87 Bronco starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ichblas

Reaction score
I have a intermittent problem in starting my Bronco. Sometimes you turn the key on and try starting it is totally dead. It you get out and rock the vehicle and try starting again, it starts. A mechanic said may be the ignition in the steering column? I am thinking the starter motor? Don't know where to start!

L\Bronco

Reaction score
Totally dead?
No lights on the dash or anything?
If that is the case, start at battery cable connections (Both ends, at the battery and the solenoid for + and the block for-)
If it simply wont crank, listen for a click at the solenoid on the inner fender.
If there is nothing, test for voltage at the r\b on the S term of the solenoid while holding the key in crank.
If it clicks, test for voltage at the big terminal that heads to the starter (while the solenoid is engaged) If yes, head to the starter, if no test the voltage at the other big terminal (batt in) (again, while engaged)
That should get you started.
Cheers

OP
OP
Ichblas

Ichblas

Reaction score
Totally dead?
No lights on the dash or anything?
If that is the case, start at battery cable connections (Both ends, at the battery and the solenoid for + and the block for-)
If it simply wont crank, listen for a click at the solenoid on the inner fender.
If there is nothing, test for voltage at the r\b on the S term of the solenoid while holding the key in crank.
If it clicks, test for voltage at the big terminal that heads to the starter (while the solenoid is engaged) If yes, head to the starter, if no test the voltage at the other big terminal (batt in) (again, while engaged)
That should get you started.
Cheers
Thanks! I know where to go!!

Motech

Reaction score
Tilt column?

If so, next time it happens, move your column into a higher tilt position and retry it. If it cranks then, you likely have a broken ignition actuator inside the column.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22