time for a tranny rebuild??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89purple horse

Reaction score
got some info at a tranny shop and looking to confirm. i have a 89 c6 in my bronco and i recently put in a shift kit (street/strip) got it all put back together and jumped in for a test drive and thats were it all went wrong. now it is stack shifting (go a hundred yards and the tranny is in third gear) and slips going in to third.

ok lets start with the stack shifting. i was told at the tranny shop that it was vaccum that was the problem so i went and got a adjustable vaccum modulator and and put it in at the stock setting and it helped but didnt solve the problem so i put about 2 more turns into it once again it helped but didnt solve put one more turn in it same results still there but better. this problem may as well be rocket sciences cause all i can do is scrath my head and say ummmmmm. a buddy thinks it maybe the governor. sound right to anyone????

now the sliping problem. i thought maybe the bands needed to be adjusted but was told by the tranny guy that on fords the band adjustment is only for second gear and there is no adjustment for 3rd then he quickly proceeded to say the clutch pack r going out then offered to make me a deal to do it. im not buying it but like i say im not a tranny guy so may as well be rocket science. if anyone can help i would really apreciate it and thanks again to everyone that has gave me awesome info. oh yea and if it helps if u let off a little bit before shifting to 3rd it goes in fine but if u keep your foot in it, it slips

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
yo 89PH!

I'd ck the vac line to da modulator for a leak,,

Some info by JGVABronco78

A high vacuum signal(via the modulator) positions the governor body in a somewhat normal positon telling the tranny to upshift at the governors normal speed input due to lessened load.

A low vacuum signal at the governor body(via the modulator) delays the upshift by telling the tranny that the engine load is higher than normal.

The throttle valve, whether acuated by a lever or cable, is hooked to, and manipulates the governor body in the exact same manner as the modulator, but is adjusted so that it only transmits a full-throttle position. In the the exact same way the modulator can delay an upshift, so does the throttle valve, but its primary function is to signal the tranny to down shift when full throttle is attained to avoid the tranny from becomeing torque-bound due to the sudden acceleartion from the engine prior to the modulator reacting to the loss of manifold vacuum. The vacuum modulator, when hooked up, leak-free, and adjusted properly, will dictate proper upshifts and down shifts in any gear based on speed(governor valve position) and engine load(governor body position) w/o any input from the throttle valve. A minor delay in full-throttle downshifts may be noticeable w/o the TV input, but in most driving situations that is not of great consequence. When utilized and adjusted properly, in a like manner, the TV can delay the upshift or hasten the downshift of any gear in the exact same manner as the modulator, but done soley by throttle position alone. In case you didn't catch this already, the TV and VM manipulate the exact same device, the governor body, as it is related to the governor valve(which is positioned by the flyweights on the governor by speed of output). The modulator does this by means of a vacuum diaphram, and the TV does this by means of a physical rod connected to the governor body internally. You can operate the tranny almost normally w/o the TV being actuated as its function is rather limited, but you cannot operate the tranny in auto w/o a good VM or it will not shift properly. The activity through the governor valve and body are then routed back to the valve body to effect shifts accordingly. As stated earlier, the C6, almost exclusively, is a manual shift valve body in 1 and 2. First is first, and second is second. It is only an auto in "D"(drive)..."

Shift Linkage Parts Break-Out Diagram in an 88 with nomenclature

Source: by Dustin S (Dustball, Mellow Yellow, Mr. Laser Boy) at ylobronc.users.superford.org http://ylobronc.users.superford.org/documents/linkage3.gif

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Forgot to ask, what shift kit do you install?

and, I tend to iggie basic checks at times; such as fluid level; when at norm op temp; after running thru all gears & reverse, and fluid condition; no burnt toast, whitish (water) deposits on dip stick & filter condition.... since I see you and others are good at doing that stuff before asking.

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
Forgot to ask, what shift kit do you install?

and, I tend to iggie basic checks at times; such as fluid level; when at norm op temp; after running thru all gears & reverse, and fluid condition; no burnt toast, whitish (water) deposits on dip stick & filter condition.... since I see you and others are good at doing that stuff before asking.
the kit is a b&m shift improver kit with 2 stages. i picked stage 2 street and strip order from summit racing part number 40262. the fluid is clean and fresh with new filter was put in while i did the kit and is full checked after a 30 min cruise to town and back. when i installed the vm i noticed the vaccum house slid of real easy so i snipped the end off and it fit much tighter soo as soon as the snow clears off i will pull the whole line out and inspect it closer. thanks again so much for all the help

Last edited by a moderator:

shift1313

Reaction score
C6exp_diagram.gif

C6_cut_view.gif

Did your shift kit come with instructions on modding the gasket, opening passage sizes or removing any parts such as a ball bearing?

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
i had to remove 2 check balls but were put back in same place and i had to remove the cut back valve and place a 1/4 steel ball in valve bore and replace the valve. but they did not say anything about about opening up valve sizes i did have to enlarge one hole on the seperator plate for the street/strip option and it di not say anything about do anything to gaskets except how to install them

OP
OP
89purple horse

89purple horse

Reaction score
well guys still no luck on the tranny issue. any more ideas fella's??. i think its about time to break down and take it in lol thanks all :( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23