Suggestions For Dana 44 Ttb, Please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wliebhard

Reaction score
I need advice from all you Bronco Maniacs out there! I have an '85 Fullsize that is equipped with a 9" Auburn LTD slip rear, 3.50:1 gears and 31 spline axles. I'm happy with it, but would like a traction aid for the front Dana 44 TTB. I do not want to go to a solid axle. ($$$) Any suggestions, experience? ARB, Detroit, let me know, I NEED ADVICE! Thanks, everyone!!

OP
OP
W

Wliebhard

Reaction score
Sorry, I forgot--I'm currently running 31x10.5 MTs, and am probably going go with a 33" MT

****I need advice from all you Bronco Maniacs out there! I have an '85 Fullsize that is equipped with a 9" Auburn LTD slip rear, 3.50:1 gears and 31 spline axles. I'm happy with it, but would like a traction aid for the front Dana 44 TTB. I do not want to go to a solid axle. ($$$) Any suggestions, experience? ARB, Detroit, let me know, I NEED ADVICE! Thanks, everyone!! ***

cryptonik420

[SoP]BigSix4.9L
Reaction score
I have a Detroit True Trac up front in my TTB44. Pretty much if it works with a Dana 44 it will work with the TTB 44. Same carrier and innards. Well, that's what I have been told anyway.

dblue351

Reaction score
Ya if all you are going to run are 33's then I would go with the tru trac. Anything over a 35 I would not get it though.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
I used a trac lock (stock limited slip for D44) for years which did OK.

On the nasty stuff a tire would still slip. The I got a detroit Locker, no problems except breaking axles. But it could have soemthing to do with the 38's...

33" and below use a Detroit Tru Trac. Above 33" use Detriot Locker.

Air lockers and OX lockers are nice if you have the cash, plus it makes it easier to steer when you need it.

I've heard that the Lock Right's are loud and weak so stay away from them.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The following info is from a 21 page article written by Jim McGean of Dynatrac entitled, "4-Wheelers Guide to Axle Swapping and Building"

Just a comment from Dynatrac in reference to the Dana 44 and breaking axles:

" The "Dana 44 is great for a Jeep, but if you own a full size truck, or Blazer that has a Dana 44 up front with big tires, you already know, that it just isn't strong enough. If you aren't breaking axle shafts, you are probably having spider gear or ring and pinion failures. sorry, there isn't much you can do to remedy this situation except upgrade to a Dana 60. The Dana 60 will solve your problems".

Also, Dyantrac has this to say about lockers: "lockers provide differential action different from posi or open diff. For this reason they are not recommended for front axle use. Lockers can seriously affect steering and handling and are not for everyone. although many serious rock crawlers demand lockers in the front and rear, only the very experienced and cautious should be encouraged to put a locker up front. If you plan to move slowly over very severe terrain then a locker is great, if you plan to drive on snow covered roads, or dirt roads at moderate to high speed then think twice before choosing the locker.

For better traction Dynatrac suggests a posi device with the following comments: "The main drawback to posi units is that they can only overcome a certain amount of traction difference between the 2 wheels. For example if we had one tire on ice and one on dry pavement the posi would probably get us moving. But, if the truck was pointing up a sharp hill or the tires were in a small rut we would remain stuck. the reason is that even with power applied, the clutches would probably slip before the wheel on pavement would begin to turn".

They also warn that a posi in good condition will likely cause the vehicle to fishtail and slide to the outside of a turn on very slippery surfaces like snow or ice, so use caution under these conditions.

Just some food for thought when you change wheel size and go for some changes.

to the type of diferential up front.

Good luck,

:)>-

cryptonik420

[SoP]BigSix4.9L
Reaction score
No problem bud.

I can definitely tell that there is a difference between open and the tru trac. Mud holes are a lot easier to forge now and traction has been increased.

I don't really have to worry too much about ice and snow here in TN, but there are times when I'll have to watch out a little bit.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke