPANY BRANDS, OR THE USE OF NON-FORD PARTS, OR LACK OF PROPER MAINTENANCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER PARTS WHICH ARE REPLACED AS PART OF NORMAL MAINTENANCE. THIS LIMITED WARRANTY DOES NOT COVER REPEAT REPAIRS PERFORMED AS A RESULT OF A MISDIAGNOSIS OR IMPROPER PRIOR REPAIR. TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, LOSS OF TIME, INCONVENIENCE, LOSS OF THE USE OF THE VEHICLE, COMMERCIAL LOSS, AND INCIDENTAL AND CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES ARE NOT COVERED. THERE IS NO OTHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON THESE FORD AND MOTORCRAFT ® NEW AND REMANUFACTURED TRANSMISSIONS AND GAS ENGINES INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. TO THE EXTENT ALLOWED BY LAW, ANY IMPLIED WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY OR FITNESS IS LIMITED TO THE DURATION OF THIS WRITTEN LIMITED WARRANTY.

To retain the safety and dependability built into this product, it is essential that your Ford or Motorcraft ® Remanufactured Transmission or Gas Engine receives the scheduled maintenance at the recommended intervals contained in your vehicle Owner’s Manual/ Maintenance Schedule.

Rev. Date: 5/8/13"

======

For those who are looking for  a reman transmission;

Ford and Motorcraft Remanufactured Transmissions

Mark wrote on 19 SEP 2014 "I received a quote from Ford on a reman EO4D for $3100 installed ($2100 for the tranny, $1000 installation), however that was for an automatic with all the updates and a 3 year 35,000 mile warranty. They told me that I could have a tranny shop do it and it wouldn't void it. The tranny shop would be cheaper. I feel like if you find one in a JY, it's either gone or on its way there seeing as it's in a JY. Also, its harder to find a manual from the JYs that I have been in. When mine goes, I believe I will be going the ford route (then have a transmission shop install it). Its more expensive, but the piece of mind is worth it IMHO."

JOwens wrote on 9 JUL 14; "...I got a monster. I'm happy with it so far. But it took forever to get it. At least at the ford dealer they can have one the next day and it was only a couple hundred more...

My monster transmission/converter/cooler ended up being right at $2000 shipped. That also included freight to return the core and converter. If you live outside of Florida it might be a touch less since I had to pay sales tax.

Im pretty pleased with it so far, but I only have 200 miles on it. I will reserve judgement till I get 50,000 miles on it. But so far, so good. I got the heavy duty version they sell. They wont sell you the stock one if you have 31" or larger tires..."

Mikey350 wrote on 9 JUL 14; "...I  did some looking for a transmission for my '94, this is what I got as a part number when I got a quote from FordParts.com:

KIT - REMAN AUTOMATIC TRANSMIS  Part #: F2TZ7V000HRM  Price was $2,169.33

Core Deposit: $1,000.00   The quote was a year ago, so the price may have gone up (of course) - I didn't buy a transmission (yet). I seem to remember when I talked to my local dealer about installing it, they wanted about $1100 If you Google the part number, there is one at a Texas dealer cheaper than the above quote,

http://www.lonestarfordparts.com/oe-ford/f2tz7v000hrm

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B
Reaction score
thanks yalls those help alot.  but some more info on my engine is it has around 320,203 miles and is gonna need a complete rebuild from pistons to values and rockers and injectors, timing belt and everything else. but my trans is completely rebuilt by a professional and really need to keep it.  

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23