engine rebuild or fix oil leak for now on a 1996 5.8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rusty scuppers

Reaction score
I wonder about the cost difference between having the oil pan leak fixed now or just rebuild the engine. My engine has 240000 on it and is a roller cam model which appeals to me, but seem to run into a lack of people that are capable of rebuilding it, even a ford dealer said it can't be done Do I live in the wrong country? I live in Kent Washington.

Tiha

Staff member
Reaction score
That is actually a pretty common response to an engine that old. I am sure there are local machine shops that would take on the job.

It is hard to compete with the large companies that rebuild them in bulk. Dropping in a Reman with warranty is cheaper and easier than keeping a tech on the line capable of rebuilding a 25 year old engine correctly.
For the one off guys like us, getting good quality replacement parts is actually difficult.

Wishmeluck

Reaction score
I took my 351w from my 84' to a machine shop here in Olympia, WA. Great group and considering I had limited knowledge on rebuilding engines they worked/talked with me on everything. Walked me through the entire shop, explained options to me, answered questions....amazing guys and really love what they do. FYItThey dont take credit though, if memory serves they're cash only.

OP
OP
R

rusty scuppers

Reaction score
A big thank you for that recommendation, I was hoping for something like that. Olympia is a little far from me, but it is the only one since I haven't found one closer yet. I'll just make sure I have plenty of oil in it to make sure I don't break down on the way there.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo