Steering ?'s

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gettin there

Reaction score
We have installed a 3 1/2 '' lift with new tie rods and just added power steering to our 1970 Bronco. The steering still has a tendency to bump steer. I really thought the power steering would take care of this. We have checked the alighnment and all looks good. Other than the bump steer the power steering is awsome.

Has anyone else experienced this and is there an adjustment don't know about.

Thanks!

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Call the fellas at WH. They are really good at helping you out with problems. I can't give you a good problem solver because I have been fortunate enough to have never had bump steer in any of my EBs. But definatly give the guys at WH or even Chuck at BC Broncos a call. They will help you out.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
Call the fellas at WH. They are really good at helping you out with problems. I can't give you a good problem solver because I have been fortunate enough to have never had bump steer in any of my EBs. But definatly give the guys at WH or even Chuck at BC Broncos a call. They will help you out.

Good Idea. I never thought to call them.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TX '73

Reaction score
Just curious.......did it bump steer before you put the lift and tie rod on???

I also put on a WH 3.5" sus lift and it came with a drop pitman arm and new bushings for the track bar. Mine didn't need a new tie rod but I assume yours was bumpsteering and that's why you replaced the tie rod??? I wonder if your steering stabilizer is shot???

STLKIKN

Reaction score
The most likely cause for bumpsteer is having the track bar and the draglink out of parrallel with each other.

In an ideal situation they run at very close to the same angle.

The first pic has 5.5" of lift with tie rod over, a track bar drop and a riser at the dif.

The second pic has 1.5" of lift and no other mods. Neither truck has bump steer.

yellows_steering.jpg

blues_steering.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
Just curious.......did it bump steer before you put the lift and tie rod on???
I also put on a WH 3.5" sus lift and it came with a drop pitman arm and new bushings for the track bar. Mine didn't need a new tie rod but I assume yours was bumpsteering and that's why you replaced the tie rod??? I wonder if your steering stabilizer is shot???

The stablizer shock was included with the lift kit. Considering how bad it drove prior to adding the lift, powersteering, and tie rod,

I should be happy.

Thanks!

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
The most likely cause for bumpsteer is having the track bar and the draglink out of parrallel with each other.In an ideal situation they run at very close to the same angle.

The first pic has 5.5" of lift with tie rod over, a track bar drop and a riser at the dif.

The second pic has 1.5" of lift and no other mods. Neither truck has bump steer.
Thanks for the pictures. I hope to have time tonight to see how my front end compares to the two youv'e sent.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
No problem, but since you mentioned that you had poor handling before the lift went in, here is a check list for you to go through on your truck...

" sloppy " steering can be caused by a multitude of problems...

some are cheap fixes, some can become costly...

This is a list of things to check BEFORE attempting to adjust your steering box.

what condition are the radius arm bushings in

are all four "c" bushings in place (79 and prior)

if you have a two or three piece steering shaft, what condition are the joints in

drag link end and tie rod end play

ball joint condition

wheel bearing adjustment

track bar bushing condition (solid axle only)

toe in adjustment

tire pressures

tire condition

steering stabilizer condition

loose steering box to frame bolts ( quite common on EB's with larger tires)

is the sector shaft in the steering box "jumping" up and down...

(this would require the previously mentioned adjustment, NOT recommended for the novice wrench turner)

Twin Traction Beam bushings

It is fairly common for 80 and newer Fords to have cracks/ break in or at the engine crossmember or the frame

where the crossmember mounts, a tire on the ground "wiggle" can be used to check these areas.

These items will require two people to check,

the tie rod ,drag link,sector shaft,and all bushings can be checked by having a friend sit in the truck and "wiggle" the steering wheel back and forth about 1/2" each direction, carefully watch each joint or bushing and look for play at each piece, for the steering box to move on the frame, or for the sector shaft to "jump" up and down ( the sector is the piece of the steering box that the pitman arm bolts onto.)

The ball joints and wheel bearings can be checked by jacking under the diff until there is a couple of inches under the tire,( use a jack stand to support the truck) grab the tire at 12 and 6, feel for top to bottom movement ( in and out) at the places you've grabbed. If you can't feel movement, the wheel bearings are ok.

Have a friend do this so you can watch the ball joints... do the same top/bottom "wiggle":

movement in the ball joints indicates wear.

Get a two or three foot lever ( steel bar works well) put it under the tire ( make sure the truck is still secure on the jack stand) gently lift the bar while watching the ball joints for movement, allow the tire to drop all the way between lifts,

up/ down movement in the ball joints indicates wear.

Toe in can be checked by measuring the difference between the centre of the tread on the front and back of the tires across the truck. Measure the tires at the same level to get an accurate measurement. The difference is your "toe-in".

Depending on your tire size, this should be anywhere from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch.

To check your steering stabilizer, simply unbolt one end of it, see if it extends and collapses using the same amount of force each way. It should have a steady resistance all the way through its travel in either direction, without being harder one way or the other.

One other item to check while your truck is in the air is the axle u-joint, lock the hub, turn the steering to full lock ( either direction) and turn the tire. If you feel a tight spot as the wheel turns, make note of where the grease zerk is, if during the next rotation, the same resistance is felt at the same point in rotation, you have a bad axle u-joint. If you change an axle u-joint DON'T forget to grease the spindle bearings!!!

Good luck in doing your inspection... if you find any thing that you feel is worn, make a note of it and take it to your local shop, most places around here will do a

steering inspection like this for about 1/2 hours labor.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
No problem, but since you mentioned that you had poor handling before the lift went in, here is a check list for you to go through on your truck...
" sloppy " steering can be caused by a multitude of problems...

some are cheap fixes, some can become costly...

This is a list of things to check BEFORE attempting to adjust your steering box.

what condition are the radius arm bushings in

are all four "c" bushings in place (79 and prior)

if you have a two or three piece steering shaft, what condition are the joints in

drag link end and tie rod end play

ball joint condition

wheel bearing adjustment

track bar bushing condition (solid axle only)

toe in adjustment

tire pressures

tire condition

steering stabilizer condition

loose steering box to frame bolts ( quite common on EB's with larger tires)

is the sector shaft in the steering box "jumping" up and down...

(this would require the previously mentioned adjustment, NOT recommended for the novice wrench turner)

Twin Traction Beam bushings

It is fairly common for 80 and newer Fords to have cracks/ break in or at the engine crossmember or the frame

where the crossmember mounts, a tire on the ground "wiggle" can be used to check these areas.

These items will require two people to check,

the tie rod ,drag link,sector shaft,and all bushings can be checked by having a friend sit in the truck and "wiggle" the steering wheel back and forth about 1/2" each direction, carefully watch each joint or bushing and look for play at each piece, for the steering box to move on the frame, or for the sector shaft to "jump" up and down ( the sector is the piece of the steering box that the pitman arm bolts onto.)

The ball joints and wheel bearings can be checked by jacking under the diff until there is a couple of inches under the tire,( use a jack stand to support the truck) grab the tire at 12 and 6, feel for top to bottom movement ( in and out) at the places you've grabbed. If you can't feel movement, the wheel bearings are ok.

Have a friend do this so you can watch the ball joints... do the same top/bottom "wiggle":

movement in the ball joints indicates wear.

Get a two or three foot lever ( steel bar works well) put it under the tire ( make sure the truck is still secure on the jack stand) gently lift the bar while watching the ball joints for movement, allow the tire to drop all the way between lifts,

up/ down movement in the ball joints indicates wear.

Toe in can be checked by measuring the difference between the centre of the tread on the front and back of the tires across the truck. Measure the tires at the same level to get an accurate measurement. The difference is your "toe-in".

Depending on your tire size, this should be anywhere from 1/8 inch to 1/4 inch.

To check your steering stabilizer, simply unbolt one end of it, see if it extends and collapses using the same amount of force each way. It should have a steady resistance all the way through its travel in either direction, without being harder one way or the other.

One other item to check while your truck is in the air is the axle u-joint, lock the hub, turn the steering to full lock ( either direction) and turn the tire. If you feel a tight spot as the wheel turns, make note of where the grease zerk is, if during the next rotation, the same resistance is felt at the same point in rotation, you have a bad axle u-joint. If you change an axle u-joint DON'T forget to grease the spindle bearings!!!

Good luck in doing your inspection... if you find any thing that you feel is worn, make a note of it and take it to your local shop, most places around here will do a

steering inspection like this for about 1/2 hours labor.

Thanks STILKIKN! I have a free afternoon and will take your list and the previous pictures provided and see where the problem lies.

Thank you everyone for your help. When I have an answer I will pass it on.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
Hey STILKIKN you still out there??? After looking over my check list and comparing to yours the wheel bearing adjustment jumps out. Is there a correct torque? I basically tightened bearing nut untill the tire rotation had good resistance and backed off two notches before locking in with the lock/pin ring.

Should they be tighter?

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Getting there,

I've pulled wrenches for long enough that I do this completely by feel....

If you have a long breaker bar you can try this method.

Remove the outer adjuster nut, remove the lock ring. Using a half inch breaker bar no less than 18" long tighten the inner nut until you feel resistance in the bearing (turning the wheel as you tighten, do not crank the nut tight, you are just trying to seat the bearings)

Back the nut off, with the breaker bar at about two o'clock, let it fall under its own weight, turn the wheel again, back the nut off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and let the weight of the bar tighten the nut again. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel, feel for any slop top to bottom, if it feels good re-install the lock ring and tighten the outer nut. The Ford manual I have uses 50 ft lbs to seat the bearings after a repack, 30 to 40 for final inner torque, and 50 for the final install of the outer.

I actually use closer to 100 for my final outer nut torque, but remember that the outer nut will tighten the inner slightly, so check that you still have a nice feel to the rotation of the wheel before you set it back on the ground.

If your brakes are tight, you will not get the proper feel for the rotation of the tire, with drums, back off the adjuster, and with discs, make sure you spread the caliper slightly to reduce the drag.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
Getting there,I've pulled wrenches for long enough that I do this completely by feel....

If you have a long breaker bar you can try this method.

Remove the outer adjuster nut, remove the lock ring. Using a half inch breaker bar no less than 18" long tighten the inner nut until you feel resistance in the bearing (turning the wheel as you tighten, do not crank the nut tight, you are just trying to seat the bearings)

Back the nut off, with the breaker bar at about two o'clock, let it fall under its own weight, turn the wheel again, back the nut off 1/8 to 1/4 turn and let the weight of the bar tighten the nut again. Grab the top and bottom of the wheel, feel for any slop top to bottom, if it feels good re-install the lock ring and tighten the outer nut. The Ford manual I have uses 50 ft lbs to seat the bearings after a repack, 30 to 40 for final inner torque, and 50 for the final install of the outer.

I actually use closer to 100 for my final outer nut torque, but remember that the outer nut will tighten the inner slightly, so check that you still have a nice feel to the rotation of the wheel before you set it back on the ground.

If your brakes are tight, you will not get the proper feel for the rotation of the tire, with drums, back off the adjuster, and with discs, make sure you spread the caliper slightly to reduce the drag.

Sounds like I never fully seated the bearings. I snugged them and then went by feel. Nothing close to 50 lbs- 100lbs.

Thanks again for your help.

OP
OP
G

gettin there

Reaction score
50-100 is final for the outer.... don't over torque the inners!!
Turns out after re-seating the front bearings the steering inproved 100%. I can not believe the difference in the steering! It drives sooooo goooooooood my wife took off for a couple hours. Love burning that fossil fuel.

Thank you all for the suggestions and help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23