Starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burns

Reaction score
So a few weeks back I had to take the starter solinoid off the fender to put in my daily driver, another Ford, sicne gas is up to 4 bucks a gallon. And now that I put another one in, a new one, as soon as I connect the battery it cranks. I don't leave it on long enough to start, if it will, but I thought it was a faulty solinoid. So I got another new one, put it in, same thing. Anyone have any ideas? The guy I got it from had fog lights put on the underside of the bumper and a remote starter/door keyfob installed, so could the remote starter be malfunctioning? I've also been told it could possibly be the starter going bad. I really want to get it back up and running, I got mud and dirt to play in. Thanks.

BroncoJoe19

Reaction score
Hey Burns,

DO you have a Haynes manual? You are going to have to back track your starting system.

AND you may need more help than I can give you regarding your remote start system.

Just trying to think this through.

12 volt goes to the ignition switch, then to the bat side of the coil and to the starter relay on the fender.

IF you have 12 volts without the key in, at the bat side of the coil, AND the small post of the starter relay, then the problem is not the starter. IT is in the switch, perhaps the remote, or some other short.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the wires in the correct location on the start relay? Does it do that if the small red with light blue stripe wire is not hooked up?

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
B

Burns

Reaction score
Are you sure you have the wires in the correct location on the start relay? Does it do that if the small red with light blue stripe wire is not hooked up?
Good luck,

:)>-

Update - got to meddle with it for an hour tonight after work. Put in a *known good* solinoid (my friend's F250's) and nada. After tracing wires and finding the box to the damned remote starter, we came to the conclusion that the remote starter's cpu box was the problem. Went to put the solinoid back in his truck, and nada. Made a few phone calls, turns out we both have the wires wrong. We got his set up first new try, we're gonna mess with mine tomorrow after I get home.

Well, learning the hard way. At least I can say that I didn't ***** up even though I'm in school for it; I haven't had any sort of classes or prior experience with this kinda thing aside from R&Ring alternators. And turns out his truck was somehow running with the wires all sorts of wrong, hence why we messed up resetting mine. We used it as guide and guiding off of a wrong setup equals a wrong setup haha.

Thanks, Seabronc.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK