tire rack

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jgarza

Reaction score
i have an 89 bronco with no rear tire rack on the back....i was wondering if anyone knows a place to get roof racks...i would like to mount my spare tire on top....what is the biggest tire you can fit in the tire rack that most broncos have

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
I believe most people who have roof racks have had to build it themselves. I have seen a writeup on another site, but can't remember which one. About the largest tire you can fit on standard inside rack is a 31. Not sure about the outside rack.

Good luck,

:)>-

dozer59044

Reaction score
I believe most people who have roof racks have had to build it themselves.  I have seen a writeup on another site, but can't remember which one.  About the largest tire you can fit on standard inside rack is a 31.  Not sure about the outside rack.
Good luck,

33231[/snapback]

:) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Ive got a 33" mounted on my inside rack. But thats as big as it will fit.

touches back of and tailgate. B)

sandmann999

Abandoned Bronco
Reaction score
I believe most people who have roof racks have had to build it themselves.  I have seen a writeup on another site, but can't remember which one.  About the largest tire you can fit on standard inside rack is a 31.  Not sure about the outside rack.
Good luck,

33231[/snapback]

There really isn't a size restriction on the outside rack. I saw a Bronco once that had a 36" spare hanging off of the back. Looked a little odd, but it fit!

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
Outside tire rack you need to worry about weight more than anything, specifically if your tailgate is rusty like mine. >

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
i have an 89 bronco with no rear tire rack on the back....i was wondering if anyone knows a place to get roof racks...i would like to mount my spare tire on top....what is the biggest tire you can fit in the tire rack that most broncos have
33227[/snapback]

If your Bronco is not equipped with a factory external spare tire rack, you are limited on the size you can mount to the internal one on the passngr-side rear wheelwell to a 32x11.50 (some 33x12.50's may also fit). I have seen some Broncos with a roof rack by CONN-FERR that mounts to the hardtop, and you can secure a larger spare tire up there. The problem is that a 35" or larger tire and rim can weigh 80-100 lbs., and you need some muscle to lift them up or pull them off of the top of your Bronco.

The external mount has supports inside the right rear quarter panel to handle the stress of the spare tire and rim, so you should not merely bolt up a rack to the panel if it is not made to handle one. I also have seen a 35" or 36" tire mounted to the stock mount, but have also seen many of those do some serious damage to the panel when offroading.

My solution with my 35's was to totally remove the external mount, and bolt my spare tire to the floor to the rear bench seat anchor in the middle. If you want to keep the rear seat, look into an aftermarket, bumper-mounted spare tire carrier. You not only get a heavy-duty rear bumper, but also get a good mounting system for your spare tire.

Juice52

Reaction score
I have a wilderness accessories rack and It could fit 37 or bigger on it I would think. Not sure I would want all that weight unless you had a minimal lift though. I have had one of my 35s up there with plenty of extra room. It mounts to rain gutter brackets that you have to install, and seems to hold a lot of weight , I have had it loaded down with my high-lift and a couple of tires before with no problem. Did knock off on a tree while trail riding once, so I am in the process of building an exo-cage and I am going to mount it to that, so it should stay on better then. Check out http://www.garvin-industries.com/ to get more info.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23