Still Running lean

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bronco Billy R

Reaction score
Hey guys, I need your help, BAD! I have a 1996 XLT Bronco with a 5.8 engine. She has around 161,000 miles on her. When I bought it, about a year ago, I just had to have dual exhaust on it. My mistake was removing the cats, I think all my problems start here. The place that installed my duals did a great job on the pipes, however, they cut the pipe from my EGR valve to my manifold. Wielded the manifold hole closed and left the pipe from the EGR open. I don't understand why this was done, so if you have an explanation, let me know. I don't know if this is even a problem or not. I have replaced the O2 sensors and even got an eliminator with the resistor to go on the sensor where the cats were. I still have the CEL, P0171 and P0174. I thought I might have a vacuum leak, so I did a smoke test and found the smoke coming from beneath the throttle body. ( I have a video of this I can add if you think it will help ). Not knowing much about the EGR, I am wondering if this could be the problem or even causing the smoke leak during the test.
Further information, I have had to replace the ignition control module twice in the last 6 weeks. I am sure this has nothing to do with any of this, just letting you know everything I have done. I am even thinking about installing some high flow cats, if that would help.
Thanks in advance.
Billy

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds like the EGR is disconnected at this point. You should block off the port at this point to see if things get better. I did mine with 2 pieces of silver tape and reinstalled the EGR on top the tape.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar