Gears for 9" and dana 44

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Low_Ridah

Reaction score
I have a 78 bronco with a 9" rear end and a dana 44 front end. I would like to put new gears in it to turn my 33's better. I was wondering if there was anything I should know before purchasing a set of gears? I am assuming I need the reverse rotation set for the 44 since it faces backwards? Will 4.56's for fine in both axles? Thanks.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
if you are planning on doing alot of highway driving and not going any larger then 33" tires you should be more then fine with 3:73's

it's expensive to regear though, and if this is something that you are seriously wanting to, maybe consider running larger tires, such as a 35" tire and going up to 4:10 gears. that way if down the road you decide to go even larger with 37s you won't have to regear again

OP
OP
L

Low_Ridah

Reaction score
I am thinking about going to 35's later on down the road which of course means I more then likely will.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
i would say 4:10's though. just be aware that with 33's and 4:10's you'll be a little sluggish on the hiway

OP
OP
L

Low_Ridah

Reaction score
By high way do you mean 65-75 or more 50-60? I am not sure what is in there now, but I think I have 3.50s in because it seems pretty doggish but if I am off-road in 4L I have a lot more torque. But there are no fitment issues with 4.56s or 4.10s in the 9" or dana 44? Thanks again for the help.

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
you can put 4:10's into the 44 without having to replace the carrier, but in order to put in the 4:56's you will have to replace the carrier on the dana 44 (sorry for the previous typo)

and ya hiway speeds is anything much past 80km/h. the truck will rev very high with too low of gearing and not enough tire to make up for it. and remember that putting the truck in 4lo when wheeling has alot to do with your transfer case gearing. not just the gearing in your diffs

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
L

Low_Ridah

Reaction score
I was told the exact opposite that I needed a new carrier for the dana 44 but not for the 9" I am officially confused :eek: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Miss Kitten

Reaction score
oh my gosh i'm so sorry that was typo on my part

the 9" is fine

that should say 44 all the way around :S

my sincerest appologies

OP
OP
L

Low_Ridah

Reaction score
Alright not a problem, I just want to get my facts straight. I think I am going to be 600 dollars poorer soon lol. One more quick question I can't seem to figure out how to turn on my W/S washers. I have tried pulling and turning every **** on the truck. I am assuming they are broken but I am not sure what I have to do to turn them on. Thanks again.

Wow I've been on this forum for 2 1/2 years and this is my first topic.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane