Tailgate Latch Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Smallp

Reaction score
I need a new set of tailgate latches for my '78 or a way to repair them. Any advice would be appreciated.

broncoshell

Reaction score
WELCOME TO THE ZONE!!!! YOU NEED TO CHECK WWW.BRONCOGRAVEYARD.COM THERE YOU WILL FIND EVERYTHING YOU NEED AT A GOOD PRICE... GOOD LUCK!!!

BigNasty

SquirrelBait
Reaction score
I have an 82 bronco that recently had an issue with opening..

The latch system in it uses nylon rod bushings in the mechanism. Over time, nylon becomes brittle and chips away or just falls completely apart, making the play in the latches themselves excessive enough so that the gate will not open.

Its an easy and cheap fix if that's what is happening with yours.

OP
OP
S

Smallp

Reaction score
Just heard back from JBG and no good, the latches are no longer available. The problem with mine is that the hole for the pivot point in the right side latch has wallowed out and the jaws are loose plus both sides appear to have some wear that has increased the clearance so niether side "grips" the striker like they should. Thanks for the advice and keep it coming if any of you are\have experienced the same issue.

Has anybody modified later model latches for the earlier model Bronco?

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948