whats your average bronco II gas mileage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jaminjimlp

Reaction score
I have an 89 Bronco II 2.9 auto tranz w/od 2 wheel drive and drive pretty conservatively and get about 18 mpg city and hwy with or without a/c on it may very 1 mpg or so.

I am asking this to see if this is good or bad.

Also what was the estimate that was given by ford if someone knows that?

A guy at the auto parts place that was there at the same time i was told me he got 28 mpg but i find it hard to believe.

thanks in advance too all, Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

CraigK

Reaction score
jaminjim

I'm currently getting 15.0 Miles / USG. (That's not an estimate, it's from exact calculations based on tippy-top fill-up to tippy-top fill-up over several recent 500-1000 mile intervals, with every drop of fuel and every mile driven carefully recorded.)

I have an '87 BII, 2.9L 4WD with AT. The past few thousand miles over which this mileage was obtained was mostly shorter trips (1-10 miles), and is with my O2 sensor disconnected. I expect mileage to improve to the 18-22 MPG range with longer drives, and with installation of a new O2 sensor (just haven't put it in yet). Also, I have a significant exhaust leak at the joint where the exhaust manifild joins to the exhaust pipe, which is probably impacting fuel mix. I use double platinum plugs, keep the engine well tuned, and use Mobil-1 synthetic oil only.

I think a good part of the problem with poor mileage is the automatic transmission. The tranny in my BII had already been replaced before I bought it, and although I've had it "checked out" and it's supposed to be A-OK, there is about a 800-1000 instant engine rpm difference between when load low driving, and when the gas pedal is depressed and load increases. This just seems like too much revs difference to me.

CraigK

WYJim

Reaction score
'89, manual, 2.9, 4X4. I commute 60 miles RT daily, 85% highway. I am getting 22-23 mpg. I recently put on new all-terrain tires and my bald ones before had me at 23-24 mpg. In 4wd (for deep fun snowy commutes, slower speeds) I get around 16-17 mpg.

iamjerry

Reaction score
'89, manual, 2.9, 4X4. I commute 60 miles RT daily, 85% highway. I am getting 22-23 mpg. I recently put on new all-terrain tires and my bald ones before had me at 23-24 mpg. In 4wd (for deep fun snowy commutes, slower speeds) I get around 16-17 mpg.

21 MPG with Accell ignition system, K&N air filter, Whirl Wind in air intake hose, and high performance muffler at 8500 ft elevation. Alot to gain 3 or 4 mpg.

SunSpot

Reaction score
Milage will mostly depend on the gear ratio you have on the axles, and whether you have auto or std tranny, and how heavy yer foot is. :-" automatics traditionally get 2-3 mpg less than a std tranny.

I have a 88 B2 2.9 4x4 A4LD auto with 3:73 front/rear gear ratios. When Vehicle was totally stock with O2 sensor new and running good it got 17 around town and 20 hwy. Motor was old and tired (like me)

I put in a remanufactured engine, added electric fan, Mallory coil, headers, free flow Cat & turbo muffler, 2-1/4 exh pipe to rear, removed the hot air vacuum unit (between the air box and radiator support) and a K/N air filter in the stock box. Now it gets 19-20 aound town and 24 hwy. If I were to change the Axle ratios to 3:55 (expensive) it might get 26-28 hwy.

As iamjerry said.... alot of effort & $$ for a small gain.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane