rebuilding power window motor gear box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mikefamig

Reaction score
Like the title says I'm rebuilding the power window motor gearbox in my 89. I bought a kit at NAPA and it came with a black grease but there is very little grease in there. When I took the motor apart the gearbox was full of grease and the kit has only enough to put a film over the parts. In my experience it would be best to load it up.

So my question is: what is the correct grease to use in there with the plastic gear? I know that petroleum based grease degrades most plastics. Lithium seems like a possibility or better yet maybe some synthetic "superlube".

Does anyone here know what knd of lubricant is best here?

GEEZ, the word L U B E gets censored here.

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Don’t want to annoy the censors now do we?
I’ve had good luck with lubriplate.
My go to when Im uncertain is CV joint grease. Stays relatively fluid in cold weather.
Hope that helps.
Cheers

Motech

Reaction score
I've shot dielectric grease in there many times. It's sticky, silicone based and not as messy as lithium or moly based products.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
I ended up using superlube. Claims to be compatible with most other lubricants and harmless to almost all plastics. It is dialectric.

OP
OP
mikefamig

mikefamig

Reaction score
Now I have taken the electrical end of the motor apart and the Brushes are badly worn. Any advice on where to find the correct brushes or a new and plate? Are these carbon or metal brushes?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane