tow hooks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joshmccln

Reaction score
i been looking around at how everyone was mounting their tow hooks for example frog man but a buddy of mine ended up having part of his frame being pulled for so now his truck rides crooked down the road i was looking for some suggestions on how some of yall have put them on and how they have held up...there will be some snatching done if i can find a safe place for them just to keep that in mind thanks for any suggestions

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Everyone mounts them on the frame, because that it where you have to mount them.

The problem of twisting the frame is from pulling or getting pulled from only one hook.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Josh & JOE!

Josh, you're one on many, mnay Bronco owners tht have stated (admitted) that they or someone they knew had a prob w/tow hooks on the crumple zone. Most tow operators will Not tow anyone or pull anyone using hooks in that zone.

Here is a possible solution tho;

Installation in 92-96; "...These were pretty easy to build using angle iron, and they're easy to install. Also, they don't interfere with the crumple zones. I haven't tested them yet, but I think they'll be plenty strong. And if they're ever removed, the tabs in the plastic valance will fold shut. The recovery eyes mount to 3 parts, one of which has no welding or bending. They attach using only their factory fasteners, & those on the truck. And they don't interfere with the crumple zones or airbag system. Plus; the tops of the brackets are light tabs..."

Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at Ford Bronco Zone Forums http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=19190

OP
OP
joshmccln

joshmccln

Reaction score
hey miesk5 looked at that post im not sure where he had them mounted but it looks like he had some angle iron bolted to the crumple zone and then the eyes bolted to the angle iron looks nice but im just out for somthing that will hold up to being snatched on every now and then. wish i knew how he had that done though

OP
OP
joshmccln

joshmccln

Reaction score
aright thanks alot yea its a pain not having anything to tie on to up there i had to tie up behind the bumper mount the other day luckly i wasn't stuck too bad

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Steve said that he hasn't finished the final design yet, but said "they're not complicated".

He may build some and market them.

and he was suspended from posting here. Like I was from FTE ... (owner said "others said" I was promoting my site by having it in my signature)

So, hang in there or think about that design and try it yourself. As you know, from what you wrote, as long as the c zone isn't touched...but doesn't a piece of anything solid like tow points, sticking out in front of the c zone and attached behind the c zone defeating the purpose of the c zone's design intent?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
joshmccln

joshmccln

Reaction score
well what i was thinking like i said earlier was about bolting-welding a piece of angle iron in front of the c zone all the way across and then mount the tow hooks on to that because if broncojoe is right about the frame gettin all out of shape because of being pulled on from just one side then having the sides connected would solve the problem but then i would have to worry about the air bag's im not sure yet i might try it out here in the next week or two an ill let yall know how it goes

wileec

Reaction score
Not sure what year you have. But this was my solution on my 95

winch5.jpg

I was planning on putting the bumper back on

imgp1335.jpg

But have gotten used to it like this. Much better approach angle.

winch2.jpg

I think it would take one **** of a stuck to twist the frame.

OP
OP
joshmccln

joshmccln

Reaction score
well i have a 96 but im thinking of doing a setup similar to that with the angle iron but im thinking of puttin the hooks on the bottom of the angle iron... so many choices im just out for looks and performance....you ever had any problems with the air bags by having them shackles on the c-zone?

wileec

Reaction score
They are bolted in front of the crumple zone. I try not to need the airbag (only 1 in the Bronco), but with where everything is bolted should not be an issue, I hope.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
I would just run heavy link chains and bolt em past the crumple zone on the frame. Cut out some good ol holes in the front bumper, and there ya go.. pulling pressure on boxed steel..not crumple zone.

To make the holes/chains comming out of the bumper look nicer, put a black rubber with a slit in it. This way the chain can move around a little, and you won't have a huge hole to look at. For reinforcment on the hole, because odds are that chain pull will be up/down/left/right when cutting the hole, drill a hole in the center, then diagnal cuts to each corner of your retangle hole. Bend the bumper peices back to reinforce the edges.

A lot of work..but deff something I've never seen done before....

wileec

Reaction score
I would just run heavy link chains and bolt em past the crumple zone on the frame. Cut out some good ol holes in the front bumper, and there ya go.. pulling pressure on boxed steel..not crumple zone.

To make the holes/chains comming out of the bumper look nicer, put a black rubber with a slit in it. This way the chain can move around a little, and you won't have a huge hole to look at. For reinforcment on the hole, because odds are that chain pull will be up/down/left/right when cutting the hole, drill a hole in the center, then diagnal cuts to each corner of your retangle hole. Bend the bumper peices back to reinforce the edges.

A lot of work..but deff something I've never seen done before....
I would NEVER use chain for serious recovery. The end of my frame is boxed and I am sure I will be hard pressed to mess up the crumpled part.

wileec did u have someone fabricate them pieces you have the shackles on?
Nope just a 1"X2"X12" chunk of steel cut in half and drilled. If I had to make new ones I would get them a bit longer they do not stick out in front of the bumper enough. It would be better with 14-16" with the extra stuck into the frame further.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Depends what size/strength chain you're using. I'm not talking that crap you get at the ace hardware lol

OP
OP
joshmccln

joshmccln

Reaction score
o i know what your talkin about adam i was raised workin on a shrimp boat we got plenty of that 1 1/2" chain but when it comes down to snatching i rather not even the biggest break sooner or later and chain that big flyin back at you aint gonna be a pretty sight

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Okay how about synthetic line? The stuff you'd use on a winch.. that would be perfect yeah?

Better yet.. just do what Wileec did..only make that add on he did (the bar bolted inside his frame) go back two feet past the crumple zone. Then you got two feet of that stuff bolted to the frame. It's like trying to break two toothpicks at one time - Not nearly as easy to do

wileec

Reaction score
What would be the point of the crumple zone than? It serves a purpose in absorbing some of the energy in a head on impact. Personally I would not want to loose that little piece of safety.

I am not sure what you are attaching synthetic line to? It can not rub on sharp edges at all or it is worthless.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
What would be the point of the crumple zone than? It serves a purpose in absorbing some of the energy in a head on impact. Personally I would not want to loose that little piece of safety.

I am not sure what you are attaching synthetic line to? It can not rub on sharp edges at all or it is worthless.
Eh the Bronco is a tank. So it wouldn't apply to me..

and you can do a simular or just add rollers where the synthetic line comes out of the bumper. No different then coming out a winch..

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke