Want More Horses For My Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncodale

Reaction score
I own an 87 Bronco, and added a throttle body spacer to it. Mostly I noticed a couple more miles per gallon, but that's about it. I tried looking for another type of air box, even a cone so I could get more air into my motor but, I came up with nothing. This is my first Bronco and would appreciate any suggestions you guys would have.

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
the air box can easily be made, look at lie K&N aftermarket boxes for Bronco/trucks with a 302 or 351W because like the 96's use the same style boxes but has a MAF sencor place in the tubes. just do some moding on the tubes to setup with your system. headers with a good flowing Y-pipe and free flowing muffler like flowmaster will free up some HP. also pulling the stock fan/clutch and adding ele. fans will free up some. scan down these post for some ideas on bolt on's and swaps to add some HP.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showforum=3

Last edited by a moderator:

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
start with a complete tune up,plugs,wires,cap&rotor,fuel filter,air cleaner,pcv vavle,ox sensor,wires,whatever you get the point.there is no use putting on parts if it isn't in tip top shape.

I agree to start with the exhaust don't over **** it and run 2 1/2 inch duals it won't have enuff back pressure and it will run like ca-ca.

DO NOT take off any of the computer controlled emissions systems,they are designed to keep your motor running effiwhateverly just don't take them off.

I know you don't want to hear this but you are not gonna get any power from the 2.8 or 2.9,go ahead and cuss me but it ain't there.try spending your money on a set of gears.you may only have 150hp but with 4.56's it'll seem like 250.

I know many people think more power is better but a good running engine and some good gears will make you and your pocket alot happier.

if all else fails go with a v-8

good luck

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
sorry about the last post my brain ain't where it's supposed to be,throw a set of 1.7 roller rockers on it,headers and duals,maybe a cam???(dual pattern),chip,underdrive pulleys(might affect cooling and charging)160 thermostat,

shift kit in trans is always nice,351w 4bbl heads(have them milled to get good comp ratio)when that all still don't make you happy i say try some gears

Gunner

Reaction score
nice recovery highboy i was about to jump all over that. i have the 2.5 true dual exhaust and i dont run like ca-ca. just through two high flow cats on the end of the headers and you will be straight. the gears is a good thing especially if you have big tires. but like i siad in a past post about more torque. the fastest way to gain more horse power and torque is to spend $2500 on a super charger. i dont have one myself because i have a carberator and the only super charger i can seem to find is for an EFI engine. but believe me if i can find one for a carbbed engine i will jump all over that shee-at. but to bypass that whole pcv breather get your self the edelbrock valve cover and the oil cap itself acts like a pcv filter so you can do away with the hose going into your oil cap and air box or in my case air cleaner. but camshaft, rocker arms, pushrods, valves, valve springs, pistons and rods will all get you alot of that good ol' HP we all love just be ready to spend some moolah on all those pieces seperately. now you can find some kits for cheaper you just have to google it for engine rebuild kits for your size engine. i know for a fact that there are alot for the 302 becasue i have found many myself.

amcabbott

Reaction score
clap.gif
/biggrin.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':D' /><' /> A mild street cam would help. or try this I used this on my f150 95 302 and dialed in noticeable power increase and 4-5 mpg. here,s how it works.all fuel injection engines use a air charge temp. sensor these are a 2 wire sensor mounted in the air intake housing. what they do is act like a choke more or less. you may have noticed when your truck is cold how much better it runs. this is because it is running in open loop (the computer is bypassing all emission's sensors) by unplugging and adding a resister between the 2 wires you trick the computer into thinking its still cold. I used an ordinary house dimmer switch so I could adjust the resistance and see where the truck ran the best (adjust after the truck is hot)you could just try some resisters as there dirt cheep at any electronic store. also remember that your truck will not pass a smog test unless you re plug in the sensor before the smog test. this same trick can be done with the oxygen sensor also and get the same results

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
thanks for not jumping on me,but like i said some chrome vavle covers and a crap load of stickers in the window and one flowmaster and you should be set.

for real getting it running good first then listen to half of what we say and well we are probably wrong about the rest anyway

GUNNER,have you ever seen the old t type buicks with 4bbl and turbo?

Raven

Reaction score
talking to a buddy of mine that is a ford tech about quick eask HP boost on my 94 bronc and he said the collent line that runs into the TB dis connect it from the TB and hook the 2 ends together soit still make its loop. and to change the base timing from 10 degree to 13 degree and it should add about 20 HP

Gunner

Reaction score
ummmm no i have never heard of that but that sounds like an incrediblt hard thing to do. i have never seen a turbo hooked up in a carbbed vehicle before but hey i am new to this. i would imagine it would be possible to do because the turbo hooks into the exhaust manifold but it would probably be incredibly hard to keep tuned. but why do you ask?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23